Carnival Victory 3-25-12 things to do offshore

Flyboy320

We like water activities and sight seeing. Don't want to book excursions thru ship because they are pricey and overcrowded in our experience 5 months ago on celebrity. We have our own snorkeling gear. please let us know if you have any suggestions.

We like water activities and sight seeing. Don't want to book excursions thru ship because they are pricey and overcrowded in our experience 5 months ago on celebrity. We have our own snorkeling gear. please let us know if you have any suggestions.

We are booked for March 11th on Victory, we feel same way about ship excursions- overprided and often crowded.

I have booked the Fury Snorkel excursion in St.Thomas- I believe it is the only one that leaves from the marina in Havensight- so no taxi just a short walk around the corner from ship. It has great reviews, limit to 12 people and sail and snorkel to a National protected area--I think Buck island, an area known for sea turtles. I have only snorkeled once so looking forward to professional help. If interested I'd check to see if they are not booked up.

In Barbados Calabaza and Silvermoon have very good reviews.

I will be posting a lengthy review again upon return. Let me know if you have any particular questions.

We are booked for March 11th on Victory, we feel same way about ship excursions- overprided and often crowded.

I have booked the Fury Snorkel excursion in St.Thomas- I believe it is the only one that leaves from the marina in Havensight- so no taxi just a short walk around the corner from ship. It has great reviews, limit to 12 people and sail and snorkel to a National protected area--I think Buck island, an area known for sea turtles. I have only snorkeled once so looking forward to professional help. If interested I'd check to see if they are not booked up.

In Barbados Calabaza and Silvermoon have very good reviews.

I will be posting a lengthy review again upon return. Let me know if you have any particular questions.

You will have a great time on the Fury! Went 2 years ago and LOVED it - got sunburned though...my MT skin hadn't seen the sun in months :) Beautiful boat, great crew and lots of turtles and fish - enjoy!

You will have a great time on the Fury! Went 2 years ago and LOVED it - got sunburned though...my MT skin hadn't seen the sun in months :) Beautiful boat, great crew and lots of turtles and fish - enjoy!
uh oh--I better lather up on sunscreen that is our first Caribbean day!

Do you think it is worth purchasing a waterproof digital camera.. I have birthday money, but not sure if a few in water photos would be worth expense. We've used "fuji film ones" and eh,so so on results. Otherwise will bring a point n' shoot for regular non water photos, keep Nikon SLR in cabin for rest of cruise.

In my opinion, underwater digital cameras are well worth it, especially if you snorkel. If you plan on doing any sort of snorkeling excursions in Barbados, chances are you'll see turtles up close and personal.

The beauty of a digital camera is that you can shoot video also. Plus you have the added bonus of taking 50 photos, just to get that one perfect shot.

There are a lot of relatively inexpensive waterproof cameras out there, just check out Google and see what fits your need and budget.

I got a Pentax Optio W80 about 2 years ago using Airmiles and it was well worth it. Last year I got an Olympus Stylus Tough for my dad, also with Airmiles.

Here are some pics from Barbados - all the underwater shots were taken using my Pentax.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.472934985680.246435.567405680&type=3&l=7a121683da

Cheers, P:)

In my opinion, underwater digital cameras are well worth it, especially if you snorkel. If you plan on doing any sort of snorkeling excursions in Barbados, chances are you'll see turtles up close and personal.

The beauty of a digital camera is that you can shoot video also. Plus you have the added bonus of taking 50 photos, just to get that one perfect shot.

There are a lot of relatively inexpensive waterproof cameras out there, just check out Google and see what fits your need and budget.

I got a Pentax Optio W80 about 2 years ago using Airmiles and it was well worth it. Last year I got an Olympus Stylus Tough for my dad, also with Airmiles.

Here are some pics from Barbados - all the underwater shots were taken using my Pentax.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.472934985680.246435.567405680&type=3&l=7a121683da

Thanks for quick reply, now an Amazon camera order may happen today.

I loved photos the turtles convinced me of a camera. We happen to be going to Harrison's Cave also. I will be bringing my xmas gift Nikon D5500 -how did you get such great photos in cave? any secrets- long lens, flash? Just figured ask for someone who got good results.

