NCL Panama Canal

jeanied

You guys are killing me here! Does no one have a review of the April 2004 NCL sailing through the Panama Canal??

I'm very needy, you know...

Jeanie icon_razz.gif

Days until the Bahamas on the Majesty of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;9;24;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Days until the W. Caribbean on the Imagination

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;11;18;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Days until the Panama Canal on the Sun

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;4;16;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

I just wrote a rather lenghty review and just before I hit the send button my computer cut out! Ugggggggg! I'll try again later today or tomorrow. It was a fantastic cruise!!

NCL Dream - Canada/NE 9/25/02

NCL Sun - Alaska 7/13/03

NCL Sun - Panama Canal 4/11/04

Okay, we'll try again. I'll try posting this in shorter segments. For me the cruise couldn't have been any better. We had great weather, smooth sailing, interesting ports, wonderful entertainment, friendly and helpful crew, and very good food. The NCL Sun was just out of dry dock and thoroughly cleaned and painted, with new carpeting in many areas.

I was traveling with a girlfriend and our interests were very similar. I had not been to any of the ports of call before and our first was Aruba. There we took the "Town and Country" bus tour. This covered the highlights of the island and the driver even stopped (by mistake) at an Aloa factory, so that was a bonus. As the ship is docked very close to the downtown area of Oranjestad, following the tour we ate lunch on the ship and then walked to the shopping area.

The Panama Canal took a full day to transit and it proved to be very interesting, with a narration at any special points. The weather there was very hot and humid and the top front deck was very crowded, so we spent a lot of time on our balcony or walking around the Promenade Deck.

Our next port was Puntarenas, Costa Rica. There we took the "Scenic Sarchi" bus tour, which took us up into the mountains to the small town of Sarchi, famous for wood carvers and artisans who hand paint the ox carts. The gift shop in this town was wonderful and full of hand made gifts at reasonable prices. This was a 5-1/2 hr. tour but worth the time spent and a good way to see the island.

The 4 Mexican ports were somewhat similar, being Acapulco, Manzanillo, Puerto Vallarta, and Cabo San Lucas. In each case we took bus tours that were scenic and included shopping. In Cabo San Lucas our tour included a boat ride on a 400 passenger boat "Caborey", which took us close to the Land's End rock formations.

In San Diego I have a first cousin who met us as we got off the ship and was our personal "tour guide" for the day. That was a great day for family and sightseeing.

To be continued - - -

NCL Sun - Alaska 7/13/03

Continued - - -

Entertainment: Fantastic! Headliner shows in the Stardust Lounge included the Jean-Ann Ryan Company 3 production shows, singer Stephen Kane, magic show of Chris Blackmore, comedy shows of Richi Minervini and Steven J. Daniels, "comedy & ventriloquism of Ken & Casey, a man & his duck!" (This was hilarious!!!), and Russian classical pianist Elena Ivanini. Something for everyone. The "heart throb" of the cruise (for us ladies anyway!) was a flamenco guitarist from Argentina, Fabio Zino. What talent and showmanship!! Others we enjoyed performing in the various lounges were pianists Nathan Kelly and Bobby Hamilton, and singers "Twice As Nice."

The Captain was Constantinos Fafalios and he was very friendly and accessable. The best I've seen on my 3 cruises. We saw him frequently and they even set up a time when he signed souveniers for the passengers.

To be continued - - -

NCL Sun - Alaska 7/13/03

Continued - - -

Specialty Restaurants: We ate in Le Bistro, Pacific Heights, Teppanyaki, and Las Ramblas. All were very good, as was the food in the Seven Seas, Four Seasons and the Garden and Outdoor Cafe. On shore excursion days (for the first time for me) we ordered room service and that worked out very well. They had a choice of juice, fruit, cold cereal, muffins & danish rolls, yogurt, coffee or tea. We would also request ice and would receive a large pitcher from which we could fill our water containers for the shore excursion day. They were very prompt, even a few minutes early for the times we requested, and they would call us on the phone telling when they were on the way. We always gave them a tip, but they always acted like they really didn't expect one and seem very appreciative.

