Almost "LIVE" Jewel Feb 18; Late but Great! (the ship, not the review!)

Really enjoyed reading your review. Once again I enjoy your writing style. Your daugther's review was also fun. Just wonder if you keep a copy of all of your reviews for reminiscing in the future? It would be interesting to reflect back on these trips with your family as they grow.

Thanks for all the information. We will be doing a B2B Ta then on the Baltic in May. We have aft 1102. I have not had one before and found your pro's and con's interesting. PH

I think you will love it...I found myself thinking; this would be so perfect on a cruise with lots of scenery, like the one you are taking! Have a great cruise!

Really enjoyed reading your review. Once again I enjoy your writing style. Your daugther's review was also fun. Just wonder if you keep a copy of all of your reviews for reminiscing in the future? It would be interesting to reflect back on these trips with your family as they grow.

Thanks Happy, that's nice of you to say!!...I actually write the whole thing with the picture links onto a word doc, then I clip and paste each day (or each 6 photo page) into CC. Then I save all my reviews in a folder of reviews by year and itinerary. So yes, even if the mods dump it for being to old or too big one day, ( can they delete it for just being boring?:rolleyes:) I have it for my family forever (and backed up!)

I love reading detailed reviews which is why I like to write them! I just printed a 6 page doc of tips and also all the menus, from a helpful member on the PG boards, and I can't wait till lunch when I can dig into it.:D

Day 5!

NOOO! Its the last day of the cruise (in review). Today's a sea day so I stay in until I am literally dragged out of bed. (I had a cold).

In the morning we went to the Walk for Wishes. This is a wonderful cause. After the mile I headed out to take pictures of the ship. They will be coming soon when my DF and me can process them. For lunch I headed down to the Seaview Cafe one last time. ( and of course ice cream :D).

After lunch I head down to the pool. It is really crowded. 2 of the production show singers sing for about an hour and it was a nice respite from the calypso/ pop usually playing.

After the pool have to cross a few more things of my must do list. Mini golf is first. The course is pretty small and we only do a couple of holes before heading over to the rock climbing to get in line. (Add it to the Allure list).

Rock Climbing

Time to try the rock wall. They give you special grip shoes (this is of course technical lingo ;)). A few 80 year olds scramble up the wall while I am getting my equipment. I have new heroes. A couple of other kids attempt the wall and then its my turn. They have the chalk stuff (more lingo ;)) which helps with your grip. I manage up the wall without embarrassing myself and my family acts like it’s a miracle. (Am I really that pathetic looking? Then again I'm still not sure how I did that.)

Then its time for our very last dinner :(.

Last night :(

Dinner was nice. Then we walked around the ship before heading to the farewell show. The band played a standard with an amazing drum solo, then the entertainers came out. They were good and what they lacked in skill, they made up in humor. I wish I could have heard more of the band though. I play in a couple of jazz bands and love it! In one I am the only girl and in the other I am the only one without grey hair!

After the show DS, DM and I head to quest. As a first timer I was shocked. I won't spoil it but it was pretty funny. Then lots time to pack our last clothes up. Tomorrow we leave :(

Em:Hope to see you playing some mini golf aboard the Allure....we are putting together teams (from the group of us cruising together) to play against each other. Might need to call upon you if we need more players!!

Thanks for taking the time to write your great detailed review, I thouroughly enjoyed reading it. DH and myself will be on the JOS for the second time, in a little over 8 weeks. We have an aft cabin, directly above the one you had. :D Did you have a kettle in your cabin or, is one only provided in JS's and above?

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all the folks who have written reviews and information about Jewel. I am planning a trip in her in Dec and it is still a surprise for the kids (DH knows but he is no way a planner and does not get excited about all the research, info etc like I do) Since I have no one to share with and no one (yet) to be excited with I am living vicariously with you all . thank you for getting my psyched (way to psyched for my own good!) for our upcoming trip (which will be our first family vacation in over 2 years!) and for providing such wonderful information. :D

Thanks for taking the time to write your great detailed review, I thouroughly enjoyed reading it. DH and myself will be on the JOS for the second time, in a little over 8 weeks. We have an aft cabin, directly above the one you had. :D Did you have a kettle in your cabin or, is one only provided in JS's and above?

