Parents, Please control your kids!!!!!

cruisin again

We just returned from our 4/10 cruise on the Valor. There were only a few

kids on board. From what we noticed the teenagers were really well-behaved. But, at the last formal night show (10:30pm) some parents

came in with their three-year-old. From the minute they sat down, this

little girl climbed all over the seat in front of them with an elderly lady

sitting in it. This child was stepping on this women's shoulders, arms, and

dress. These parents never said or did one thing to get this child to stop.

We moved down a few seats because it was very distracting to us as well.

It's funny...I spoke abou the 'risks' of cruising on other threads pertaining to maintenance issues and extreme weather. I think that this issue falls in the same category, unfortunately.

Most parents aren't like the one you describe..but all it takes is a few to destroy your mood, so I sympathize with you totally. The sad fact is that the parents that you want to see your post won't see themselves as a problem....so again, like everything else, if you want to cruise, bad kids have to be taken into consideration because there will always be a few.

Before the irate parents come on here and insist that you try a different cruise line, I'd like to say that I hope the rest of your cruise was fun and you had a good time.

I think too many parents have the "Isn't that so cute" syndrome, and think that the rest of the world will forgive everything their child does because of this. (Just my opinion). ;)

Mine too.:rolleyes:

I think too many parents have the "Isn't that so cute" syndrome, and think that the rest of the world will forgive everything their child does because of this. (Just my opinion).

Oh not only that--but some will get downright abusive if you try to say anything! I've heard parents curse at people who were fairly polite about asking them to control their children.

I don't think the problem parents will see this post and say...Ok...I'll watch my kids. I wish they would, but they seem to be totally oblivious to what their children are doing.

We were seated at a restaurant in Key Largo, next to a large group with approx. 6 kids (who were running around). The parents weren't even looking at the kids. The kids were running the isles, circling tables, and basically causing chaos in this restaurant.

I told the waitress that we wanted to be seated somewhere else....as far away from that "bunch" as possible. These people didn't even bat an eye when we were moved...they didn't care.

Once we were seated, the waitress told us that this large group arrives almost every day for lunch, and it's always the same...chaos. On that day, they plowed their big boat into a pole and ruined it (can't imagine what they did to their boat. The waitress said it would cost $300 to fix the damage the boat caused, yet these people were still welcomed with open arms by the management. Go figure...

We won't make a return visit to this place...and it's too bad, because the view and the food was wonderful. We did tell management what we thought about the situation when we left, and we filled out the comment card and mailed it also. Never heard from anyone. But it doesn't matter because we won't eat there again.

In the end the parents will suffer....because those out of control kids will grow up and be out of control teenagers. Then they will wish they had paid attention. I have seen that with several friends.

Oh not only that--but some will get downright abusive if you try to say anything! I've heard parents curse at people who were fairly polite about asking them to control their children.

One time, we were at a restaurant (where most of our problems seem to happen), and this little girl was kicking and screaming in my ear (behind us in the booth). I kept thinking...surely they are going to make her stop, but they didn't. So we moved, but before we left, I told the mom that I pitied her. She looked puzzled. I told her that I can only imagine how out of control her daughter will be when she is sixteen. Good luck getting sleep when she is out dating! She didn't say anything, and I usually don't say anything...because it's just easier to move.

Another restaurant that I love is the cafe in Nordstrom's but the one by us is loaded with moms with little screaming kids. I don't know why they subject these little kids to this place. When mine were little, they loved the balls at McDonalds. They screamed with delight. It seems they are more interested in doing what they want, than what will make their kids happy.

I know kids will be kids, heck I have kids. I understand they cry and carry on...I know this. But I just don't understand how people can allow them to run amok. You couldn't pay me enough to be an elementary or pre-school teacher. I have friends who are teachers, and they told me that the kids that are entering school are more defiant than ever. They are hard to control, and the entire classroom suffers.

Hello all,

It's amazing how something like that can ruin your day. I get all upset when I see kids "out of control", but it is a whole new ballgame when the parents don't even try. Don't get me started...my blood pressure is already going up. I have a 1 and 3 year old, and I care very much how they act in public or anywhere. If they start to make a scene, we leave. They get in trouble, and we go on with our day. We have been on 3 cruises with kids and they have never set foot in the dining room. That is because I didn't think they could handle it. I wasn't about to ruin someones dinner. Room service is a wonderful thing. So is the buffet.

It kills me when parents don't care how their children effect other people. Here I try as hard as I can not to bother people, because I know what it's like to go to a place and have some child screaming at the table next to me about not getting the pizza he wanted. Take the child and leave. I bet if that happened a few times he/she wouldn't do it anymore. OK...I'm done now. Take Care all!!

In the end the parents will suffer....because those out of control kids will grow up and be out of control teenagers. Then they will wish they had paid attention. I have seen that with several friends.

I SO agree with that...I've seen it as well. Even then, the parents don't make the connection...they are clueless.

were any of the above instances involving Latin American children? My niece was raised in Venezuela, and it is perfectly acceptable for children to run around in restaurants. For the life of me, I don't understand why, and I certainly don't agree with it - especially when they visit the US. We basically can't go out to eat when she's here b/c she doesn't understand how to behave. I second the OP's sentiments "Parents, Please control your kids!!!!!"

