Over-protective grandmother has a question about the Kid's program.

maja

The pp are right. The kids Crew staff will take them all over the ship. Other examples are scavenger hunts, parades, water gun fights on the deck, organized games outside, to the theater for the evening production shows, they will go get ice cream in the buffet as a group. They will do multiple activities outside the 4 walls of the kids club room.

It's an active kids program. They have fun, they move around, they aren't confined to one room. That's not how parents want their kids cared for either.

For another poster to suggest that you just keep your kids with you and not do the kids club is the best suggestion. There's no way your kids would have a good experience if they can't do most of the activities. Then you would require a staff member to stay back with your kids. This would affect the staff to kid ratio of the entire rest of the group.

I think it's a little judgemental for you to say how all parents want their kids cared for. My question was not on parenting skills. I honestly think that I'm not the only one out there who feels more comfortable knowing beforehand what is planned for the day & given the opportunity to make my own decision. Not all parents want their small kids all over the ship, especially outdoors.

Seems to me you're suggesting its "All or Nothing". If I didn't feel comfortable with my granddaughters participating in a certain activity, that's my right & I just wouldn't send them to the club during that time. I don't think I made it sound as though I was intending to send them all the time & have them affect the staff to kid ratio, and if I did, I guess I wasn't clear. All I'm saying is I was hoping I would know what activities were scheduled & would have the option of having them participate or not... which thanks to some of the replies here I now know I do.

I think it's a little judgemental for you to say how all parents want their kids cared for. My question was not on parenting skills. I honestly think that I'm not the only one out there who feels more comfortable knowing beforehand what is planned for the day & given the opportunity to make my own decision. Not all parents want their small kids all over the ship, especially outdoors.

Seems to me you're suggesting its "All or Nothing". If I didn't feel comfortable with my granddaughters participating in a certain activity, that's my right & I just wouldn't send them to the club during that time. I don't think I made it sound as though I was intending to send them all the time & have them affect the staff to kid ratio, and if I did, I guess I wasn't clear. All I'm saying is I was hoping I would know what activities were scheduled & would have the option of having them participate or not... which thanks to some of the replies here I now know I do.

I think it is all in reading comprehension.:(

I believe this poster was referring to a comment made to me and my reply to another poster who actually had a surprise take away. I was actually acknowledging the validity of that poster being upset (at the time) because it was not previously noted and came back to find their child not there. That responder filled in the empty spaces to make my post out to be something it wasn’t.

I agree with you completely that there are those “who feel more comfortable knowing beforehand what is planned for the day & given the opportunity to make my own decision. Not all parents want their small kids all over the ship, especially outdoors.”

I’m glad some were able to put your mind at ease.

The pp are right. The kids Crew staff will take them all over the ship. Other examples are scavenger hunts, parades, water gun fights on the deck, organized games outside, to the theater for the evening production shows, they will go get ice cream in the buffet as a group. They will do multiple activities outside the 4 walls of the kids club room.

It's an active kids program. They have fun, they move around, they aren't confined to one room. That's not how parents want their kids cared for either.

For another poster to suggest that you just keep your kids with you and not do the kids club is the best suggestion. There's no way your kids would have a good experience if they can't do most of the activities. Then you would require a staff member to stay back with your kids. This would affect the staff to kid ratio of the entire rest of the group.

Your assumptions are way off the mark. Many parents don't want to keep their children locked in a program day and night for the duration as you suggest. It is not the proper 'experience'. Most parents actually enjoy being with their kids and only want a short diversion.

Parents have become very cautious with what their children do and where their children go. Many parents will no longer let their children go on school outings such as ammusement parks. Although the children are supposedly in good hands, statistics show that too many accidents happen. I remember a drowning at Dourney Park as though it was yesterday.... on a school supervised trip. Throw that "good experience" (as you refer to) to the wind in return for safety and peace of mind.

Your comment, "Then you would require a staff member to stay back with your kids. This would affect the staff to kid ratio" means you would accept that safety might or could be compromised. This should not be an option. One should insist their children's program is fully staffed. And, what is this ratio? Do you know what a safe 'ratio' is, or are you just shooting from the hip?

Your understanding that, "water gun fights on the deck" is a safe and fun thing leaves me to believe you do not have children. Statistics show that the liquor sales pitch has caused many incidents and fatalities. I certainly wouldn't want my child to accidentally shoot a disgruntled drunk. I shudder to think of what might happen.

Your assumptions are way off the mark. Many parents don't want to keep their children locked in a program day and night for the duration as you suggest. It is not the proper 'experience'. Most parents actually enjoy being with their kids and only want a short diversion.

Parents have become very cautious with what their children do and where their children go. Many parents will no longer let their children go on school outings such as ammusement parks. Although the children are supposedly in good hands, statistics show that too many accidents happen. I remember a drowning at Dourney Park as though it was yesterday.... on a school supervised trip. Throw that "good experience" (as you refer to) to the wind in return for safety and peace of mind.

Your comment, "Then you would require a staff member to stay back with your kids. This would affect the staff to kid ratio" means you would accept that safety might or could be compromised. This should not be an option. One should insist their children's program is fully staffed. And, what is this ratio? Do you know what a safe 'ratio' is, or are you just shooting from the hip?

I won't disagree with what you said but will add to it. And many parents and/or grandparents, like the OP, just want to know ahead of time what is happening, to make the decision themselves on what they are comfortable with their child/grandchild doing or where they are going.

IMO that doesn't make them bad or overprotective, just responsible.

Archived