Flying & Cruising with 1 Year Old

maritaysa

She'll be closer to 13 months when we cruise, so I'm hoping to have her on regular milk by then. This will be our first cruise with our Gia Belle, and would appreciate any tips that you can share. We will be flying in from LAX to IAH on the day of our cruise. It's a direct flight, thank goodness. We'll be taking Carnival transport to and from the port. I was hoping to changing our flight to the day before, but the extra cost won't work for us. What can I do on the flight to ensure it to be as smooth as possible for her. And how in the world do I change her diaper on the plane? I've been trying to figure that out, and if I remember correctly---airplane bathrooms are small. For the cruise itself, I'm really going to try to pack what I need. We're hoping to get everything into 2 checked in luggage and 2 carry-ons. Is this realistic? Thank you for your help!

I'm afraid I can't offer any tips on the cruising part of your question, as we're taking our 6 year old on his first cruise next week - but I know others will chime in!

As for the flying - that is a relatively short flight, so I wouldn't worry too much. I flew on my own from Edmonton (Alberta, Canada) to Rome with my then 13 month old and it was fine - the hardest part was just managing all of our stuff, and you'll have an extra pair of hands for that! I tend to overpack my carry-on slightly when traveling with a little one as I'd rather have things I don't need than need something I don't have! Make sure you have a change of clothes for her, and yourself - which should ensure that you won't need them. ;) Pack a few of her favourite toys (quiet ones!) and books, and don't forget her lovey if she has one! I usually (even now) stick a little something in my bag that my son hasn't seen before, in case he gets restless. It doesn't work now (sigh), but at that age I used to loosely wrap whatever it was in a few layers of tissue paper - he would sit tearing the paper off little piece by little piece until he eventually got to his prize. The downside to this was that you have to watch them like a hawk to make sure they don't try to eat the paper, and you have a million little bits of paper to clean up at the end, but it is worth it (I think) in the extra "quiet time" it gains you - plus, it is really kind of cute to watch the concentration as they try to open it! Also pack some little snacks (whatever she's into at the time that isn't too messy), an empty sippy cup (you can fill it with water/juice/etc. after going through security) and a bottle if she's still using one. Take twice as many diapers and wipes as you think you'll need between the time you walk out of the house and when you get your bags on the ship. If you have one, an iPad with age appropriate games and books loaded on it would be great and really cut down on the amount of stuff (board books are so bulky!) - obviously that wasn't an option when my son was little, but I've played with one with my young nieces and they enjoy it. If she uses them, have a couple of soothers with you - if possible, give her one (or a bottle or a drink) for take-off and landing - it will help her equalize her ears. That being said, if she's asleep don't wake her to give it to her!!! (Although do have it handy...) Now don't get me wrong - you can travel with MUCH less than this! As I said, I don't tend to do "minimalistic" when it comes to traveling with a little one, however when my son was 13 months I had to fly with him from Rome to Belfast with (supposedly) only ID & money in a clear plastic baggie (it was after a bomb scare at Heathrow). I added to that: a few diapers, pack of wipes, disposable bib, cheapest sippy cup I had, a soother, a McDonald's toy (the ones for under 2s are great - who cares if you lose it or have to throw it out!) & his lovey (luckily we have more than 1). A kind flight attendant gave him a clean plastic cup to play with on board and we were set. It wasn't our easiest flight ever, and I'd rather not make a habit of traveling that way - but it was totally doable!

At least one of the washrooms on board will have a changing table in it (the kind that fold down) - and when in use it will take up most of the space. If my DH was traveling with us, he would often stand at the door and pass me things as I needed them, which made life easier as there just isn't much space to put anything down. However, I could also manage just fine on my own.

You didn't mention if you have booked a seat for your daughter. If you have - great! If not, that works too. We've done both, and the trips where he was in his own familiar car seat were definitely easier. What we found best for travel was a product called the Sit N Stroll - we used it in many countries on 3 continents; as a seat in cars, airplanes, buses, ferries and trains; as a booster seat in restaurants/friend's houses/churches (just pop it on the pew and he'd sit quietly!); and as a stroller everywhere from the mall to Rome (not ideal on cobblestones, but it works!) to Manly Beach, Australia (just try not to get sand in the wheel mechanism!). DH and I were both so sad when our son outgrew it, because it made things so easy. We'd even bring it when we didn't have a seat booked for him on the plane! Also good for getting around is a backpack style carrier, and this might be best for excursions. Finally, the one thing I never, ever traveled without at that age was one of those backpack style harnesses for my son - it was so cute (a little doggy), he loved it and it kept him safe! I always swore I wouldn't use one, but he started walking at 10 months and after the first time he got away from me in a mall...:eek: I went and bought one that day! It was great for giving him a sense of freedom (and saving my back!) while still keeping him safe.

