Passover aboard ship?

derf5585

my sister whose b-day is April 26th purposely put off her birthday celebration because of Passover (not being able to eat b-day cake) so we're taking her out tomorrow (Sunday) evening, but I'm now realizing if we eat before sundown it's still technically the last day of Passover..... I'm curious to see if she sticks to it or if she eats bread / cake at dinner tomorrow!!!!! :)

Why not just have dinner after sundown? I certainly understand how much we're ready for the end, but I also hear my friends who celebrate Lent talk about how long they abstain from wanted food and other things. Perhaps it's good for us in the end. Who knows?

My wishes for a healthy grandbaby as well. My 4 grandsons remind me every time that I see them how lucky if am to have the opportunity to 'make memories' with and for them. So no matter boy or girl - enjoy a wonderful relationship with a healthy baby. AND do let us know all of the details.

Anyone want my last box of Matzoh??

Thanks everyone for all your good wishes...........it may be that their journey to the hospital was a bit premature (even if the baby isn't!!;) ) they have kept her in but may be shipping her back home today if nothing happens........this baby will come when it's good and ready and not a moment before!

Love Sue x

Tonight is leftover night! My family will eat all the remains of the meals we've "enjoyed" all week, and if we just can't face them again, we'll have matzo pizza or Hopple Popple (salami and eggs). I've got my shopping list ready for next week, though, and I can't believe how many pasta meals my family has requested! <grin>

Because of all the medical woes, we've gone through this year, we've postponed a whole lot of occasions. For example, we're having Thanksgiving on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Who says an occasion HAS to be celebrated on a particular day? I spent my birthday in the hospital, so this year, we're going to celebrate my half-birthday! Ya gotta get creative!

Sheila, we passed full term last Wednesday!! Now the hospital say if nothing happens today they will induce her tomorrow, at least they didn't send her home!! The baby had probably heard us all moaning about the matzahs and thought it would hold on till that was all over and done with!!;)

Meryl, what a great idea to personalise your special occasions! Why should we conform if it doesn't suit us?? Have those special days when YOU want them, you certainly deserve them. For your special "half birthday" I wish you happy days, love, laughter and lots of rainbows!!:)

Love Sue x

My wishes for wonderful birthday, half birthday, holiday and 'just because you want to' celebrations. Our family always celebrates a loooong Thanksgiving to accommodate various schedules and make all in-law families happy. AND any day with our grandchildren is a day to celebrate. Good for you, MerrylG - wishes for a healthy 'rest of the year' and many more to come...celebrate Life!

Tonight is leftover night! My family will eat all the remains of the meals we've "enjoyed" all week, and if we just can't face them again, we'll have matzo pizza or Hopple Popple (salami and eggs).

QUOTE]

Can I get please that recipe for matzo pizza?

Thanks. :cool:

When I was a small child and lived in NY, my Dad use to make salami and eggs all the time. I remember putting some mustard on it and yummy, yummy. Not really a popular Pacific Northwest dish.:rolleyes: Of course that doesn't mean I couldn't give it a try. Do you make it kind of like an omelet?

Matzo Pizza -

Ingredients: Two boards matzo

Passover-friendly pizza sauce*

Passover-friendly shredded mozzarella cheese*

Directions: Break each matzo board into four square-shaped pieces and place on a cookie sheet. Spoon the pizza sauce on top, and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top. Of course, you can jazz it up with oregano, basil, or whatever other spices you like. Broil until the cheese melts.

* We found both of these at the Quality Kosher market in Atlanta. It's one of my favorite places to shop! Where else can I find kishke?!?

Of course, you can add sliced mushrooms, green peppers, onions, etc. before you put the mozzarella cheese on.

Salami & Eggs -

Ingredients: 2 tablespoons Passover-friendly margerine

2 - 3 ounce piece of Passover-friendly salami*

2 eggs

1 scallion, diced (optional)

1/4 small green pepper, diced (optional)

1 small Roma tomato, diced (optional)

Directions: Dice the salami into small pieces. Melt the margerine in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Beat the two eggs in a small bowl. Saute the salami, scallion, green pepper, and tomato in the frying pan for a few minutes. Add the eggs and cook until the bottom side is done. (It sometimes helps to cover the pan.) Slide the omelet onto a large plate and "flip" it back into the frying pan to cook the other side. When done, slide back onto the plate, season to your liking, and enjoy!

* Again, we found this at Quality Kosher. Be careful, though! Some salamis are kosher, but NOT kosher for Passover!

(I usually use only salami and eggs, but this morning, DH decided he wanted the salami and eggs for breakfast, and he loves veggies. So, I got creative! I guess it WILL be leftovers tonight!)