No kettle, but my DM put in a standing order for coffee and OJ every morning at the same time. It worked really well for her! There is also a beverage station 24 hours at the WJ. You will LOVE that cabin! Have fun!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all the folks who have written reviews and information about Jewel. I am planning a trip in her in Dec and it is still a surprise for the kids (DH knows but he is no way a planner and does not get excited about all the research, info etc like I do) Since I have no one to share with and no one (yet) to be excited with I am living vicariously with you all . thank you for getting my psyched (way to psyched for my own good!) for our upcoming trip (which will be our first family vacation in over 2 years!) and for providing such wonderful information. :D

Thanks! What a wonderful surprise...shhh! I feel your pain, as a planner, my DH gets a little board with it:rolleyes: Luckily I have CruiseEm now and she will obsess about anything with me!;) Have a great time!

Thanks for the link from your Oasis cruise.

Loved this review too!

We haven't been on the Jewel since 2004- we were on the repo sailing that left from Boston to Tampa the morning after the Sox won the world series so that was quite a party ship.

We were in an RFS on the aft (our first time) on that sailing, and we've been hooked on aft balconies since then, too, for many of the reasons you've listed.

Glad you had a great trip with your girls and Mom (and good for her for snorkeling!).

Thanks for posting about the airline in worcester- we're in marlboro and I didn't realize any passenger airlines still used that airport, so we'll have to keep that in mind.

Congrats on your new diamond status. Take a look at celebrity sailings as it does transfer to elite with them. We did a lovely 7 night southern caribbean sailing on the summit thanksgiving week that got my DH reconsidering which line is his fav- he found the food and service better on X along with the perks for elite.

Now just to count down until next April for your girls....

Thanks again for the great write-up and awesome pictures- brought back many memories...

Thanks for the link from your Oasis cruise.

Loved this review too!

We haven't been on the Jewel since 2004- we were on the repo sailing that left from Boston to Tampa the morning after the Sox won the world series so that was quite a party ship.

We were in an RFS on the aft (our first time) on that sailing, and we've been hooked on aft balconies since then, too, for many of the reasons you've listed.

Glad you had a great trip with your girls and Mom (and good for her for snorkeling!).

Thanks for posting about the airline in worcester- we're in marlboro and I didn't realize any passenger airlines still used that airport, so we'll have to keep that in mind.

Congrats on your new diamond status. Take a look at celebrity sailings as it does transfer to elite with them. We did a lovely 7 night southern caribbean sailing on the summit thanksgiving week that got my DH reconsidering which line is his fav- he found the food and service better on X along with the perks for elite.

Now just to count down until next April for your girls....

Thanks again for the great write-up and awesome pictures- brought back many memories...

Thanks! What a small world, we have lots of family in Marlborough! Lots of relatives have been using that DirectAir service for a while, and we found it to be just fine!

I think Celebrity will be on our list now, I do enjoy that Balcony discount though, but we are ready to try some different ports. We've got a full plate for the next 18 months, with 3 trips and a graduation, so until after Allure, we aren't sailing RCL for a while! My next reviews will be of the Galapagos Explorer 2 on " other cruise lines" and on PG boards.

Enjoy your Oasis cruise!

I fell a little behind, but just got all caught up.

Great review from both of you!

I enjoyed it and it brought back some great memories :)

Thanks! She is a lovely ship and your review got Em and I all excited about the cruise and Cruise Critic! Now she is working on Alure, and boning up on her Spanish for the Ecaudor, but we have lots of time;)

Thanks! She is a lovely ship and your review got Em and I all excited about the cruise and Cruise Critic! Now she is working on Alure, and boning up on her Spanish for the Ecaudor, but we have lots of time;)

Glad I could help. Look forward to your next review.

I bet that trip to the Galapagos will be fantastic also.

Glad I could help. Look forward to your next review.