My least favourite part of traveling with a little one is going through security - it is that much more of a nuisance. What I've found makes a big difference, and it's such a little thing, is having a plan. I know, it sounds obvious, but trust me taking the moment to discuss it beforehand can make everything go much more smoothly! Nothing elaborate - for example: "I'll put my personal items through, remove baby from stroller, walk through, while you (DH) collapse stroller, put it through, deal with larger carry-ons (removing laptop, etc.) then walk through and immediately open stroller again, I'll install baby, then collect my personal items and diaper bag, you (DH) again deal with large carry-ons (put laptop, etc. away)." You're probably laughing at me now - but I promise it helps! FWIW, I also found as our son got older that talking through this process helped him remember what was going to happen and what he needed to do. In fact, we still do it despite the fact that I'm pretty sure he could cope with it completely on his own!

If you've managed to get through all this :rolleyes: then there is one last very important thing I'll say: RELAX! This is supposed to be a holiday! Plus, the calmer and more at ease you are, the calmer your daughter will be. Traveling with your child is great! And while the logistics can be a little more complex, it is so worth it. :)

I hope this has helped a little... Have a great trip!

Kat

(FWIW, my son had traveled across Canada multiple times, to the UK and back, and to Australia and back by the time he was 6 months! By ~18 months, I'd also flown both ways with him to Europe and to Australia on my own. So while I'm far from an expert, I have spent a fair amount of time in an airplane with an infant/toddler :p)

I'm afraid I can't offer any tips on the cruising part of your question, as we're taking our 6 year old on his first cruise next week - but I know others will chime in!

As for the flying - that is a relatively short flight, so I wouldn't worry too much. I flew on my own from Edmonton (Alberta, Canada) to Rome with my then 13 month old and it was fine - the hardest part was just managing all of our stuff, and you'll have an extra pair of hands for that! I tend to overpack my carry-on slightly when traveling with a little one as I'd rather have things I don't need than need something I don't have! Make sure you have a change of clothes for her, and yourself - which should ensure that you won't need them. ;) Pack a few of her favourite toys (quiet ones!) and books, and don't forget her lovey if she has one! I usually (even now) stick a little something in my bag that my son hasn't seen before, in case he gets restless. It doesn't work now (sigh), but at that age I used to loosely wrap whatever it was in a few layers of tissue paper - he would sit tearing the paper off little piece by little piece until he eventually got to his prize. The downside to this was that you have to watch them like a hawk to make sure they don't try to eat the paper, and you have a million little bits of paper to clean up at the end, but it is worth it (I think) in the extra "quiet time" it gains you - plus, it is really kind of cute to watch the concentration as they try to open it! Also pack some little snacks (whatever she's into at the time that isn't too messy), an empty sippy cup (you can fill it with water/juice/etc. after going through security) and a bottle if she's still using one. Take twice as many diapers and wipes as you think you'll need between the time you walk out of the house and when you get your bags on the ship. If you have one, an iPad with age appropriate games and books loaded on it would be great and really cut down on the amount of stuff (board books are so bulky!) - obviously that wasn't an option when my son was little, but I've played with one with my young nieces and they enjoy it. If she uses them, have a couple of soothers with you - if possible, give her one (or a bottle or a drink) for take-off and landing - it will help her equalize her ears. That being said, if she's asleep don't wake her to give it to her!!! (Although do have it handy...) Now don't get me wrong - you can travel with MUCH less than this! As I said, I don't tend to do "minimalistic" when it comes to traveling with a little one, however when my son was 13 months I had to fly with him from Rome to Belfast with (supposedly) only ID & money in a clear plastic baggie (it was after a bomb scare at Heathrow). I added to that: a few diapers, pack of wipes, disposable bib, cheapest sippy cup I had, a soother, a McDonald's toy (the ones for under 2s are great - who cares if you lose it or have to throw it out!) & his lovey (luckily we have more than 1). A kind flight attendant gave him a clean plastic cup to play with on board and we were set. It wasn't our easiest flight ever, and I'd rather not make a habit of traveling that way - but it was totally doable!