Nearly all of my cave photos were taken using an old Panasonic Lumix TZ-1. I left it on Auto mode and just made sure the flash was on. What you see there are my best cave photos - some of the others I took didn't turn out as well, especially when I was too far away for the flash to illuminate properly.

A select few of the shots I took, I turned the flash off and switched the camera to a longer exposure, making sure I had a steady surface to rest against.

With your Nikon, I'll guarantee you'll get better shots than mine...

Definitely get an underwater camera!!!! I have the Fujifilm FinePix XP20. It's been underwater all over the world for long lengths of time and is still going! I will tell you that it's not the best one out there, but for around $125 it was well worth it. If you want to see some pictures taken with it just let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

Literally and figuratively speaking - We are on the same cruise and looking for the same type of activities. We have our own gear and are currently looking at some options. Since I prefer the water, and wife prefers being on the beach, we are looking for cool beaches with some snorkeling options close by.

Here is what I have so far:

St Thomas - take a taxi to Lindequist Beach to relax on the beach and snorkel the nearby reef all day.

Barbados - 1/2 day dive/snorkel with the turtles and 1/2 day at crane beach...with more turtles.

I'm still looking at options for the other islands; if you have any suggestions please share them.

-mike

For St. Kitts, I'd recommend a tour with Thenford Grey. For St. Maarten, I'd recommend Bernard Tours. Check out some of the threads in the St. Kitts and St. Martin sections, and see if this is something you might enjoy.

Literally and figuratively speaking - We are on the same cruise and looking for the same type of activities. We have our own gear and are currently looking at some options. Since I prefer the water, and wife prefers being on the beach, we are looking for cool beaches with some snorkeling options close by.

Here is what I have so far:

St Thomas - take a taxi to Lindequist Beach to relax on the beach and snorkel the nearby reef all day.

Barbados - 1/2 day dive/snorkel with the turtles and 1/2 day at crane beach...with more turtles.

I'm still looking at options for the other islands; if you have any suggestions please share them.

-mike

Only thing we have planned is furry charters in St. Thomas. www.usvisailing.com. 1/2 snorkel with turtles. He received good reviews from trip advisor and other members on cruise critic. We are thinking maybe just take cabs to local beaches and snorkel and relax.

We are going on this same cruise on 4/30/12. Does anyone have suggestions for excursions on St Kitts, St Maarten or Barbados?

This is what we are planning right now but we still have 8 months before we cruise:

St. Thomas - cruise ship snorkel excursion to St. John, Trunk Bay

Barbados - Catamaran cruise to snorkel with the turtles and shipwreck, with Calabaza Sailing

St. Lucia - cruise ship snorkel excursion to the Pitons

St. Kitts - morning island tour with Rosevelt Taylor then dropped off at Shipwreck Beach Bar for beach time and snorkeling

St. Maarten - island tour or taxi to Marigot for brunch, then Maho Beach to watch the planes land

We are thinking maybe just take cabs to local beaches and snorkel and relax.

This is exactly what we are doing in St Thomas (Lindquiest Beach), St. Kitts (Cockleshell Beach) and St. Maarten (Mullet Beach). We have snorkel excursions booked for Barbados and St. Lucia.

We booked Cosol Tours in St Lucia. It sounds amazing and all the reviews were great! He even picks you up right at the pier. I just googled Cosol Tours, St Lucia.

St Thomas, we are taking the snorkeling trip to St John.

St Maarten - its really cheap to take a taxi to Marigot for shopping (and parfume making at Tijon) and then to orient beach for snorkeling and relaxing.

We are having trouble deciding what to do in Barbados though. Anyone have any suggestions?

We booked Cosol Tours in St Lucia. It sounds amazing and all the reviews were great! He even picks you up right at the pier. I just googled Cosol Tours, St Lucia.

St Maarten - its really cheap to take a taxi to Marigot for shopping (and parfume making at Tijon) and then to orient beach for snorkeling and relaxing.

We are having trouble deciding what to do in Barbados though. Anyone have any suggestions?

