Cenotes around Progreso

MizErin1215

I want to visit a couple cenotes around Progreso when we dock there on April 11. I would take the Carnival excursion, but I'd rather not bike, which is included. Would anyone recommend an independently ran excursion group for something like this? Thanks!

I want to visit a couple cenotes around Progreso when we dock there on April 11. I would take the Carnival excursion, but I'd rather not bike, which is included. Would anyone recommend an independently ran excursion group for something like this? Thanks!

I don't know specifically about cenote tours but you can check with Autoprogreso to see if they offer them. We've used AP several times for other tours and never had a problem.

Carnival offers a four-hour tour to swim or look at the cenotes... it's $60 a person... NO BIKE RIDING INVOLVED! You take a bus from the dock for a 30 minute ride to the cenote... then you have 3 hours to explore the ruins and/or swim in the cenote... then 30 minute ride back to the port. It's called Dzibilchaltun Mayan Ruins Tour. The pictures and reviews here on Cruise Critic have been fairly good.

Excursion Description

Go on an excursion of the archaeological site of Dzibilchaltun (dzeeble-chal-toon), one of the most important ceremonial centers of the Mayan world.

On this excursion you will:

• See many important buildings of this amazing Mayan culture.
  • Learn about the many archaeological and astronomical wonders of this site, including one of the most important archeo-astronomical phenomena which occurs during the solstice and the equinox.
  • Enjoy a refreshing swim in a large sinkhole called “Cenote de X’Lacah” after touring the ruins.

Note: This excursion is ideal for those who want to experience the thrill of exploring a Mayan ruin without investing the entire day as required by the distance of the other locations.

Guests are only permitted to take a camera and water to the ruins; personal belongings may be left aboard the bus. Guests wishing to stay at the beach or in town after touring the ruins will be responsible for their return to the ship, either by taxi or the free shuttle. It is recommended that you wear comfortable walking shoes, a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen and light-colored, loose fitting clothes. Bring a bathing suit & towel if you wish to swim in the cenote.

I only know this because we are considering this excursion. Hope this helps you! :)

About 2 hours inland (about 3 miles or so from Chichen Itza), there's this amazing cenote called Ik kil. It's one of the prettiest places we've ever visited. My husband, our three teenagers, and I went there on our cruise in 2009. With my *very* limited Spanish, we hired a gentleman to drive us. He was exceedingly helpful, patient and kind.

1292354348_02-2009Cruise03128(3)(480x640).jpg.8ee8927c84104b2ece2df37fc48b300f.jpg

Archived