Gluten Free Diet

We are traveling 4/29 on board the Star. Our 8 yr old daughter is on a Gluten Free Diet. I informed NCL and they are aware of it. Has anyone cruised with this type of dietary need? If so , what kind of foods were prepared for you? Was there anything on the buffet that is gluten free? Is the ice cream gluten free? ( She loves Ice cream) I know all fresh fruit will be but not sure on the food that is prepared. I did see a picture posted of a flour free cake that was made. That may be gluten free but not sure.

If anyone has any information regarding this, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

We do not have this issue but we did sit at breakfast in the Buffet with a lady who mentioned that she had requested the gluten free diet.

While we were seated the dining manager came over to ask her if she was doing ok and if she had any special requests for dinner. She said that she had to do a bit of pre-planning but that it was going well.

I would contact the special services area prior to boarding and then meet with the dining manager once you arrive to make sure they know your needs.

Good Luck!!

I was in the Sar in January with my DIL who enjoyed a wide variety of gluten free foods. As suggested get with the Restaurant Mgr the first day. He I'll provide all the help you will need. We stayed away from the buffet only because of the chance of cross contamination.

I had a very good experience eating GF on the Dawn in 2010. I wouldn't say it was fantastic; the maitre'd often promised me things the kitchen couldn't do GF, so my plate would arrive missing items. However, leaving not quite full was much better than being glutened, so I wasn't really bothered by it. I've since been told that I should have asked to talk to the Food & Beverage Manager once it became clear that the maitre'd was not adequately informed. If necessary, I'll do that on our next cruise.

Since you're headed to Bermuda, I thought I'd pass along these links. I've been researching where to get GF food in Bermuda on our next trip, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the variety of options!

http://www.glutenfreemike.com/tag/bermuda/

http://www.nothingtodoinbermuda.com/celiac-in-bermuda.html

Please do report back on how your cruise goes, because we'll be on the Star in May! :D

Thank you for all the input ! Sounds like she will find food that she will like. I really hope the ice cream is.... Most ice creams like hagindaz are. The only ones that aren't are the ones that contain cookie dough or brownies.

Is soft serve gluten free? That's most readily available. Ice cream is usually once a day.

Good luck!

Our 8 yr old daughter is on a Gluten Free Diet. I informed NCL and they are aware of it.

Did they send you the Guest Special Request form to fill out?

We just sent in a request for our April trip with our two grandchildren, who have GF needs.

Thank you for all the input ! Sounds like she will find food that she will like. I really hope the ice cream is.... Most ice creams like hagindaz are. The only ones that aren't are the ones that contain cookie dough or brownies.

Hi Kevin

I need to be GF for medical reasons and sailed on the Jade and the Jewel with this request. Both cruises were awesome, the dining room manager asked each night where I was dining and gave me the choices for the next evening.

I also had the most amazing Italian food including pizza in the specialty Italian resturants.

The buffet has many choices that are fresh vegetables and fruit, she should not have any problem finding food.

You should contact the access desk at NCL to let them know your childs limitations, they will work with you to make sure she has the best food available.

Lynda

My wife is gluten free and we have had no trouble at all eating.... I'm 75% gluten free - I still love a good cold Coors Light (at $28.00/per 6-pack while on board >.< ).

On the buffet there are hambugers, hotdogs (both without the bun), fruit, ice cream, deli meats, cheese etc. By far breakfast is the best meal at the buffet... made to order eggs, bacon - stuff like that.... I think my wife goes all in with the made to order eggs knowing that she can "fill up".

The flour less cake is just that... flour less which is gluten free - the wife loves it and looks forward to it.

In the main dinning room we usually just have steak - but watch if there is a sauce added to it... Lobster tails are also gluten free.

We also advise NCL of the issue that we have and they are always on top of it when we tell them about it when we sit down for a evening meal. Turst us that someone with gluten free needs will feel right at home and can make it work.

Great info.

We sail Presidents Week on the Star 2013. One person in our party is Gluten Free I was told to let my travel agent know and also get together with NCL once on board to be sure things will be set up

So that makes me feel more at ease

Thanks

My wife is gluten free and we have had no trouble at all eating.... I'm 75% gluten free - I still love a good cold Coors Light (at $28.00/per 6-pack while on board >.< ).

On the buffet there are hambugers, hotdogs (both without the bun), fruit, ice cream, deli meats, cheese etc. By far breakfast is the best meal at the buffet... made to order eggs, bacon - stuff like that.... I think my wife goes all in with the made to order eggs knowing that she can "fill up".

The flour less cake is just that... flour less which is gluten free - the wife loves it and looks forward to it.

In the main dinning room we usually just have steak - but watch if there is a sauce added to it... Lobster tails are also gluten free.

We also advise NCL of the issue that we have and they are always on top of it when we tell them about it when we sit down for a evening meal. Turst us that someone with gluten free needs will feel right at home and can make it work.

That all sounds great. We always do the buffet for breakfast so ordering fresh eggs sound great. I also talked to NCL today and they started giving me a list of items they have that are gluten free. I could not keep up with her reading them off but here are a few that I was able to write down:

waffles, assorted cookies, peanut butter, bagels, breads, hamburger rolls, hot dog rolls, assorted muffins, pasta with many different sauces, pizza, fajitas, different rices, tacos, low fat milk, ...she said the list was very long. I tried to get it emailed to me but she said she couldn't. But this eases my mind quite a bit. It is in my reservation that she is gluten free so we are all set.

;)

Archived