At least one of the washrooms on board will have a changing table in it (the kind that fold down) - and when in use it will take up most of the space. If my DH was traveling with us, he would often stand at the door and pass me things as I needed them, which made life easier as there just isn't much space to put anything down. However, I could also manage just fine on my own.

You didn't mention if you have booked a seat for your daughter. If you have - great! If not, that works too. We've done both, and the trips where he was in his own familiar car seat were definitely easier. What we found best for travel was a product called the Sit N Stroll - we used it in many countries on 3 continents; as a seat in cars, airplanes, buses, ferries and trains; as a booster seat in restaurants/friend's houses/churches (just pop it on the pew and he'd sit quietly!); and as a stroller everywhere from the mall to Rome (not ideal on cobblestones, but it works!) to Manly Beach, Australia (just try not to get sand in the wheel mechanism!). DH and I were both so sad when our son outgrew it, because it made things so easy. We'd even bring it when we didn't have a seat booked for him on the plane! Also good for getting around is a backpack style carrier, and this might be best for excursions. Finally, the one thing I never, ever traveled without at that age was one of those backpack style harnesses for my son - it was so cute (a little doggy), he loved it and it kept him safe! I always swore I wouldn't use one, but he started walking at 10 months and after the first time he got away from me in a mall...:eek: I went and bought one that day! It was great for giving him a sense of freedom (and saving my back!) while still keeping him safe.

My least favourite part of traveling with a little one is going through security - it is that much more of a nuisance. What I've found makes a big difference, and it's such a little thing, is having a plan. I know, it sounds obvious, but trust me taking the moment to discuss it beforehand can make everything go much more smoothly! Nothing elaborate - for example: "I'll put my personal items through, remove baby from stroller, walk through, while you (DH) collapse stroller, put it through, deal with larger carry-ons (removing laptop, etc.) then walk through and immediately open stroller again, I'll install baby, then collect my personal items and diaper bag, you (DH) again deal with large carry-ons (put laptop, etc. away)." You're probably laughing at me now - but I promise it helps! FWIW, I also found as our son got older that talking through this process helped him remember what was going to happen and what he needed to do. In fact, we still do it despite the fact that I'm pretty sure he could cope with it completely on his own!

If you've managed to get through all this :rolleyes: then there is one last very important thing I'll say: RELAX! This is supposed to be a holiday! Plus, the calmer and more at ease you are, the calmer your daughter will be. Traveling with your child is great! And while the logistics can be a little more complex, it is so worth it. :)

Kat

(FWIW, my son had traveled across Canada multiple times, to the UK and back, and to Australia and back by the time he was 6 months! By ~18 months, I'd also flown both ways with him to Europe and to Australia on my own. So while I'm far from an expert, I have spent a fair amount of time in an airplane with an infant/toddler :p)

Thank you for the great info Kat. You've given me a lot of food for thought!

Kat

I am going to have to STRONGLY disagree with you and say you ARE an expert ;)

-If she is walking at that point, let her walk around an empty area of the airport as much as possible before you board so there is less restlessness on the plane.

-Change her diaper right before you board, hopefully you won't have to change it on the plane.

-If you can swing it, buy her a seat on the plane and put her in her carseat.

-I know others may disagree but I'd suggest an umbrella stroller versus a larger model. We took our $35 umbrella stroller and it fit under the bed in the cabin when it was folded and worked fine on board the ship. It wasn't the greatest for ports but it survived and so did we.

-If she is walking at that point, let her walk around an empty area of the airport as much as possible before you board so there is less restlessness on the plane.

-Change her diaper right before you board, hopefully you won't have to change it on the plane.

-If you can swing it, buy her a seat on the plane and put her in her carseat.

-I know others may disagree but I'd suggest an umbrella stroller versus a larger model. We took our $35 umbrella stroller and it fit under the bed in the cabin when it was folded and worked fine on board the ship. It wasn't the greatest for ports but it survived and so did we.