Whew! I can cook with pasta again! Rice, here we come! And sandwiches ... ! My family is rejoicing!

So when and to where are you all cruising? Our next cruise will be a Hanukkah present for all of us - we're sailing on the Golden on December 17th. We're really excited about it! I've been pouring over the cruise boards, and now even my DH, who has never been a fan of the Internet, is getting interested. He's especially tickled that we've got (as sueredland put it) a "Jews who cruise" thread going. <grin>

Guest enjoycruises

YAHOO!!!! Back to real food again! MerryIG thanks for the recipes. I too have made the pizza before and my son actually likes it.

We are cruising next month on the Serenade of the Seas to Alaska. This is a late 25th anniversary(We are almost at 27 yrs.) present and we are taking our son with us.

"Jews who cruise" sounds very catchy don't u think? Now that Pesach is over, one of us should start THAT thread going.

Not only is Pesach over, but so is my recuperation. I am back to the office on Tuesday so no more checking in throughout the day.

Sleep well all. Gey shlofin! Nitey nite.:)

We're off to the Galapagos on Friday...a 70th birthday present for my husband and our 44th wedding anniversary...where did the years go? My mind thinks it's only 40 yrs. old!

We're sailing on the Celebrity Xpedition and spending a few days pre and post cruise in Quito, Ecuador. That's a big deal since the altitude is 9300 feet and I'm getting over bronchitis... a bit worried about breathing. Only 5 more days to shake the remains of my cough.

But...we're so excited. I'll be out of touch for 12 days...so kept me posted on where this thread is going (or if it's got a new title).

Good night to all

Galapagos sounds fantastic -- can't wait to hear about your trip when you get back. We were in Quito several years ago, and you do feel the altitude at first; just take it slowly, drink plenty of water so you don't get dehydrated, and snack on little candies (we used m+m's) so your blood sugar doesn't get too low -- we did this, and it really did help, even for my parents who were in their late 70's with heart trouble when we went.

I must say that I miss the Pesach excuse for having eggs for breakfast -- now it's back to soy milk and fiber one cereal! At least there is a piece of rum cake waiting at the office...

I agree with earlier posters, enough with how do I get booze on board and what kind of beer is on ship. These board prove Jackie Mason right. Jews and cake, Goyim and drink. We are mid 50's, very active, do a lot of travelling and don't devote all our travelling to cruising. This year it is Budapest, Vienna and Prague. Lots of Jewish sites to see. We make a point of seeing all the Jewish museums and major synagogues when we travel. Did you know that after the Duomo, the highest dome in Florence is the Florence Synagogue. It is a beautiful place. By the way, who goes to Shabbat services on ship?

On our last cruise (Alaska - June 2004), we attended the Shabbat services and met a very interesting family. We changed our dinner seating so that we could sit at their table (our original table was a table for 6, and the other two couples seemed to be competing as to who could drink the most cocktails and not fall into their food). At the service, we also met a very nice rabbi who did NOT want to lead the service. We had met him the night before at a restaurant in Anchorage where he was celebrating a family member's Bar Mitzvah (the cruise was a post-reception reception for the family). He was very glad when we didn't let on that he was a rabbi. I guess even rabbis need a vacation!

My wife grew up in Detroit, and sure enough, we managed to go back there one year to see the Cruis'n Woodward experinece. Pretty nice if I say so myself, and I'm not a car person.

Jews that Cruise, :eek: Yids at Sea, :eek: whatever - maybe we should have a poll or a contest for the new thread.

This year it is Budapest, Vienna and Prague. Lots of Jewish sites to see.
My parents actually grew up in Austria and the Czech Republic -- they left in '39. We will actually be there next month for a special family gathering: the unveiling and dedication (on Father's day) of a memorial for all of my Father's friends and family members who didn't escape. If you happen to pass through Laa an der Thaya (northern Austria on the Czech border), stop by and have a look. We hope to make it to Hungary and the Czech Republic as well if time allows...

When we were on the Dawn Princess in January I ended up leading services -- that's what happens when you are the last to get there! It went OK -- only a few lapses in memory here and there.

Guest enjoycruises

I like the name "Yids at Sea" better than "Jews that cruise". With the first name those that don't know what a "yid" is, won't bother us and with the second name, we might get some derogatory remarks made towards us and we don't need that!

Isn't "yid" a derrogatory term? What about "Chosen on the Ocean?" Think about it -- did He divide the sea for everyone? No! He did it for us! (Hubby just came up with that! Boy, I sure do love that man!)

Archived