We just returned sun from cruise & barbados my opinion: we just returned from cruise and my opinion (this was our second trip there)

we did a private tour for our family of four with Glory tours (two adults late 40's and a college girl & guy.) We indicated wanting to see Harrison Cave, Bathsheba and maybe a nice pictureque church. Then let driver show us local sites. He really wanted to make us happy.

(Last cruise walked to Pelican mall- which is 10-15 min ship to shop- .45 mile), then a taxi to downtown and did self tour of local historic sights and shopping then taxi back.

This time- the island tour was really nice, but it was the small things that we liked- tasting a fresh cut coconut its water and jelly, walking into a small little bakery and the big points of Little Bay shore on northeat, Bathsheba and curch in St, James Parish -it has a couple amazing stainglass a baptismal font, old mahogany woodwork and a bell older than liberty bell for photos.

It felt like we basically drove through every parish and road on island- nice but gets repetitive. Glad I took my Bonine-lots twists ,turns and steep inclines.

The Harrison cave was "okay" nicer for those wanting a feel of a cave, but having seen one in Inidana which is much more interactive and a walking tour which lends to photos felt the cave on a cruise IMO worth skipping. Same with Chatel Village in Holetown-very pictureque quaint gingerbread houses that are shops but prices not quaint!

$389 for a swimsuit yikes. Our private tour- 8hrs was $80 a person, blus $27 each cave admission.

My ideal trip: (having been to Barbados before) book the Agapey chocolate tour ($15) which is a walkable 10 min from pier (pre-book it)- its 60-90min in length with tasting! then a taxi downtown for historic photos and shopping ($3-4pp), and on way back drop me off at favorite shop (one of few open in Pelican Village) Rosalyns. It has nice classy,variety and sure to find something there, plus just a 10 min walk along shore back to ship.Maybe a beach then if time allows (Accra-"Rockley-further away with a boardwalk but not as logical, but the closeby Brandons 10 min from ship- by Mount Gay Rum tour, or enjoy a queit time on ship.

If it were first time in Barbados:

Maybe Agapey chocolate (check out their website) and catch a taxi and perhaps a tour for photos of Little Bay-this isn't for swimming-it is a photo op of blow holes and shoreline, same with Bathsheba (volcanic type rock) and both sights are close enough to see both. From there, maybe a taxi tour through downtown pointing out historic sights or stop here for shopping-downtown offers Cave Shepard a traditional multi story department store, local sovenier stores,jewelry,and a 3-5 min walk across to marina shore area for few more shops and catch a taxi back from guys playing dominos. St.James church is nice, but further away and towards Holetown-unlkess can convince taxi make a loop.

I'd skip-Holetown Chatel Village shopping, Harrison's Cave,stopping at Crane's beach /hotel (where golfer Tiger got married),a full loop of all parishes and honestly if I had to choose, preferred Little Bay more than Bathsheba.

Bathsheba is also known for snorkeling and catamaran tours which is a totally different direction to go: - have heard great reviews about Calabazza and Shasta if desire to be on water and see turtles. We "did turtles" in St.Thomas so skipped option in Barbados.

If you want a party beach-the crew goes to also and close by is "the boatyard offering beach,bar and beach toys.

Ask any questions, I plan on a full length cruise review- I am working from laptop as main computer "died" and I use that for photos etc.

We just returned sun from cruise & barbados my opinion: we just returned from cruise and my opinion (this was our second trip there)

we did a private tour for our family of four with Glory tours (two adults late 40's and a college girl & guy.) We indicated wanting to see Harrison Cave, Bathsheba and maybe a nice pictureque church.

(Last cruise walked to Pelican mall- which is 10-15 min ship to shop- .45 mile), then a taxi to downtown and did self tour of local historic sights and shopping then taxi back.

This time- the island tour was really nice, but it was the small things that we liked- tasting a fresh cut coconut its water and jelly, walking into a small little bakery and the big points of Little Bay shore on northeat, Bathsheba and curch in St, James Parish -it has a couple amazing stainglass a baptismal font, old mahogany woodwork and a bell older than liberty bell for photos.

