Lecture series?

AMAC86

I keep hearing about the "lecture series" on Celebrity ships, but I haven't come across any information about it. How do I find out what lectures will be occuring on the ship and approximately when?

I keep hearing about the "lecture series" on Celebrity ships, but I haven't come across any information about it. How do I find out what lectures will be occuring on the ship and approximately when?

Speakers--and therefore, their topics--vary from sailing to sailing... You will know who is aboard/what will be featured during your trip via the daily newletter--Celebrity Today--upon boarding... The actual schedule for those lectures will be announced in subsequent issues of the daily [your stateroom attendant will leave a copy of the next day's edition during turn-down every night]...

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to determine the line-up of speakers/topics for a specific sailing in advance...

Thanks for the info. I figured as much. Are there some series that are typically always given? For example, I've heard that there are lectures about ship navigation, charting, etc. I imagine there are always officers on board to give these lectures. It all sounds very interesting to me.

We were on the 10 day Equinox Feb 3 sailing and Dr. Alex Filippenko, an award-winning astronomer, gave a lecture an various topics in astronomy on each of the 4 sea days in the Celebrity Central venue. He was part of the Smithsonian Journeys series and his presentations were packed every time. We had no idea ahead of time that he or anyone of his caliber would be speaking on the cruise.

Are there some series that are typically always given? For example, I've heard that there are lectures about ship navigation, charting, etc. I imagine there are always officers on board to give these lectures.

Officer presentations are pretty typical but are not necessarily a given... Some Captains/Cruise Directors are better about promoting officer engagement [the events you describe are one means of doing so] than others...

Again, watch Celebrity Today for offerings/scheduling... To some extent, availability will be influenced by itinerary [much, but not necessarily all, of this stuff occurs on sea days]...

My most recent Celeb lectures were a very good Smithsonian lecture series on the history Hollywood Movies and their stars (excellent).

A series of lectures on the artist Paul Gauguin (very good)

A series on the geology of New Zealand (fair, at best)

The Smithsonian lectures are promoted for selected sailings. Here's a brochure for 2011 that is currently available at X website.

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/celebrity_life/Smithsonian_Journeys.pdf

Looks the Caribbean is not in the Smithsonian program but there are still some lectures about pirates and navigation (that's what I read here at CC)

The Naturist Brent Nixon at the Infinity sailing to Alaska was a highlight for me and the main theater was packed every day.

I read a post about star gazing from the lawn, that I will love too!

German

Archived