Definitely agree with changing diaper before boarding. You may not need to change one on the plane. At least one of the bathrooms should have a changing table. Also, I agree with the umbrella stroller. We just came back from cruising with our 13 month old and it was such a good decision to bring the umbrella and not the bigger one. Easy to store, easy to maneuver, especially if you have to tender in port (Belize).

Another tip that I picked up for the flight was stickers. Just pick up a pack from the dollar store and break it out when the baby gets antsy and none of the other toys are doing it. That's probably 20 mins of fun (at least for our squirmy toddler). Bring lots of snacks as well.

Good luck and have fun! Our little one had a blast.

At that age I preferred seats in the back of the plane where it was easier to stand, access the bathrooms and the engine noise is a bit louder and acts as a buffer.

Always be prepared to be on the plane a lot longer than the plan. Long waits to take off, taxi to the gate, etc can happen and you'll be glad to have your own supply of water (bring empty bottles through security and fill them before boarding) and food, snacks, extra diapers, wipes.

Since you're trying to limit your luggage, put your diaper supply in the outer pockets of all your luggage - you'll be surprised how many can fit there. I took my girls at 13 months and used milk on board, but brought powdered formula for shore days since I could then just make it when they were ready and not worry about keeping it cold. It was great to be able to order milk from room service whenever I needed it - just bring a stack of single for tips.

Best,

Mia

At that age I preferred seats in the back of the plane where it was easier to stand' date=' access the bathrooms and the engine noise is a bit louder and acts as a buffer.

Always be prepared to be on the plane a lot longer than the plan. Long waits to take off, taxi to the gate, etc can happen and you'll be glad to have your own supply of water (bring empty bottles through security and fill them before boarding) and food, snacks, extra diapers, wipes.

Since you're trying to limit your luggage, put your diaper supply in the outer pockets of all your luggage - you'll be surprised how many can fit there. I took my girls at 13 months and used milk on board, but brought powdered formula for shore days since I could then just make it when they were ready and not worry about keeping it cold. It was great to be able to order milk from room service whenever I needed it - just bring a stack of single for tips.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

I was trying to figure out where the best seats would be. I like your reasons for being in the back of the plane. I'm praying that LO will transition to milk easily, because it will be nice to not have to pack all of that formula. Did you also pack baby food when you cruised with your girls at 13 months?

Great tip on packing the diapers too! :D

Ditto on what everyone else said....When we traveled with our DD, we brought along a portable DVD player with some Mickey Mouse Clubhouse DVD's (her favorite at the time). It really makes flying easier.

Snacks are a must and make sure you give her a bottle or sippy cup for take off and landing. Sometimes their ears can bother them. When they are a bit older, lollypops work great for that.

Also one tip for when on the cruise (if your DD is on milk), have room service deliver milk to your cabin at a certain time everyday. I kept them in the mini fridge in the room and therefore, had milk available at all times. Also make sure to bring some detergent to clean out the bottles/cups.

Have fun!

I was trying to figure out where the best seats would be. I like your reasons for being in the back of the plane. I'm praying that LO will transition to milk easily, because it will be nice to not have to pack all of that formula. Did you also pack baby food when you cruised with your girls at 13 months?

Some people don't like the back with kids because you exit the plane last, but I've found the trade-off is worth it (and if you gate check your stroller, you end up having to wait for that anyway). Passengers aren't allowed to stand at the front of the cabin anymore, so it's nice to be close to an area where you can stand with a restless toddler.

We were on Princess at that age, which provided baby food on board, but we didn't end up using any at all. It turned out that there were always lots of choices that were perfect in the dining room - pastas, salmon, veggies & meat drained from the soup, steamed veggies mashed up, etc.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Ditto the portable DVD player, but if you are going to get one, check out the battery life/play time of it first. Some out there actually only have a 90 minute battery life! That's one movie (or less, depending).

They have some that are 5 hrs, some that are 3. But you won't be able to charge it on board, so be prepared.

We charge ours the night before, and have even found an outlet in the terminal to charge it up again during layovers.

My DD, almost 5, has her own little rolling carryon bag. I keep her DVD player, coloring book, travel pillow, bag of snacks (emergency meltdown lollipop) one spare set of clothes for her, one spare set of clothes for DS aged 1 and extra diapers. You'd be surprised how much you can fit in those little kids bags. Pus it helps keep things organized.

