Just back from the Mariner, My thoughts

We sailed on Sunday Feb 26th. We stayed in Galveston, on Saturday at the Quality Inn on Seawall Blvd for our day prior. It was clean and if booked far enough out you get a really great rate. We paid $59 but one month out it was up to $120. I would stay there again.

On Sunday, we arrived at Terminal 2 at 11:00 dropped of luggage and parked. We typically begin boarding 11:30-12:00 but didn't begin that process until 12:50. As platinum we were "priority".

Once on board, we headed up to the Windjammer. Wonderful!

The Safety thingy formerly called muster drill went smoothly. You'll like this: At our muster station, you have give your information to a crew member. Evidently a couple did not bother to show. After repeatedly calling their name and state room number - a couple of crew members went up and brought them down. Oh yes they did!

Sail away was beautiful and right on time. Dinner was fantastic. We enjoyed the prime beef. The bon voyage show - one show for everyone was after both dinner times. No parade the first day. What a beautiful ship the Mariner is.

We were headed out to Honduras, Belize and Cozumel.

More to come...

Days one and two were at sea days. Very relaxing. Weather was quite a bit warmer on Monday (first at sea day). Shorts and t-shirts. At times the Windjammer was crowded but could always find a table and of course a window table was the grand prize. BTW Honey Stung Chicken on the sail away day was great. Onlt day it was available in the Windjammer though.

This must sound really silly, but the towles in our stateroom bathroom were very plush, large and soft. I looked at the tag and it read, made of 100% Egyptian Cotton. Made in Egypt.

We received a call from the staff at Chops, and was informed that my TA comped us a dinner. So, we had dinner at Chops on Thursday. It would have cost us $30 p/p

On day three (Honduras) we took the shore excursion beach day to Tabyana Beach. WOW!

Very spacious, with plenty of beach chairs and the food was included. Lot's of local's sellings beads and stuff but they were polite. My mom and dad got a massage on the beach. It started out being $30 per person, but my dad, being the master of what he does, got the price down to $30 for the both of them.

Back on the Mariner the bed we had was very comfortable and sheets and pillows were in great shape. Our stateroom attendant was very attentive and personable. Towel animals every othe night. Of course the days of chocolates on your pillow in the evening are still just a memory

more to come...

... At cozumel, we enjoyed the manatee encounter. This was not arrainged through the shore excursion. We did this on our own. I can recommend this to everyone, whether you go through the ship's excursion or on your own.

In the morning, docked at Cozumel, it was sunny and it lit up our stateroom, then suddenly it became darker, like clouds moved in. It was the Allure which had docked right next to us.

If I had found something I wish I could change, it would be, I wish they would place the self-service coffee and tea stattions outside the windjammer. I miss our walks after the show and to get a cup of coffee. I know it is available in the cafe prom. But I still miss it on deck 11.

jdo in texas

Great report, and for those that enjoy the Mariner of the Seas.......she will be headed to drydock shortly.

It will be a quick drydock.....so not so much will be done......but it's always great to see improvements, and that is what Royal Caribbean continues to do.

If only we could convince them to make the food a bit tastier........it's the only area that I know of where Princess has a strong hold........still consider RCCL to be a superior product!

Rick

Archived