Clear-Bottom Kayaking & Eco-life Tour by Oasis Divers Review

TKDgirl2456

My sister and I went on a clear-bottom kayaking excursion with a company called Oasis Divers in Grand Turk and it was the BEST excursion we've ever been on.

It was $70pp, but worth every penny. We booked it through Carnival, so they picked us up on an open-air truck right from the dock. It was about a 15min bus ride through Grand Turk before we arrived at the kayaking hut. The staff was VERY friendly and knowledgable about the wildlife.

The kayaking itself is easy at times, we had a windy day and it was a bit of a challenge coming against the current. The clear bottom made the work worth it. You kayak in a river, so not out in the ocean and the bottom of the river is sometimes as close as a few inches. Our tour-guide was able to reach into the water and pull out a Mangrove Jellyfish from the bottom and let us hold it (They don't sting). We did go for a bit of a walk on the beach, where our guide showed us local plants and what they are used for (eating, drinking, perfume, medicinal, relieve lower back pain, etc), as well as a bit of history about the island. Afterwards, he showed us some more aquatic life, including live conchs, sea urchins and sea cucumbers, all of which we were allowed to hold. He then talked about the culinary aspects of conch and allowed us each to try a small piece of raw conch that had been prepared while we were on the walk. That's about as fresh as it gets.

If you enjoy wildlife & enjoy canoeing/kayaking, I highly recommend this tour. If you burn easily, bring a small sunscreen with you, wear a hat & a tshirt - you will be under the sun for at least 2 hours and I would have looked like a lobster if I hadn't brought a travel sunscreen with me.

• 3 months later...

Archived