My advice is do not worry about how long it takes to get you through security or board. Everything about travel is lines. People need to deal with it, or get over it. The airlines are used to families with multiple kids, disabled travelers, huge groups, etc. Don't worry, just take your time.

My least favourite part of traveling with a little one is going through security - i. . . . I also found as our son got older that talking through this process helped him remember what was going to happen and what he needed to do. In fact, we still do it despite the fact that I'm pretty sure he could cope with it completely on his own!

Even with a litle bitty one, talking her through what was going to happen at security seemed to help (I travelled alone with my 6MO cross country with two stopovers and security at each!). And if you stay calm, generally they will as well -- if they sense you getting uptight, they'll start fussing.

I used pacifier teathers to hold a few toys to the backpack carrier or stroller. Toddlers love to throw and this way you aren't always picking up. Find some teather friendly toys and switch them out regularly 'cause you'll be spending lots of time in line!

Have a great time -- don't sweat the small stuff (and 98% of it is 'small' stuff).

I posted a much longer response about traveling w/ a baby on the thread about parents taking their LO on a luxury cruise line.

It's do-able. It's not always easy, but if you're willing to be flexible and go with the baby's flow, you can still all have a good time. You know your baby best and how to keep your baby content. Traveling with a baby is about balancing time for your family, time for your self, and still getting some pampering for everyone in there.

We flew halfway across the world (14 hrs one way) w/ DS at 19 months and honestly, he weathered the flight better than I did. We did the opposite of Kerry's girls and asked for the bulkhead. DS was in a lap and we wanted to make sure 1. he didn't have any seats in front of him to kick, 2. we had a little legroom to allow him to climb off our laps and play on the floor when the seatbelt sign wasn't on. Being on one side in a two-seater meant he could look out the window and we only had one opening to block off if he tried to make a break for the aisle. Have extra diapers, wipes and snacks handy. We packed a couple new toys and books for him to pull out every so often. We had a bottle/sippy ready for take off and landing. When he got restless, DH or I would walk him up and down the aisle so long as he wasn't in the way of the flight attendant or other passengers. We were exhausted at the end of the flight managing him but DS overall behaved pretty well. He wasn't without fussing and he hated having to be securely held during take off and descent, but luckily for us a baby sipping on his cup is usually not a screaming one. Families w/ babies can usually board early - one trick is to send one parent ahead w/ all the stuff that needs to be stowed away, set up, etc. Then the other parent boards as late as allowed with the baby so that LO can toddle around the airport gate as long as possible before being confined to a seat.

For the cruise, we picked itineraries that were laid back and had ports that were walkable or could get to activities w/ public transport. We accepted that we will not be doing any active excursions for a while (ie snorkeling, kayaking, etc), more sightseeing and beach time. Know that your port plans may change on a moment's notice if something goes awry w/ LO. We chose ports that we would be happy to visit but wouldn't be heartbroken if we missed.

We chose flexible dining options so that we had the ability to eat when convenient for DS. Keeping him seated for a 2 hr multicourse dinner for all 7 days isn't going to happen peacefully, and especially not for a late seating. We can do it some nights, but not all. Thankfully, the cruises we've chosen gave us the option to dine earlier, get snacks around the clock, or if we needed to stay in the room, room service. We were able to use onboard food for most meals - he was eating solids/finger foods and has a dairy allergy so we would just request plain grilled meat/fish, steamed veg cooked until really soft, fruit and pasta for him. The staff was absolutely wonderful about accommodating him and playing with him whenever they stopped by our table. Everyone seemed to really love a smiling happy baby and would do their best to keep him smiling and giggling through meals. For offshore, we packed packaged snacks, jars of babyfood, juice boxes (soy milk), grabbed a couple of the little boxes of cheerios and were pretty much good for the day for him. All food that comes off the ship in port has to be sealed in original packaging. We brought his sippy cups and utensils, and a little tube of dish soap (I fill one of the travel bottles). I brought a 32 oz reusable bottle to fill w/ soymilk once/day and kept it in the fridge in our cabin, it's easier than hunting for soymilk throughout the day. Regular milk will be easier to find of course but having some handy is still convenient.

