New light on tipping

richm20

Just for fun, I did some math. I used the gem as an example. Interesting how much each staff member gets, assuming that NCL gives all of the daily service fees to its employees.

Gem holds 2,466 guess based on double occupancy. Im sailing on the 4/8 (spring break) so i assume the numbers will be higher but lets use 2000 guests. The gem holds just over 1000 crew, I know all crew members don't get $ from the "tip pool" but lets say 1000.

Technically I'm underestimation my numbers, so this should be the minimum amount each crew member would receive, its possible that it could be a lot more.

2000 guests X $12 a day = $24000

$24000 a day X 7 days = $168000

$168000 / 1000 crew = $168 EACH

Thats a LOT more then I thought. That does not include any of the gratuity added to drinks and food service. Heck, thats almost $9k a year in tips alone.

I still intend on tipping as normal just found the #'s surprising.

Ah.

Well, it isn't a tip. It's the service charge. It's how the crew gets paid.

Tips are anything you give them after paying the service charge.

No, thats not how the crew gets paid. The crew gets a salary as well. Im told it was added origionaly due to the fact that it is not common for Europeans to tip (they arent cheap is just not the norm) so the cruise lines added the fee to accommodate that.

If every guest opted out of the OPTIONAL service charge, your are saying the crew wouldn't get paid for that trip?

Their pay is minuscule. The service charge gets distributed to them. NCL eats the credit card fee.

Yes, without the service charge being paid, the crew's family back home will go hungry.

It's a service charge. A charge for service. It doesn't mention a charge for exceptional service or for good service. Merely service.

It needs to be paid.

I should add that Im well aware that the crew doest see most of this money. Like I said in my OP "assuming that NCL gives all of the daily service fees to its employees"

I should also add that on my week cruise, Ill probably be around $500 in actual cash tips!

You've been a member since 2008 and you can sit here and say that you have not or never read any threads on this topic. What is your real purpose of the post.

Yes, this is my first time seeing this topic.

My point...I was smoking a cigar, locked in the garage because I cant smoke in the house, and was bored. Cecked my account to make sure it reflected that I did prepay ALL MY SERVICE charges and I got to thinking. So I did some math and posted it.

Hey now. It's been a couple of weeks since we had a rancorous tipping thread argued by people who don't the way the system works even though the crew is very happy with the system!!!

Enjoy, everyone!:eek:

Rancorous? Why would it turn out that way? My OP was absolutely not Rancorous

Im also very aware how the system works, but thanks for your input. I currently employ 2 ex- room stewards that wanted a better life so moved to the states to make a real living. I hear cruise stories all the time.

Am I missing something? 9K for 70/80 hrs per week is pitiful :confused:

I agree. And because the ships aren't based in a US port, they usually aren't paid "minimum wage" either. We were told this by the Concierge and Butler on one of our cruises.

Would love to know how this turned into a bash the crew post. I simply typed in some math.

Read the entire post, dont try and pick it apart to make it something it isn't.

Did I say not to pay it? NO

Did I say to reduce he tips you may or may not already give or plan on givig? NO

RELAX!

I don't think this is funny at all. The crew's work very hard for very little.

Posts like yours are hilarious! NOBODY said the crew doesnt work hard. The fact that you can turn this into a "hate the crew" post is comical!

the traditionally tipped employees base salary is $50-100 per month not per week. They do take home more because they have a minimum draw against the DSC but if they don't meet this, its likely they won't be rehired...

the traditionally tipped employees base salary is $50-100 per month not per week. They do take home more because they have a minimum draw against the DSC but if they don't meet this, its likely they won't be rehired...

The 2 guys that work for me made a lot more then that. they worked for Carnival and made about $250 a week. Obviously its NOTHING comared to the work they do but they considered it god $. Almost all of it went home, they had very little expenditures on board, mostly $1 beers and extra little stuff.

Obviously it is nothing next to what they make now, but that $ went a lot further "at home" then it does in the states. They were some of the highest paid people in their families. Sad but true.

I will try to dispel some of the rumors, and expect to get flamed, so here goes.!!

First -- I couldn't find the breakdown for NCL, but did get the figures on Carnival who charges 11.50 per day. I would assume the breakdown would be close.

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day as follows(our recommended guideline effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward):

$ 3.70 - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

Our two room stewards handled 36 rooms so that means with two people in a room contributed $7.40 per day per room which comes to $266.40 per day for the two stewards. I don't know what percentage of that goes to them in dollars, but the total amount is supposed to be for their "benefit". You can take it from there. Do the math to figure their weekly- monthly- and annual income.

They were from different countries, so the wages they could earn for the same work at home would vary, but certainly would be a small percentage of what they can earn on a ship.

Another assumption would be that the NCL breakdown would be close to that of Carnival.

Yes, I am a newbie. But I think if you can afford to take a cruise, you should be able to take care of the people who are taking care of you. That being said, I think the booze prices suck and may try to do something about that. ;):rolleyes:

BTW, how do you get the little countdown thingymabob?

Archived