I bet that trip to the Galapagos will be fantastic also.

In the fall, you can find it linked in my signature...but I plan to review and I'm sure Em will help! I may have to wait and do both after I return from French Polynesia...somebody planned 2 trips with in 7 weeks:rolleyes:

I read this entire thread from beginning to end over the past 2 hours. Your reviews are witty, entertaining and informative! We made a last minute decision (well, very last minute for me) to take a Spring trip and sail on JOS next month. I'm now looking forward to it even more.

I read this entire thread from beginning to end over the past 2 hours. Your reviews are witty, entertaining and informative! We made a last minute decision (well, very last minute for me) to take a Spring trip and sail on JOS next month. I'm now looking forward to it even more.

A month would be last minute for me too!:eek: But I'll bet you got a great deal and I think you will love Jewel! Thanks for your kind words...I read reviews to get ideas and get excited too, so for me the longer the better, but maybe I go a tad overboard ( pun intended!):o

Have a great cruise !

In the fall, you can find it linked in my signature...but I plan to review and I'm sure Em will help! I may have to wait and do both after I return from French Polynesia...somebody planned 2 trips with in 7 weeks:rolleyes:

Cool :)

I'll watch out for it.

Two trips in 7 weeks. Tough, but I think you'll manage ;)

• 6 months later...
Great review! We are sailing on the four-nighter during Christmas/New Year's week and thoroughly enjoyed your detailed and very well written review!

Thanks! I think you will enjoy this ship! My only knock was too many private parties in off limits lounges, but more likely they will be having parties for all during the holidays! Have fun!

Thanks! I think you will enjoy this ship! My only knock was too many private parties in off limits lounges, but more likely they will be having parties for all during the holidays! Have fun!

Thanks! I do agree that it is annoying when several lounges/spaces are taken up with private events, but I imagine there are always plenty of places to have a pre-dinner drink or relax for a short while.

We also have an aft balcony for the first time and really appreciated your review and comments about it.

While the big ships with all of their bells and whistles definitely make for a very entertaining cruise, I am looking forward to the large glass windows and true feeling of being at sea that I've heard you get from Jewel. I know people who would rather feel like they are not even on a ship, but I truly enjoy looking out at the ocean every chance I get, so I think this is definitely the right ship!

Just found your review and read it from 'cover to cover" this morning! What a great review! You sound like a fun family to cruise with. We are booked on the Jewel (first time on her) for the 4 night, November 29th sailing.:) Just one port (Cozumel) but I love the sea days anyway. Friends called to let us know about the great fare for this cruise, so we booked immediately. This week we got an $80 pp reduction! We can hardly believe we are going to get to experience this beautiful ship for such a good price.

First time for Cozumel for DH and myself. Many of you have been there many times. Any suggestions for "must see places" since we have just the one day? Familygoboston, I wish I were as brave as your Mom, to try the snorlking. We are about her age and have never tried this. Would we be able to see much of the coral and colorful fish from the glass bottom boat tours? (Or are they just a rip-off?):confused: We enjoy walking around any new places we visit. How safe would it be to do this? I've heard of a national park there---worth the visit? Would love to hear any suggestions.

I loved all the pictures of the ship. I feel like I have already been on her!

Thanks for a great review!

B.

Thanks! I do agree that it is annoying when several lounges/spaces are taken up with private events, but I imagine there are always plenty of places to have a pre-dinner drink or relax for a short while.

We also have an aft balcony for the first time and really appreciated your review and comments about it.

so I think this is definitely the right ship!

I have to agree with you- I had read all the raves, but just come off Oasis and I loved Jewel for different reasons! You will love that aft Balcony with all the sea days...it's is so panoramic! I have the corner aft booked in Nov 2013- but do not know for sure yet if I can sail then...but I would live to return to Jewel.

Just found your review and read it from 'cover to cover" this morning! What a great review! You sound like a fun family to cruise with. We are booked on the Jewel (first time on her) for the 4 night, November 29th sailing.:) Just one port (Cozumel) but I love the sea days anyway. Friends called to let us know about the great fare for this cruise, so we booked immediately. This week we got an $80 pp reduction! We can hardly believe we are going to get to experience this beautiful ship for such a good price.

