Another Bedbug Incident Reported

Channel 7 news here in Boston (NBC) reported this morning on the 6 am newscast that another bed bug incident, but this time it was on Carnival Victory. The couple that was affected is from Easton, MA and they reported it occurred "last month", no specific dates were reported.

The couple experienced bites during their cruise but thought they were getting an insect (like a mosquito) bite. It wasn't until their last night that they were awoken after the wife felt something crawling on her. Jumped out of bed and turned on the lights to find 50-60 of the bugs on her and her husband.

They actually showed video of the bugs they had captured from the bed in a bag. Carnival is acknowledging the incident and offered the couple a discount for a future cruise, but the couple declined saying they never wanted to cruise again.

Channel 7 also included an interview with a Harvard professor who specializes in parasites. He indicated that bed bugs are brought on board a ship or hotel via luggage, clothing, bedding, etc. They are not a result of poor housekeeping on board.

It will be interesting to see how the cruise lines react to this new information and address the public. But, I am a little nervous considering we leave Sunday on Explorer. Definitely will be checking out the bedding when we get on board.

I also read the WSJ article. Bedbugs have to be killed will insecticides that are no longer available or by washing in 155 degree water. There was a quote from a hotel or cruise line stating their sheets were cleaned in water hot enough to kill the bugs. However, if the bugs get into the mattress, the mattress should be thrown away.

Just an extra tip for anyone who might be interested. I had an exterminator at my house this week for a routine temite inspection, and he happened to mention how much work they are doing with bedbugs. He said the most common way bedbugs are brought into a home is from people who have just returned from a cruise and stored there luggage under the bed. Bedbugs are heavily entrenched under the beds long before they are noticeable to people and the space is so tight, that it's only natural to transfer to the luggage while it's under there.

Hint... find another alternative for storing luggage while on a ship, even if you have to look at it all week long.:o

Good to know.. Thanks for passing that along. I'll leave our luggage on the balcony!

Just an extra tip for anyone who might be interested. I had an exterminator at my house this week for a routine temite inspection, and he happened to mention how much work they are doing with bedbugs. He said the most common way bedbugs are brought into a home is from people who have just returned from a cruise and stored there luggage under the bed. Bedbugs are heavily entrenched under the beds long before they are noticeable to people and the space is so tight, that it's only natural to transfer to the luggage while it's under there.

Hint... find another alternative for storing luggage while on a ship, even if you have to look at it all week long.:o

Good to know.. Thanks for passing that along. I'll leave our luggage on the balcony!

A twin sized AeroBed out on the balcony is starting to sound good to me. I can add my duct tape, over the door hanger, and power strip into the AeroBed's travel bag...

Who'd a thought it would get to where we'd be bringing our own beds...in addition to our own sodas and booze?

Even though I am not going to worry about the Bed bugs, I will check the matteress like others suggested in another thread. Look for little brown dots in the lining, it may take a couple of minutes of my vacation, but I believe it will be worth it. Thanks about the tip for the luggage, I will not store mine under the bed anymore.

Happy Cruisin'

Kathy

The couple experienced bites during their cruise but thought they were getting an insect (like a mosquito) bite. It wasn't until their last night that they were awoken after the wife felt something crawling on her. Jumped out of bed and turned on the lights to find 50-60 of the bugs on her and her husband.

:eek:

Eeeeeu!

This reminds me of the show Airline on A&E. A guy tried to check luggage for and board a southwest airlines plane with roaches infested in his luggage. There must have been 100 of them! :eek:

Ok, so now we're checking for bedbugs. :rolleyes:

.... no, and Naren doesn't count as a bedbug ;)

Sounds to me like another good reason to pack duct tape and bungee cords. Leaving on a cruise Sunday. Plan to pack both so I can hang our luggage from the ceiling. :D

Dianne

YUCK:eek: My husband travels most of the week for business---staying in hotels. Do I have to "De-Louse" him each time he returns home??

All this talk about BedBugs really grosses me out!!!

I'd truly worry more about the bug on the beach than the bugs in your bed while on a cruise.

Dianne

The last thing you want to do is to use the spray for head lice..etc. Those sprays are very potent and toxic...you don't want to put your face or body into that chemical all night. Keep in mind that chemicals on the skin are absorbed into the body - thus the new "patch" medications.Why not store your luggage in lawn and leaf bags..our new luggage nests one into the other so all you have is one large bag....tie it up tight with a giant plastic bag.

We once brought ants home from a hotel...they were in our shoes and luggage...everywhere. Not as bad as BB.

Fortunately these situations are isolated...and once they hit the news you can be sure the ships are keeping a close eye out for the problem.

Nighty Night.

Sleep tight...

Sounds to me like another good reason to pack duct tape and bungee cords. Leaving on a cruise Sunday. Plan to pack both so I can hang our luggage from the ceiling. :D

Dianne

Dianne, thanks so much for the laugh on this one, I have to tell you I was rolling on the floor, just had the visual of walking into the room with various suitcases hanging!

Which ship are you on Sunday? We are also leaving Sunday on Explorer.

:eek:

Eeeeeu!

