So here's my plan, opinions welcome

Spligit

The wife and myself are going on the Splendida May 3rd and my goal is to have a "real" lunch or such at each stop. I would love to hear of any great authentic places we would love to eat at. Any help would be great.

-Genoa, Italy

-Barcelona, Spain

-Tunis, Tunisia

-La Valletta, Malta

-Messina (Sicily), Italy

-and 2 nights in Rome after the cruise

Try using trip advisor for restaurant reviews. That's what i always do when im planning my lunches out...and in the reviews they usually write what they ate too so u can have a pretty good idea. I'm from Malta and i'm telling you it's hard to find an authentic Maltese restaurant unless you plan to get out of Valletta because we are influenced greatly by other cuisines especially Italian. One of my favourite restaurants is in Valletta Waterfront...not far from where the ship docks. It's called pepe nero and it is one of the best pizzerias in Malta. They have a good variety of dishes though...love that place. Some doors down there is also Heat, again Italian influences but very good. They both open for lunch.

Go to the ports boards and ask the specific question for each port... that is the best way. All the people there have been there recently or are in the know... good luck.. I love the idea, we like to have authentic meals too.. :)

When we're planning a DIY trip I always plan where we're going to eat in the vicinity...a place that comes recomended. I just search on tripadvisor for restaurants in the location I will be at around lunchtime, see the reviews of people and decide accordingly. it's really very easy, and you can plan out your walk on google maps and print it. Once you try it you'll never go abroad without this method I'm telling you. I'm always afraid that I end up at a tourist restaurant like I did in Venice. I didn't know of google maps and tripadvisor back then and ended up eating lasagne with canned sauce...in VENICE!! Yuck!!

Archived