He was walking on his first cruise at 14 months so we let him waddle on deck in quieter areas of the ship. We also got a balcony and he loved being outside looking out the glass rail. Lounges are often closed and quiet during the day so we'd let him walk around there too. He loved seats that spin. We also took him for walks in the stroller on deck after dinner as a quiet settling down pre-bedtime routine, which helped us walk off the huge meal we just ate too. We brought a small inflatable pool and kept it on our balcony so he could splash in it on warm days and it was convenient for baths. A bucketful of water was plenty for him in it. Get the largest cabin that fits your budget - you'll be spending more time in it than you likely would w/o the baby plus PnPs take up a lot of floor space.

Know your baby's schedule and work with it - if your baby tends to be flexible about naps, bedtime, mealtimes, great! If not, maintain them to the best of your ability. Mine NEEDS a nap or no one will be happy, and is a holy terror when hungry. We made sure he got his naps, and ate when he needed to. DH and I would take turns going out while the other stayed in the cabin when DS slept. We knew we wouldn't be able to sleep in - something we haven't been able to do in years, and that we'd still be babyproofing the cabin, and chasing after him to keep him safe. It's not a vacation from being a mom but it's still a vacation. Most of all, enjoy not having to cook or clean so you can recharge and enjoy having this time w/ your family!

I posted a much longer response about traveling w/ a baby on the thread about parents taking their LO on a luxury cruise line.

It's do-able. It's not always easy, but if you're willing to be flexible and go with the baby's flow, you can still all have a good time. You know your baby best and how to keep your baby content. Traveling with a baby is about balancing time for your family, time for your self, and still getting some pampering for everyone in there.

We flew halfway across the world (14 hrs one way) w/ DS at 19 months and honestly, he weathered the flight better than I did. We did the opposite of Kerry's girls and asked for the bulkhead. DS was in a lap and we wanted to make sure 1. he didn't have any seats in front of him to kick, 2. we had a little legroom to allow him to climb off our laps and play on the floor when the seatbelt sign wasn't on. Being on one side in a two-seater meant he could look out the window and we only had one opening to block off if he tried to make a break for the aisle. Have extra diapers, wipes and snacks handy. We packed a couple new toys and books for him to pull out every so often. We had a bottle/sippy ready for take off and landing. When he got restless, DH or I would walk him up and down the aisle so long as he wasn't in the way of the flight attendant or other passengers. We were exhausted at the end of the flight managing him but DS overall behaved pretty well. He wasn't without fussing and he hated having to be securely held during take off and descent, but luckily for us a baby sipping on his cup is usually not a screaming one. Families w/ babies can usually board early - one trick is to send one parent ahead w/ all the stuff that needs to be stowed away, set up, etc. Then the other parent boards as late as allowed with the baby so that LO can toddle around the airport gate as long as possible before being confined to a seat.

For the cruise, we picked itineraries that were laid back and had ports that were walkable or could get to activities w/ public transport. We accepted that we will not be doing any active excursions for a while (ie snorkeling, kayaking, etc), more sightseeing and beach time. Know that your port plans may change on a moment's notice if something goes awry w/ LO. We chose ports that we would be happy to visit but wouldn't be heartbroken if we missed.

We chose flexible dining options so that we had the ability to eat when convenient for DS. Keeping him seated for a 2 hr multicourse dinner for all 7 days isn't going to happen peacefully, and especially not for a late seating. We can do it some nights, but not all. Thankfully, the cruises we've chosen gave us the option to dine earlier, get snacks around the clock, or if we needed to stay in the room, room service. We were able to use onboard food for most meals - he was eating solids/finger foods and has a dairy allergy so we would just request plain grilled meat/fish, steamed veg cooked until really soft, fruit and pasta for him. The staff was absolutely wonderful about accommodating him and playing with him whenever they stopped by our table. Everyone seemed to really love a smiling happy baby and would do their best to keep him smiling and giggling through meals. For offshore, we packed packaged snacks, jars of babyfood, juice boxes (soy milk), grabbed a couple of the little boxes of cheerios and were pretty much good for the day for him. All food that comes off the ship in port has to be sealed in original packaging. We brought his sippy cups and utensils, and a little tube of dish soap (I fill one of the travel bottles). I brought a 32 oz reusable bottle to fill w/ soymilk once/day and kept it in the fridge in our cabin, it's easier than hunting for soymilk throughout the day. Regular milk will be easier to find of course but having some handy is still convenient.