This reminds me of the show Airline on A&E. A guy tried to check luggage for and board a southwest airlines plane with roaches infested in his luggage. There must have been 100 of them! :eek:

Ok, so now we're checking for bedbugs. :rolleyes:

.... no, and Naren doesn't count as a bedbug

Jen,

I saw that episode too! The man was adamantly refusing to give up the luggage even though the roaches were scurrying from it and around it while he watched....:eek: There were hundreds of roaches running on the pavement and over the man's shoes. Finally the airline said if he refused to hand over the luggage for destruction, he would not be allowed to board the plane. Imagine if those roaches went undetected and he along with the infested luggage went onboard???? I hate to think of the consequences for the other passengers.

As far as bed bugs go......I stayed in a Marriott last weekend in NY State and thoroughly checked my mattress before I laid down on it. I think this is the new normal :( We need to be dilligent.

I wonder, if you did get into your cabin, check the bed and discovered them would they have a "spare" mattress on board to replace it with?? Hmm, maybe I should consider one of those rubber mattress covers - LOL!

I don't know if this board is good or bad for me :D - sea lice, bed bugs, rogue waves, holes in my ship! I think I liked it when I was naive. But, hey we still have 2 cruises booked... :D

I wonder, if you did get into your cabin, check the bed and discovered them would they have a "spare" mattress on board to replace it with?? Hmm, maybe I should consider one of those rubber mattress covers - LOL!

I don't know if this board is good or bad for me :D - sea lice, bed bugs, rogue waves, holes in my ship! I think I liked it when I was naive. But, hey we still have 2 cruises booked... :D

redcat72:

Even if you saw bedbugs on your mattress.....replacing the mattress may not be enough, people have said that even the head boards were infested! I'm freaking out just thinking about it :(

My friends and I just returned from Cancun, Mexico. We stayed at the Melia Turquesa. The hotel was very nice and appeared to be extremely clean. There were 3 of us in our room with 2 full size beds. We were staying for 3 nights so we figured we would rotate thru so each one would get a night in the "alone bed". I got the bed to myself the first night, Ann got the bed the second night and Nancy was supposed to get the bed the 3rd night but I didn't feel well so I told her I was taking it because if I was getting sick, I don't want to get one of them sick. I felt great the next morning and got up very early to get coffee and save chairs. Ann jumped in the "alone bed" once I left to get some more sleep.

At breakfast a few hours later, I noticed all these red bumps. They started on my left hand, then my arm, then the right hand and arm, then later, my legs. Then Ann started getting them as well. We were both itching and scratching the entire day and for several days after that. Nancy never slept in the "alone bed". I went to the doctors when we returned and they just called it contact dermatitis but I think it's odd that Ann and I both slept in that bed and we both got it within hours of each other. We are not related so it's not like we could share an allergy to detergents or something.

It may be totally unrelated but I thought I would share.

My friends and I just returned from Cancun, Mexico. We stayed at the Melia Turquesa. The hotel was very nice and appeared to be extremely clean. There were 3 of us in our room with 2 full size beds. We were staying for 3 nights so we figured we would rotate thru so each one would get a night in the "alone bed". I got the bed to myself the first night, Ann got the bed the second night and Nancy was supposed to get the bed the 3rd night but I didn't feel well so I told her I was taking it because if I was getting sick, I don't want to get one of them sick. I felt great the next morning and got up very early to get coffee and save chairs. Ann jumped in the "alone bed" once I left to get some more sleep.

At breakfast a few hours later, I noticed all these red bumps. They started on my left hand, then my arm, then the right hand and arm, then later, my legs. Then Ann started getting them as well. We were both itching and scratching the entire day and for several days after that. Nancy never slept in the "alone bed". I went to the doctors when we returned and they just called it contact dermatitis but I think it's odd that Ann and I both slept in that bed and we both got it within hours of each other. We are not related so it's not like we could share an allergy to detergents or something.

It may be totally unrelated but I thought I would share.

Things that make you go HMMMMM :confused:

Dianne, thanks so much for the laugh on this one, I have to tell you I was rolling on the floor, just had the visual of walking into the room with various suitcases hanging!

Which ship are you on Sunday? We are also leaving Sunday on Explorer.

\

Always happy to help lighten the load for anxious cruisers.

Gwynn & I are on X Millie Sunday out of FL. And yes, We'd hang our luggage from the ceiling before handing it over to the steward for storage if we're afraid of bugs. Where do you think the cabin steward is going to store it if there's a bug problem aboard ship, on the floor or from the ceiling?

Go figure.

Seriously, though, DH and I still live in the house in which we raised 3 dogs to heaven, innumerable cats and kits and 3 children who are now grown and gone on to adulthood?

Can't tell you how many times our son (middle child) and I would have red welts show up, itching and scratching and no one else in the family had them.

Problem was fleas coming into the house on our pets.

A doc once told me years ago my attraction from these critters was my blood type. I'm A negative. Busted doc's bubble when my son became picnic target. He's O positive. Only A-negative child I have is my youngest one and she doesn't share our problem with bug bite attraction.

Been on beaches with entire family and only one or two of us are picked out for target bites.

My mother worked for years as a matron in a local women's prison. She told me stories about how they, as matrons, would keep the male guards in line with their duties.

All she had to do was to ask the guards to remove a matress from a cell where she said she suspected bed bugs. Those guards would start itching and scratching the minute they were sent into the cell room and swear they got bit by bed bugs, even though Mom knew there had been no bug bites reported from the cell's inhabitants.

Mom would laugh all the way home from work and keep laughing until she told me what was happening. One cool cookie, Mom was. Forgot to mention, she was a matron in maximum security and death row at the time.

Dianne

Archived