It felt like we basically drove through every parish and road on island- nice but gets repetitive. Glad I took my Bonine-lots twists ,turns and steep inclines.

The Harrison cave was "okay" nicer for those wanting a feel of a cave, but having seen one in Inidana which is much more interactive and a walking tour which lends to photos felt the cave on a cruise IMO worth skipping. Same with Chatel Village in Holetown-very pictureque quaint gingerbread houses that are shops but prices not quaint!

$389 for a swimsuit yikes. Our private tour- 8hrs was $80 a person, blus $27 each cave admission.

My ideal trip: (having been to Barbados before) book the Agapey chocolate tour ($15) which is a walkable 10 min from pier (pre-book it)- its 60-90min in length with tasting! then a taxi downtown for historic photos and shopping ($3-4pp), and on way back drop me off at favorite shop (one of few open in Pelican Village) Rosalyns. It has nice classy,variety and sure to find something there, plus just a 10 min walk along shore back to ship.Maybe a beach then if time allows (Accra-"Rockley-further away with a boardwalk but not as logical, but the closeby Brandons 10 min from ship- by Mount Gay Rum tour, or enjoy a queit time on ship.

If it were first time in Barbados:

Maybe Agapey chocolate (check out their website) and catch a taxi and perhaps a tour for photos of Little Bay-this isn't for swimming-it is a photo op of blow holes and shoreline, same with Bathsheba (volcanic type rock) and both sights are close enough to see both. From there, maybe a taxi tour through downtown pointing out historic sights or stop here for shopping-downtown offers Cave Shepard a traditional multi story department store, local sovenier stores,jewelry,and a 3-5 min walk across to marina shore area for few more shops and catch a taxi back from guys playing dominos. St.James church is nice, but further away and towards Holetown-unlkess can convince taxi make a loop.

I'd skip-Holetown Chatel Village shopping, Harrison's Cave,stopping at Crane's beach /hotel (where golfer Tiger got married),a full loop of all parishes and honestly if I had to choose, preferred Little Bay more than Bathsheba.

Bathsheba is also known for snorkeling and catamaran tours which is a totally different direction to go: - have heard great reviews about Calabazza and Shasta if desire to be on water and see turtles. We "did turtles" in St.Thomas so skipped option in Barbados.

If you want a party beach-the crew goes to also and close by is "the boatyard offering beach,bar and beach toys.

Ask any questions, I plan on a full length cruise review- I am working from laptop as main computer "died" and I use that for photos etc.

p.s. make sure in St.Lucia Cosol is set to meet you whereever ship docks. To our surprise we docked in Castires across water from "normal pier" and found location less desireable. No cute collection of shops,no nice hillside view. Rather downtown buildings,traffic noise,strawmarket etc. Wish we had taken the water taxi across for end of day shopping or been dropped off there.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

We have booked a private tour with Glory Tours for our cruise in April. Was it easy to find your driver at the port?

Thanks,

Mary

Mary (and others) it was simple to find the location for the driver--some info on our experience:

Head off ship, walk through building to outside, you will pass bar on left and keep going following left side for pedestrians, passing past security gate. You will see a very large tree in middle of traffic circle in front of you. We arrived as paper stated for us (8:45 was time we chose) and many people gathered (a little chaotic) -did notice some light blue polo shirts with Glory on them. I asked for Sarah, knowing she was owner and supposed to be our private driver. Honestly taken back when we were told to wait on sidewalk facing circle as our driver was arriving (huh?) Then watched larger Glory tours get into vans and head out. Then our driver arrives assuring us he would gives a great day. (It was a close friend of one of the drivers Sarah employess, and use him when really busy.

He turned out to have a nice large van for us four only and we were in charge of choosing destinations.

So yes, I would use Glory Tours again, but eliminate some of the stops as I found quality of time spent at each vs quantity of things visited (seen)would be better. I hope to get some photos posted soon.