First time for Cozumel for DH and myself. Many of you have been there many times. Any suggestions for "must see places" since we have just the one day? Familygoboston, I wish I were as brave as your Mom, to try the snorlking. We are about her age and have never tried this. Would we be able to see much of the coral and colorful fish from the glass bottom boat tours? (Or are they just a rip-off?):confused: We enjoy walking around any new places we visit. How safe would it be to do this? I've heard of a national park there---worth the visit? Would love to hear any suggestions.

I loved all the pictures of the ship. I feel like I have already been on her!

Thanks for a great review!

B.

Thank you B! Yes, mom was a trooper, and that was such a rough day! You should see what we did to her next:eek: In my Galapagos review, we took her and dad to Ecuador, and we were so busy...she snorkeled again, went 3000 feet up a gondola ( even tho she's terrified of heights)hiked at 13 k feet, made wet landings off of a zodiak and we made her hike hither and yon over lava fields! She actually was just rehabbing from arthroscopic knee surgery only a few weeks when we went on Jewel, but after the spring and summer, she lost weight and really upped her workouts so she'd be ready! What a good sport...but she was exhausted!;)

You will love Jewel, and I think if you can only do one port Cozumel is great! No one I know has ever had any trouble in Cozumel, I think they know where their bread is buttered and its very tourist oriented during port days.

The snorkeling and diving is great, so a reef trip with a glass bottomed boat could be interesting.

The spot right around the port is enclosed and has some fun shopping, very aggressive vendors, but they are all " registered " and safe, and mostly crafts and silver jewelry- none of the really big jewelry stores. Bargain, expect to get as much as 1/2 less than offered prices.

There are some nicer shops and authentic Mexican places to eat if you take a cab into town. You have to wend your way through all the vendor stalls to get to the cab stand, but you can't get out any other way, so you can't get lost! The cab stand is a long line but moves quick, the guy will set you up with a cab to your destination and all the prices are clearly posted right at the entrance, so you will know what it will be PP. When returning, make sure you negotiate the same price to return. It's also good to have small bills ( US is fine) because they might not ( or say they dont) have change. We've never gone into town but those who do, say the shopping is not like St Thomas, but it is safe.

Some other things we have done:

Well you've seen Paradise Beach in this review- we liked that a lot, except for the service.

The Punta Sur Ecological park. If you go on your own there is a light house you can climb and a beach and places to walk with some Mayan ruins ( on a very small scale) but things are pretty spread out. If you go it would be best to book the tour, they offer those 4x4 little jeeps you can drive around yourself, or we did a bike tour.

Nachi Co Com. This is like Paradise, but more expensive and quiet- few if any children ( its about $50 pp I think) but all inclusive and limited numbers of people. If you plan to eat and drink a lot this could be a good deal. There arent as many " toys" to use as Paradise. You have to contact them ahead on the web to book, but you don't pay till you get there and you'll need cash ( USD). Mr Sanchos is similar and v. nearby, others enjoy that one.

One place we have not got to go that gets rave reviews is Chakanaab park. Where there are dolphins and sea lions as well as beach area and lovely gardens. This gets raves too, even if you don't swim with dolphins there is plenty to do with looking at the animals and sea lion show, gardens and beach. It's quite a bit more PP than Paradise, but offers a bit more than just beach! I think they also have clear plastic kayaks for rent if you think this is something you could manage, you could see fish through those quite well!

Check out Johneeo's review of Allure- he took a tour of the island with a driver, and customized his visit. It was not expensive to arrange and he gives the details of how to contact the tour driver company and make arrangements. Just search Johneeo and Allure- his review should pop up!

One thing about Cozumel- is its an easy place to do an excursion on your own or privately, the cabs are well organized and plentiful. And nothing is far or bogged down in worrisome traffic patterns like other ports ( though do leave yourself enough time and be clear about ship time vs island time, I leave my watch in ship time, so I know when I have two hours left, it's time to start heading back!)

