Alaska port specific family friendly dares

AmysonHenry

Hi! I was concerned about my kids getting a little bored when we do our Skagway rental car excursion. I loved doing that stretch of Yukon highway before but I'm thinking from the 3rd row of a minivan - not so much fun for the kids. I've decided to come up with some "dare" cards that get handed out to everyone and will have to be done along the way, with camera proof. Sort of our own Amazing Race task list, I guess you could call it. Then I thought, why not make these for the entire cruise?

Does anyone have any fun suggestions? We will be traveling with our kids, ages 13 and 9, and the grandparents. Here are some ideas I have so far:

• Sing a verse of "Oh Canada" at the Welcome to Canada sign
  • Challenge a gunslinger to a duel (really just pose for a pic)
  • Climb the Chilkoot Trail (there's a photo background when you stop to play with the iditerod puppies)
  • Crawl for thirst in the tiniest desert

So I still need some ideas. The above are all for Skagway but we will also be stopping in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria. Any creative geniuses out there that can help me add to my list? Thanks!!

I love scavenger hunts, so I'll probably be thinking about this all day (and then posting some pretty ridiculous ideas!)

How about a picture of something that starts with each letter of either 'Alaska' or the names of the cities you visit. So 'Juneau,' for instance, could maybe be pictures of a Jogger, a Union sign, someone's Nose, an Eagle, an Anchor, and an Umbrella.

I love scavenger hunts, so I'll probably be thinking about this all day (and then posting some pretty ridiculous ideas!)

How about a picture of something that starts with each letter of either 'Alaska' or the names of the cities you visit. So 'Juneau,' for instance, could maybe be pictures of a Jogger, a Union sign, someone's Nose, an Eagle, an Anchor, and an Umbrella.

I wasn't even thinking in those terms but I LOVE it! Wow, thanks for the idea! Let me know if you come up with others :D

Ohhhhhhh, can I play, please, please????:D:D

1) Photo of a purple (or other brightly colored) starfish in Ketchikan.

2) Extra points to whoever spots a bear, whale, sealion or eagle first.

3) A photo with the copper colored Annie Oakley busker in Victoria.

4) Kiss the statue of the famous dog at the pier in Juneau.

5) Picture of a specific totem pole behind the Cape Fox Lodge in Ketchikan.

6) Who can devour a reindeer sausage fastest?

7) Photo with Tracy of Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau.

8) A peanut shell from the floor of the Red Dog Saloon.

9) Photo holding a piece of glacier ice from Mendenhal.

10) Pan for gold in the Yukon - even flakes count!

11) Find a feather - there are plenty of different species of birds in every port - extra points for an eagle feather!

12) Photo of the "Welcome to (fill in the blank)" sign in every port.

13) Canadian coins from Victoria.

14) Photo of rain guage in Ketchikan.

15) Photo of graffiti wall in Skagway.

I'll be back later with more;). Thanks for letting me play!

I just wanted to say thank you!! :D This is a great idea & I have subscribed to your thread...We have 2 boys (9 & 17) and this will be a fun-filled activity for them to partake in, while breaking up a long ride! They are competitive, and will be great for them to "race to the finish". Now I have to pray that it doesn't cause additional bickering-LOL! :p Safe travels and great memories to you & your family!!

I love these ideas!! Thanks so much! Keep 'em coming :)

I'm debating between typing these on index cards, punching a hole in them, and connecting them with a key ring. Maybe just write the name of the person who completed it on the card? That would be easy to keep in my purse. Or typing up a list for everyone with boxes to check and then see who can complete the most?

Either way - I love it! Thanks for offering up suggestions. WaggesAZ, I'm so glad you like the idea too! Let us know if you think of any ideas. Woohoo fun times!

I love these ideas!! Thanks so much! Keep 'em coming :)

I'm debating between typing these on index cards, punching a hole in them, and connecting them with a key ring. Maybe just write the name of the person who completed it on the card? That would be easy to keep in my purse. Or typing up a list for everyone with boxes to check and then see who can complete the most?

Either way - I love it! Thanks for offering up suggestions. WaggesAZ, I'm so glad you like the idea too! Let us know if you think of any ideas. Woohoo fun times!

I think just typing up the list might work best (but be sure to bring extra copies for those who lose the list, or if weather makes someone's unreadable!!)...then at the end of the trip, when you go through everyone's photos, you can check them off...gives a great reason to sit down together and relive the trip by going through photos!

Keeping something in your purse puts the onus on you to keep track...you might want to avoid that responsibility!

I don't know when you're going, but if you encounter snow anyplace....a photo of standing barefoot in the snow, or throwing a snowball, etc.

Photos of at least 3 species of trees... 5 kinds of boats/ships/watercraft of any kind...3 types of air transportation... 5 different species of birds...4 street signs with definite Alaskan flavor names...a mosquito (dead or alive)...

Some of those sound like fun photo opportunities without the "game" part!

Having been the victim of far too many car trips growing up, we regularly played the ABC game - When we got to "Q" my mom said that see sawa truck that said, "Dickies Quality..." Only when we got close enough to see the truck, Quality was no where to be seen.;)

Hi! I was concerned about my kids getting a little bored when we do our Skagway rental car excursion. I loved doing that stretch of Yukon highway before but I'm thinking from the 3rd row of a minivan - not so much fun for the kids. I've decided to come up with some "dare" cards that get handed out to everyone and will have to be done along the way, with camera proof. Sort of our own Amazing Race task list, I guess you could call it. Then I thought, why not make these for the entire cruise?

Does anyone have any fun suggestions? We will be traveling with our kids, ages 13 and 9, and the grandparents. Here are some ideas I have so far:

• Sing a verse of "Oh Canada" at the Welcome to Canada sign
  • Challenge a gunslinger to a duel (really just pose for a pic)
  • Climb the Chilkoot Trail (there's a photo background when you stop to play with the iditerod puppies)
  • Crawl for thirst in the tiniest desert

So I still need some ideas. The above are all for Skagway but we will also be stopping in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria. Any creative geniuses out there that can help me add to my list? Thanks!!

Sorry, I can't help with minubis activites. But I'm compelled to say:

Our then 9YO grandson loved every minute of Alaska.

I'm firmly convinced God made Alaska especially for kids!:)

Maybe their teachers can suggest some school lessons to do on the bus.:p

Archived