LAX Layover

mrgame101

Hello all you west coasters! Were returning from Honolulu on May 12th and are on a flight leaving HNL @ 12:56PM. Landing @ LAX at 9:30PM. Our connection is at 10:07PM to Tampa. The gentleman from Delta assured me that this was sufficient time in LA. Should I have a back up plan just incase? Delta changed our flight home to Tampa 5 times already and the 10:07 flight is our earliest option to arrive home. Anyone's insight would be help!

Thanks!

I would be VERY nervous about this one...sorry to add to your worries.

The HNL-LAX flight, DL2367 has an 82% on-time record. There's about 1 in 5 chance the flight will be delayed, and the average delay is 23 minutes. Since neither airport has seasonal weather problems the delay pattern seems to be operational and dispatching related. So the chance of delay is probably the same year-round and not seasonal.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightRating/flightRatingByFlight.do?id=255769668&airlineCode=DL&flightNumber=2364

Connect time is only 37 minutes. The inbound HNL flight is a 767, and it may take 20 minutes to get off the plane if you're towards the back.

Delta flights use T5 so at least you don't have to change terminals or get re-groped by TSA. It takes about 10 minutes to walk between the two farthest gates in T5 if you have no mobility problems. I don't fly Delta, but most airlines close the gate 5-10 minutes before departure.

There is little or no spare connect time when the flights are on time. (BTW, the LAX-TPA flight, DL933 has a pretty good ontime departure record). If your inbound flight is 15-20 minutes late you will probably miss the connection.

Yes, have a backup plan (always a good idea even if your connect time is 3 hours). Print out alternate flights...get in the Customer Service line and call Delta reservations while you wait. Often, you will get rebooked on the phone before you reach the head of the queue. Suggest your alternate flights to the agent, they will appreciate it and you will be more likely to get what you need.

Hope you aren't on consolidator or cruise tickets, because your options are few. Let us know how it goes...flawlessly I hope!!

I would be VERY nervous about this one...sorry to add to your worries.

The HNL-LAX flight, DL2367 has an 82% on-time record. There's about 1 in 5 chance the flight will be delayed, and the average delay is 23 minutes. Since neither airport has seasonal weather problems the delay pattern seems to be operational and dispatching related. So the chance of delay is probably the same year-round and not seasonal.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightRating/flightRatingByFlight.do?id=255769668&airlineCode=DL&flightNumber=2364

Connect time is only 37 minutes. The inbound HNL flight is a 767, and it may take 20 minutes to get off the plane if you're towards the back.

Delta flights use T5 so at least you don't have to change terminals or get re-groped by TSA. It takes about 10 minutes to walk between the two farthest gates in T5 if you have no mobility problems. I don't fly Delta, but most airlines close the gate 5-10 minutes before departure.

There is little or no spare connect time when the flights are on time. (BTW, the LAX-TPA flight, DL933 has a pretty good ontime departure record). If your inbound flight is 15-20 minutes late you will probably miss the connection.

Yes, have a backup plan (always a good idea even if your connect time is 3 hours). Print out alternate flights...get in the Customer Service line and call Delta reservations while you wait. Often, you will get rebooked on the phone before you reach the head of the queue. Suggest your alternate flights to the agent, they will appreciate it and you will be more likely to get what you need.

Hope you aren't on consolidator or cruise tickets, because your options are few. Let us know how it goes...flawlessly I hope!!

Thank you for the detailed info!! Were rushing to get home for the ever so important airport pick up!! Were returning from the Pride of America and that morning when my inlawas pick us up we got to drive them to the Pier in Tampa. Delta has changed the flight 4 times now with various configurations first it was HNL to LAX to TPA, then they added ATL as a stopover etc.

Not a big deal if we miss the connection becuase for starters it will be Deltas issue but then we can probably just get on the 11 o'clock to Atlanta and then the flight that gets us home. If the inlaws cant pick us up I'll just get Super Shuttle. I just either want to fix it or relax and not stress out my entire vacation because I am one of those people that will!

Thanks again.

Archived