While I don't have any children myself (I am still in college), I am a server and I have to deal with way too many children running around the tables and acting crazy because their parents let them. There have been far too many times for me to count that a server has almost (or has) dropped a tray of food because a kid is running around. A restaurant is not a place for a child to run around it, the back yard is. I understand kids can get out of hand and can be hard to control. But if a parent isn't even trying to keep their child in control that is when it really bothers me. I also see that parents have the "my child is so cute" syndrome. While some of these kids are running around tables and into people you can see the look in a parent’s eye "aren't they adorable". Just my opinion. Glad to see that some parents feel the same way.

Rebecca

It kills me when parents don't care how their children effect other people. Here I try as hard as I can not to bother people, because I know what it's like to go to a place and have some child screaming at the table next to me about not getting the pizza he wanted. Take the child and leave. !!

Thank you MamaMicki!!!

Hello all,

It's amazing how something like that can ruin your day. I get all upset when I see kids "out of control", but it is a whole new ballgame when the parents don't even try. Don't get me started...my blood pressure is already going up. I have a 1 and 3 year old, and I care very much how they act in public or anywhere. If they start to make a scene, we leave. They get in trouble, and we go on with our day. We have been on 3 cruises with kids and they have never set foot in the dining room. That is because I didn't think they could handle it. I wasn't about to ruin someones dinner. Room service is a wonderful thing. So is the buffet.

It kills me when parents don't care how their children effect other people. Here I try as hard as I can not to bother people, because I know what it's like to go to a place and have some child screaming at the table next to me about not getting the pizza he wanted. Take the child and leave. I bet if that happened a few times he/she wouldn't do it anymore. OK...I'm done now. Take Care all!!

I couldn't agree with you more. We took our DD on a cruise last October, she was 13 months at the time. She also didn't see the inside of the dining room. We don't even go to certain sit-down restaurants at home (Olive Garden, steakhouses, Applebee's, you get the picture) because I KNOW she can not sit for that long. We try to keep things as simple and QUICK as possible.

I think too many parents have the "Isn't that so cute" syndrome, and think that the rest of the world will forgive everything their child does because of this. (Just my opinion). ;)

I agree. I don't find their childen cute at all and am waiting for the day when there are adults only cruises regularly offered. There are way too many parents just like this.

I am a parent myself and I find this incredibly funny...what would you do if this child mentioned before was YOURS...if you don't have children, it isn't your place to ask them another child what to do...Some parents think it is cute...listen...they had children for a reason, to enjoy them and like to be with them. .. .i know some parents enjoy making their child be well behaved, but some enjoy the fact that the child has a mind of its own:p

were any of the above instances involving Latin American children? My niece was raised in Venezuela, and it is perfectly acceptable for children to run around in restaurants. For the life of me, I don't understand why, and I certainly don't agree with it - especially when they visit the US. We basically can't go out to eat when she's here b/c she doesn't understand how to behave. I second the OP's sentiments "Parents, Please control your kids!!!!!"

I have a freind who is oringally from Ecuador and teaches now in the US she also has a 2 year old. they just recently went to visit and her father was outraged that the child had rules and guidelines he was expected to follow, and she said it was very hard to allow him to play with his cousins, because they were horribly behaved, she explained that children up to the time they are to enter school are allowed to do whatever they want! and she mean it literally! Her father was angry and stated that his grandson was the only child in ecuador who rode in a carseat, and he thought it was cruel.

go figure that!!!

Hello all,

If you think I enjoy the time and patience that it takes to have a child with manners...you are crazy. I do it because it is my job. It is my job to raise a child that acts properly in certain situations. If they can't ...then don't take them. As a parent it is your job to reinforce morals, manners, and to educate your child. I believe as a parent you are getting your child ready to become a productive part of society. I have a Master's degree and I am a stay-at-home Mom. This was my choice, because I grew up in daycare, and didn't like it at all. I work very hard at teaching my kids how they should treat people..including the people in the booth next to us at dinner. They should be mindful of others around them and show them the respect they deserve. That's all. My kids are the best and we have a great time. On our last cruise everybody knew my daughter's name, not because I was screaming it all the time, but because she would introduce herself. We will be on the Dec. 4 Miracle cruise..I am sure Gracie would love to meet you all. Take Care!!

From what I have just written I kinda sound like a real hard a**.:D Really I am not. I think kids should have a good time, but it is up to parents to decide which settings are to structured for kids. Often times parents think of their own wants and don't take the kids into consideration.

I am a parent myself and I find this incredibly funny...what would you do if this child mentioned before was YOURS

I would be mortified. But this would never happen with my daughter because my wife and I would never allow her to behave that way. If she did anything like that, we'd be out of there in a flash and we'd be profusely apologizing to those affected as we left. Sorry, but there is no excuse for behavior like that. Yes, children will be children, but its our job as parents to control them or remove them from the situation if their behavior is inappropriate or disruptive to others.

While I know these boards are about cruising- I have another restaraunt story- while working at a restarunt on the bay- I would constanlty see shildren climbing over the guards and jumping all around other people as they ate- not only was this annoying it was dangerous- Parents seem to forget that even though they are on Vacation- parenting is a full time job- that does not have breaks.:mad:

Archived