I would rate this cruise with 4 stars and wouldn't hesitate to go again. The 16 days certainly did not seem too long as the time went very fast. The Sun is a beautiful ship and truly felt like home after more than two weeks.

If anyone has any specific questions, I will be glad to try to answer them.

Kathleen

NCL Sun - Alaska 7/13/03

I forgot one thing. We had 14 Cruise Critic members in our group with whom we became very well acquainted. We met several times and hope to see you again on future cruises. You all helped make it a most enjoyable time!!

Kathleen

NCL Sun - Alaska 7/13/03

Kathleen, thank you! We are doing the cruise with Jeanied in 4/05. We are also staying on for the 5 day to Vancouver, BC.

What cabin did you have? I see in photos that there is a coffee maker in the rooms..true? What about bathrobes? We are in a BA, #0005. Sure appreciate any details.

Sally

NCL Sky 9/00

RCCL 3/01,5/01,5/02,6/02, 9/02,10/02,4/03,8/03,11/03,

4/04,8/04

HAL 9/04 b2b

NCL Sun 4/05 b2b

Schooner Bar rules!

sally r:

We were in BC cabin 8235. Yes, there is a coffee maker with instant coffee, but no bathrobes. A very nice cabin with lots of storage space. We loved the balcony. So nice for fresh air and to check the temperature, etc. Very relaxing to sit there and sail away! Can't wait to go again some time!

NCL Sun - Alaska 7/13/03

Kathleen, we are in 8245 for the 4/05 voyage. Did you have any noise problems from the deck below? Glad that you enjoyed the cruise and thanks for the great review! icon_smile.gif

Statendam-Alaska '97, Veendam-NE/Canada '98, RCCL-Bermuda, '99, Am. Queen, 2000, NCL Sky-Caribbean '03, NCL Dawn - Bahamas '03

NCL Sun Panama Canal

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;4;16;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeanied:

You guys are killing me here! Does _no one_ have a review of the April 2004 NCL sailing through the Panama Canal??

I'm very needy, you know...

Jeanie

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeanie,

I've been gone a few days. Check "Panama Canal Sky reviews". 18 of us on the Sky April 18 to May 12. Have fun!

Norwegian Sky Back-to-back

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;04;18;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Bigal--

No noice whatsoever from the deck below, above, or from the cabins on either side.

Kathleen

NCL Sun - Alaska 7/13/03

I was one of Iowagal's CC group on the cruise. We tended to do different tours and activities but always enjoyed meeting with Iowagal for dinner to discuss our activities.

With some research you can get some great tour deals on the internet. On Aruba we did an island tour on the Banana bus and snorkeling at Baby Beach (arubaexperts.com). In Costa Rica we did the Jungle River Cruise through JD Watersports. In San Diego we wanted to do the harbour tour and got a 20% discount by buying it online.

If you plan to do some shopping in Mexico, forget about Acapulco. The flea market is way overpriced and they know how to make you feel good while they literally pick your pocket, even when you haggle. Silver, vanilla and t-shirts were much cheaper in Puerto Vallarta and Cabo. We got a liter bottle of 90% vanilla in Cabo for only $8!

We participated in the Sports Afloat program and had a great time with the walk a mile, stretch classes and Olympics. Every sea day there was a golf putting competition in the Atrium. The last sea day the regulars were divided into two teams. My wife was on the winning team and she received a nice certificate signed by the captain and the CD.

We had an inside cabin, 5302, right behind the reception area. We called the atrium our living room. We loved the location and there was no problem with noise.

Norwegian Sun 5/04 (Panama Canal)

Norwegian Majesty 4/03

Norwegian Sky 12/02 Norway 4/02

Holiday 11/01 Sensation 2/01

Fascination 4/99

Carousel 4/97

Hi Barry--

So glad you jumped in here and gave some of your activities. It was so great getting acquainted with you and Heather. Hope we're on the same cruise again some time in the future.

Kathleen

NCL Sun - Alaska 7/13/03

Archived