Parents, Please control your kids!!!!!

cruisin again

i'm not trying to defend the parents, all I am saying is that different parents have different visions on parenting...although parenting is thought of as a 24/7 job for 18 years, parents need a break too...some people can't afford a sitter for 7 days or even 1 day...BOOM BOOM!

by the way, where is the phrase shut up and dive from????

i'm not trying to defend the parents, all I am saying is that different parents have different visions on parenting...although parenting is thought of as a 24/7 job for 18 years, parents need a break too...some people can't afford a sitter for 7 days or even 1 day...BOOM BOOM!

by the way, where is the phrase shut up and dive from????

Oh, I understand that different people have different ideas about what is acceptable behavior, and what's not.

However, when a kid is screaming, running around and otherwise disrupting other people, then it's a problem. As for money, well, when my kids were little, often we ended up at the park, or McDonald's. That's the way it is.

When my kids were little, I was in a babysitting coop which was nice, but there were many times we just didn't go out. It's sometimes hard to control a 2-3 year-old, but many times the kids are old enough to know what's acceptable behavior and what's not. The real problem is the parents. We live in a "Me-Me" world. Courteous people are about as rare as a parking spot close to the main door at a mall. And I know sometimes kids are just a handful and things go south fast...I have no idea what's gone on in the family up until that point. I do know that if some kid is screaming in my ears, and climbing on me (while I am dining), I wouldn't hesitate a second to move.

I have no idea about that phrase....haven't heard it before. :)

We're frequently tempted to scold other people's children and it's very hard to bite your tongue sometimes! Once in a while the situation warrants it, though (especially where safety is concerned). But sometimes I worry that perhaps the child has a disability that isn't visible. I have a friend whose son has Down's syndrome (but it's very hard to tell) and another friend whose son is autistic (and it's impossible to tell) and they get nasty looks and mean comments all the time. Another friend does foster care and deals with a huge range of behavioral issues in the children she cares for. Her own children are impeccably behaved but I'm sure people think she's a terrible mother when she is out with all the children.

Sometimes the old adage "When you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!" is worth respecting. We don't always know everyone's circumstances.

Sometimes the old adage "When you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!" is worth respecting. We don't always know everyone's circumstances.

I understand what you are saying, but when I pay for a meal (and I am not at a kiddie restaurant), I expect to be able to eat it without having a misbehaving child ruin it. We rarely say anything (for starters, it wouldn't do any good), instead, we just move.

Yes, some children have things going on that we know nothing about, however, as in my experiences, I don't think that should exempt the parents from having their kids sit down (and not run in circles in the restaurant).

When my kids were younger, I was involved with everything they did, from sports to Scouts, and pretty much the kids that were raising $#%% from the get-go, are the kids that flunked out of college, and the ones that can't land a job. Too bad the mom and dad didn't have a crystal ball...but they are still as clueless as they were when the kids were young (and still making excuses for why Jimmy/Janey is having problems).

Kids will be kids...and they do act up. It's the way it is. But it's my job as mom to let them know what is acceptable in society...and what's not, and what the consequences will be should they continue to act out. I don't make excuses for my kids...if they misbehaved, we dealt with it.

They should have a cruise line that makes you sign a paper stating that your child behaves 90% of the time. If your child is caught misbehaving or causing a problem you are fined. I bet that would cut this cr*p out. I have a 1 and 3 year old and would sign it in a heart beat. That would be the best idea for a cruise line ever. People would flock to it. I would. Child friendly, with a good chance that the kids would all be well behaved. What do you all think. Take Care!!

Well if it makes you feel better Im reading this post....Im taking my 10 and 13 yr olds for the first time and we just had the cruise etiquette talk. I made it clear to them that I had better not see or hear of any running in the halls, playing on the elevators, disturbing others at the pool area etc. They were also informed that they will not be running around willy nilly with no supervision! Wish me luck.

I agree that we really need to control our children! I am a stay at home mommy of a 2 year old on break from teaching Kindergarten. The children who are allowed to have a mind of their own at all times really have a hard time adjusting to school where you are encourage to be creative, but not unruly. Every time I discipline my child I hate it, but it is necessary. I don't want him to be "the child" at school. He is very strong willed, but even at 2 he knows his limits! I am known to be an indulgent mommy, but not at the expensive of his integrity. It is important to me what kind of a man he becomes.

Sign us up for the cruise with the child behavior agreement. Can I get a copy of that agreement for my class' parents, too?

:( Hello, I am a mother of 3 kids (13,10,6) the two oldest are boys and the girl is 6) I am multicultural (Spanish-from Puerto Rico & Portuguese-From Brazil and Portugal) Their father is also from P.R. I say this because my kids have traveled more than most adults 3 times there ages and have never brought me any shame in their behavior. Your kids are a reflection of who you are as a parent and what you allow them to get away with. I understand that some culture may tolerate kids more than others, but make no mistake they are who you teach them to be. I know my kids to be very well behaved and would not put them in a situation where kids can not be kids (ie: take them to formal night on a cruise if they are not ready for that, or fancy restaurant). I swear that I've lived a McDonald's, but I cook alot so it's not to bad. I am taking them Saturday 4/23/05 on a cruise and they will be in the formal dinning room, very well dressed and behaved. I was a bit insulted by the fact that Latin people were being mislabeled. Just like you shouldn't say one culture always or never does something, it's not nice to make it a race thing. This is of course IMHO...:(

I by no means was making this a race issue, but, pointing out that there are many different mindsets and cultures on a ship, and understanding some of those cultures help you understand behaviors of both parents and child. other cultures have different standards. and one might not think that while on a ship in the carribbean it would be adopting western standards and cultures.