Mary (and others) it was simple to find the location for the driver--some info on our experience:

Head off ship, walk through building to outside, you will pass bar on left and keep going following left side for pedestrians, passing past security gate. You will see a very large tree in middle of traffic circle in front of you. We arrived as paper stated for us (8:45 was time we chose) and many people gathered (a little chaotic) -did notice some light blue polo shirts with Glory on them. I asked for Sarah, knowing she was owner and supposed to be our private driver. Honestly taken back when we were told to wait on sidewalk facing circle as our driver was arriving (huh?) Then watched larger Glory tours get into vans and head out. Then our driver arrives assuring us he would gives a great day. (It was a close friend of one of the drivers Sarah employess, and use him when really busy.

He turned out to have a nice large van for us four only and we were in charge of choosing destinations.

So yes, I would use Glory Tours again, but eliminate some of the stops as I found quality of time spent at each vs quantity of things visited (seen)would be better. I hope to get some photos posted soon.

Hi,

Thanks for the details re: where to meet Glory Tours and your advice re: quality of time vs. quantity of things visited. We have booked a private half day tour with stops at Hunte's Gardens and St. Nicholas Abbey, which are our main focus of the tour. We're hoping to drive by Bathsheba on the way to St. Nicholas Abbey after our stop at Hunte's Gardens. For the return trip from the Abbey to the cruise terminal, we're hoping to drive along part of the Gold/Platinum west coast (maybe south of Holetown) without any stops for shopping. We'll be flexible if we have to adjust our plans that day regarding Bathsheba. Would appreciate your feedback about Bathsheba and Holetown. If we need to eliminate something, did you prefer the scenic drive near Bathsheba or along the west coast more?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to several of my posts.

Mary

Hi,

Thanks for the details re: where to meet Glory Tours and your advice re: quality of time vs. quantity of things visited. We have booked a private half day tour with stops at Hunte's Gardens and St. Nicholas Abbey, which are our main focus of the tour. We're hoping to drive by Bathsheba on the way to St. Nicholas Abbey after our stop at Hunte's Gardens. For the return trip from the Abbey to the cruise terminal, we're hoping to drive along part of the Gold/Platinum west coast (maybe south of Holetown) without any stops for shopping. We'll be flexible if we have to adjust our plans that day regarding Bathsheba. Would appreciate your feedback about Bathsheba and Holetown. If we need to eliminate something, did you prefer the scenic drive near Bathsheba or along the west coast more?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to several of my posts.

Mary

After looking at the map and where you will be, I'd suggest the west coast (my DH said so also). We started our tour up the west coast, and the towns were so varied in feel, beautiful views of beaches (when you could see them),saw Oprah's house (well just a distant view of her tennis courts),little small towns with school kids etc. more of a local flavor definitely. If he can squeeze in the time I still liked the unique caribbeanishness (nice made up word huh?) and sense of history of St.James Parish Church--maybe a 10 min stop for photos. Oh and near Nicholas Abby is Timothy Hill a lookout spot for photos again maybe 10 min and right by the Abby. I hope to post photos soon (my new computer just arrived -mine old one died the morning we got home from cruise but I had backed up my data and able to get it to go on a bit more to get last info off it thankfully, so will be loading cruise photos onto "NEW" computer and get a review posted.

Bathsheba is nice, but not as serene and more rugged. A lot more rural area too. So go for the west coast.

Keep asking questions I don't mind answering--helps remind me of my cruise.

After looking at the map and where you will be, I'd suggest the west coast (my DH said so also). We started our tour up the west coast, and the towns were so varied in feel, beautiful views of beaches (when you could see them),saw Oprah's house (well just a distant view of her tennis courts),little small towns with school kids etc. more of a local flavor definitely. If he can squeeze in the time I still liked the unique caribbeanishness (nice made up word huh?) and sense of history of St.James Parish Church--maybe a 10 min stop for photos. Oh and near Nicholas Abby is Timothy Hill a lookout spot for photos again maybe 10 min and right by the Abby. Bathsheba is nice, but not as serene and more rugged. A lot more rural area too. So go for the west coast.

Keep asking questions I don't mind answering--helps remind me of my cruise.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. We'll definitely make sure that we get to drive along the west coast and skip Bathsheba, if needed. We're really looking forward to touring Barbados.

:) Mary

Archived