New Orleans Elation Oil Spill

rick&james

• 3 months later...

Just to clear things up, I'm the one who recorded the videos DXTMR posted and was also on board the ship when this happened. DXTMR is only a close friend.

We got to the NOLA St. Juliana Terminal somewhere around 3pm. I think by the time we got to our cabin, this happened, but I'm not quite sure. We didn't see this mess going through the boarding bridge. They were broadcasting about it by the time we reached our cabin, about 3:30. Half an hour before dinner was when I recorded most of the videos DXTMR posted.

When it was time for dinner, the whole incident forced them to cut back on the dress code for the dining room. After dinner was over at about 11pm, I split from my party to take a look from the starboard promenade deck at the site. It looked like they were about 3/5 of the way done.

The whole thing didn't end until after midnight. When we started moving, it was literally 1:30am. We didn't leave the mouth of the river until 10am the next morning.

There was one good thing though: we docked in Cozumel at noon, started rebarking at sunset, and set sail again at 8pm. That made for a sight to see. I'd totally put up a picture of the Elation at sunset if I totally found that SD card again.

Archived