Just as by skin color alone I would not assume someone of caucasion look to be of U.S. culture.

To all of the parents who are teaching their kids common courtesy and decent manners, kudos!

I have 2 kids, ages 3 and 14. Neither of them would even think of acting up when we're out in public, whether it be a restaurant, shopping, museum, etc. It seems that a lot of people have either forgotten or don't give a poop about good manners and as a result, they haven't taught their own children.

I mean, how hard is it to teach your kids to say please and thank you? Or to stay seated when you're in a restaurant? It really amazes me sometimes.

We went on our first cruise last December with the kids, and I have to say that they were really good! As a matter of fact, my son said something about the kids at the next table during dinner. They had the worst table manners he had ever seen! That, and the parents didn't say a word about it! It's sad when a 14 year old notices things like that and so many adults are somewhere in la-la land.

In this day and age where people are so interested in being their childrens' friends, they have forgotten that they *need* to be their parents. Kids need guidance and to be led by example. They need to learn how to treat others, and know which situations call for extra special behavior (fancy places, weddings, etc.), to respect others, to have a sense of responsibility...

I've noticed that as the years go by, it seems that kids have a lot more of a sense of entitlement. Not good. It makes me wonder what things will be like in another 20 years :eek:

We went to Olive Garden with them on Saturday and the waitress was shocked at their behavior. They all sat and colored on their kids menus. Ate salad and breadsticks when it arrived, ate their meals, said please and thank you all the time, etc.

That is really a sad thing, that the waitress was shocked about their GOOD behavior. It should be the norm, not the exception.

I do not have children yet, but I have had step children, and they knew how to behave themselves. My own kids will learn from and early age what manners are. Even when I take my niece out to eat, to the mall, or other public places, she knows that Aunt Aims expects nothing less than her mother would. To be well-mannered, and respectful.

I commend the parents who would not take their kids into the dining rooms or other public places beacuse they know they would be restless or couldn't handle it. I know it is an inconvenience for you, but would be a bigger one to the other patrons.

And yes, I would say something to a child or their parent's if they became loud and obnoxious while I was trying to enjoy myself.

Maybe we could take the money from the kids instead of the parents. Set a fine for each "poor judgement" moment and then fine accordingly. It's their behavior, maybe it should cost them. for example "if you act up during dinner you will loss $5.oo from your sign and sail account" for older ones and "you lose use of the pool and slide" for younger ones. I believe that any child being reasonably supervised should be okay.

Maybe they could where t-shirts that say "i belong to -&- in cabin---- if I misbehave please let them know. If you see me do good hopefully you'll tell them that too".

Whatch think?:rolleyes:

Maybe they could where t-shirts that say "i belong to -&- in cabin---- if I misbehave please let them know. If you see me do good hopefully you'll tell them that too".

Whatch think?:rolleyes:

:eek: Bad idea, VERY bad idea. Mind you, the thought is good, but the last thing that I want to be advertising is my cabin number. If you check back on my past posts, you will notice that I don't even specify my cabin number on this board prior to my cruise. Too many wackos about.

The two cruises that I've been on had very few kids on board, so they were an annoyance only in the hot tub. Other than that, I barely saw 'em.

And, if some kids were acting up in the dining room, I would ask the the Matre'd to handle the situation. Isn't that what they're paid for?

Hi,

I just love this board. Not only is there not one person on this board who saves chairs. Now I know this board is full of great parents who make there kids behave all the time.

I sure wish I could only cruise with Cruise critic folks because my cruise would be perfect. First I would always have a chair by the pool and all the children would be enjoyable to be around.

Like I said I love this board!!!!!(lol)

Carla

Hi,

I just love this board. Not only is there not one person on this board who saves chairs. Now I know this board is full of great parents who make there kids behave all the time.

I sure wish I could only cruise with Cruise critic folks because my cruise would be perfect. First I would always have a chair by the pool and all the children would be enjoyable to be around.

Like I said I love this board!!!!!(lol)

Carla

LOL! I agree...and to think, we're on page 3 and no one has tossed in the 'drunks are worse than kids' line!!

There must be a full moon tonight and all the wackos are out howling instead. ;)

How true, we need a cruise critic's cruise. wouldn't the cruise staff just love that. As for "the drunks line" the reason they're as bad as kids is that they think the kids are acting okay because they're acting just as bad. Maybe they should get shirts too lol.

hi-there are a couple of things wrong with various statements stated above...

when people complain about kids being misbehaving on a cruise, it isn't your responsibility...the parents are responsible for the child...my next door neighboor can't control his child at all, and believe me he tries...all of what you guys are saying is like making up rules for a perfect world, which this is not so go make some rules eslewhere....

as for kids misbehaing on a cruise, what do you do if kids misbehave in a mall or a restaurant or any public place? Do you set up a forum saying "OMG THERE WAS THIS KID WHO DID SUCH AND SUCH"...

no...for people who think this world is me me me...well I think that everyone here is being me me me since people are saying how THEY aren't comfortable...this board is only about 2% of the cruisers. If EVERYSINGLE PERSON ON THESE Boards agreed with your statements, then only 2% of the cruising world would agree....and then I WOULD be me me me if everyone agreed with me

Archived