itinerary change due to weather?

socaldesign

We were looking at the weather in Key West/Bahamas for the Magic March 11 cruise. Right now it shows rain in all ports when we're there. Do Captains ever change their schedule to "follow the sun". I know weather is unpredictable and could change on a moments notice as well so when I check again next week it may show sunshine all week.

We were looking at the weather in Key West/Bahamas for the Magic March 11 cruise. Right now it shows rain in all ports when we're there. Do Captains ever change their schedule to "follow the sun". I know weather is unpredictable and could change on a moments notice as well so when I check again next week it may show sunshine all week.

Only change schedule for storms that have safety concerns.

Would not at all worry about weather so far in advance.

Hello. I would think no. Typically a cruise line (i.e. captain) is not going to modify a port until it becomes a safety issue, as determined by the captain, cruise line or port authority. I've even seen CCL change ports due to congestion??? That has occurred for the Glory Cruise we are taking on Mar 18 (Belize switched to Costa Maya).

Unfortunately, I must presume it's not due to the lack of sun.

Besides, in the Caribbean...if you don't like the weather, wait 10 or 15 mins and it'll probably change/improve!

Enjoy your cruise!

The way I understand it, it's not like a parking spot .... you can't just go find a better one. There are port fees and availability issues that go with it. Now, if there was an impending hurricane, that's different - there is time to prepare and move away and around it (most of the time), and either go to another port (based on availability) or you end up with a sea day.

As one of the other posters said, don't watch the weather - you will make yourself crazy. I know it's hard to do - I really understand. Just relax!

Weather events that threaten the safety of the vessel and soles on board will prompt diversions. Short of such weather extremes the ship will follow its published itinerary.

The the fickleness of weather and the relatively slow speed of the ships makes finding a sunny port that has spare docking facilities to accommodate a thousand feet of ship with two or three thousand passengers or more unlikely.

Ports where cruise ships call book their space far in advance. Consider the logistics needed to handle such large and crowded vessels. Dock space must be empty or tender facilities and a suitable anchorage available. Port employees from customs officials to line handlers need to be present to receive a ship. In an emergency these minimal personnel can be cobbled together but what will passengers do in the new stop?

Archived