One caveat: if you are thinking of going to the mainland ( for ruins or beach) do a ships excursion- that's a very long day and usually the ferry for those excursions is just rolling in as they are getting ready to pull the dock lines ( or later):eek:, so better safe than sorry for that!

Though DH and I were getting a bit bored of the W Caribbean itinerary, we never bore of Cozumel- it's always great ! Have a great cruise!

So much good info, Familygoboston!!! Thanks!! I think most of us are leaning toward the C. National Park. Seems like a lot to do there, and my DH and one of the other couples will particularly like the Botanic Gardens. I think the sea lion show sounds great and I love dolphins, soooo....lots to do!:)

I have read of a couple of good Mexican craft shops (Los Cinco Soles, Viva Mexico) and also an art gallery (Casa Chaak) that are supposed to be better than those right around the pier. Are you familiar with them? Close enough to walk, or a cab ride away? We are not big shoppers and don't want to waste our day just trying to find a place that may be hard to get to.

Thanks again for all the good info. I'm off to check out Johneeo's review!

B.

Yes! I was looking for a review from the Jewel as I just booked a cruise on her :) Thank you for this.

I also think you do a good job. There are a LOT worse going around ;)

Aww thanks!! I do a certain kind...lots of details, some people HATE that...but I LOVE reading reviews like that myself when I am preparing to travel, so yes, thtas what I d Enjoy Jewel, unless they've run her aground since Feb, I don't think you will be disappointed!

Do you remember what time you passed under the Sunshine Bridge on Day 1?

LOL! DId you see the late part?;) We didn't pass under the bridge till a tick after midnight!:eek: But thats the long tale of woe at the start of this review!

In general ( I researched this extensively, only to have all my plans blown away:o)the ship will pass under the bridge about 1 hour and 15 - 20 minutes after sail away. Usually sail away is right after muster. SO if muster is 4:30 (which is typical), sailaway at 5PM, you can expect to be at the bridge around 6- 6:30 PM.

So plan dinner accordingly! If you have early seating you will be eating when the bridge comes up if you depart on schedule. We actually ate at the WJ on the first night because of our late departure the MDR was open seating from the time we boarded, which wasnt till 6 pM and that seemed like it would be a mess! ) SO if you wan to see the bridge, plan a late dinner- select late seating, or a late MTD time, or eat at the WJ or specialty restaurant.

Its worth seeing, very cool! I have a (very bad) photo in this review because we were getting ready for bed when DD said- hey look out the window...and since we were in an aft cabin, we caught it after we went under.:D

So much good info, Familygoboston!!! Thanks!! I think most of us are leaning toward the C. National Park. Seems like a lot to do there, and my DH and one of the other couples will particularly like the Botanic Gardens. I think the sea lion show sounds great and I love dolphins, soooo....lots to do!:)

I have read of a couple of good Mexican craft shops (Los Cinco Soles, Viva Mexico) and also an art gallery (Casa Chaak) that are supposed to be better than those right around the pier. Are you familiar with them? Close enough to walk, or a cab ride away? We are not big shoppers and don't want to waste our day just trying to find a place that may be hard to get to.

Thanks again for all the good info. I'm off to check out Johneeo's review!

B.

I'm not familiar with those. But there is one fairly high quality craft market in the "secure" area right by the port, you will walk right by it. Thats where we got the pretty little elephant you see in the review. Prices are firmer there, but its much less like the vendors and not aggressive at all, you can shop for real quality crafts and other souvenirs to take home. I'm not sure the name but you need to pass right by it to get in and out, so its easy peasy!

I think your group will love Chakanaab- it's on my list and we keep meaning to go, but other things come up or get priority, but its where I plan to go next Cozumel trip! Everyone who does loves it, and you can go on your own and pay less and enjoy lots of the amenities. If you were thinking of booking dolphin swim- I might use the cruise line, just because if its a busy day in port they might not be able to accommodate you because of all the cruise excursions, but for just enjoying the property- going on your own is fine!

Archived