He was walking on his first cruise at 14 months so we let him waddle on deck in quieter areas of the ship. We also got a balcony and he loved being outside looking out the glass rail. Lounges are often closed and quiet during the day so we'd let him walk around there too. He loved seats that spin. We also took him for walks in the stroller on deck after dinner as a quiet settling down pre-bedtime routine, which helped us walk off the huge meal we just ate too. We brought a small inflatable pool and kept it on our balcony so he could splash in it on warm days and it was convenient for baths. A bucketful of water was plenty for him in it. Get the largest cabin that fits your budget - you'll be spending more time in it than you likely would w/o the baby plus PnPs take up a lot of floor space.

Know your baby's schedule and work with it - if your baby tends to be flexible about naps, bedtime, mealtimes, great! If not, maintain them to the best of your ability. Mine NEEDS a nap or no one will be happy, and is a holy terror when hungry. We made sure he got his naps, and ate when he needed to. DH and I would take turns going out while the other stayed in the cabin when DS slept. We knew we wouldn't be able to sleep in - something we haven't been able to do in years, and that we'd still be babyproofing the cabin, and chasing after him to keep him safe. It's not a vacation from being a mom but it's still a vacation. Most of all, enjoy not having to cook or clean so you can recharge and enjoy having this time w/ your family!

Thank you for this. One question that popped into my mind today was how do LO's do with the time change? Our time change will only be 2 hours. We're in CA, and will be cruising out of TX. I was thinking of keeping her on Pacific Time. Do you think that's a good idea?

Thank you for this. One question that popped into my mind today was how do LO's do with the time change? Our time change will only be 2 hours. We're in CA, and will be cruising out of TX. I was thinking of keeping her on Pacific Time. Do you think that's a good idea?

Keep in mind also that you may cross yet another time zone if the cruise is to the Caribbean. Every kid is different in how they handle jet lag. 12 hour difference to and from Taiwan (we're in EST) was a nightmare with a toddler. Where I'm used to adjusting sleep time on the airplane and forcing myself to stay awake the first full day in a new time zone, that just doesn't happen w/ a baby. They sleep when they sleep - tired out baby would not wake or stay awake no matter how hard we tried and that time difference was huge. Likewise, when we wanted him to sleep and he was wide awake, he just wouldn't have it no matter what routines and sleep cues we tried. He did adjust on his own though after a few days, especially as we would be out and about and did not blackout the room or anything. Same when we came home - the first couple days were challenging but he acclimated back to his normal schedule. The 2 days or so it took to get there though were my own exhausting personal hell since I had already acclimated to each time change while my son was 12 hours off.

For switching from Standard to daylight savings though, oddly enough, he has no issues whatsoever. Getting up and going to bed at the new "time", he maintains his his biological clock to what the official clock has been set to but it's certainly not like he knows how to read a clock yet. We have no problems shifting him by an hour. We don't know how he would handle a moderate difference like 3 hours or 6 hours. Take your cues from your baby and know that your mileage may vary. If you know that you can shift schedules at home normally, you may be fine to change her biological clock to ship time. If you think that she'll be ok maintaining her current schedule and you get the bonus of "sleeping in" compared to at home, that sounds perfectly good to me too. You could also try gradually shift her schedule a couple days before you leave. Keep in mind your baby may also rebel against any of your efforts to change her internal clock despite your best efforts. Or in a new environment, she may be too interested in everything going on to sleep. My in-bed-at-8-clockwork-or-you-will-regret-it 14 month old was suddenly staying up well past 9 on our first cruise wanting to keep playing and exploring. We pretty much let him stay up later within reason if he wasn't clearly exhausted, let him sleep until he naturally woke in the morning, and put him to bed/nap at whatever time he showed he was tired, even if he protested. It wasn't the same as at home for us, but he went right back to normal when we got home. You know their tired/desperately-need-sleep cues. Whether her body is on PST, CST or EST, I tend to feel it'll just be misery for all if you don't let her sleep when she is exhausted.

It just occurred to me I have no idea what gender your baby is, I'm just using the generic "she". My apologies if your baby is a boy. :D

Keep in mind also that you may cross yet another time zone if the cruise is to the Caribbean. Every kid is different in how they handle jet lag. 12 hour difference to and from Taiwan (we're in EST) was a nightmare with a toddler. Where I'm used to adjusting sleep time on the airplane and forcing myself to stay awake the first full day in a new time zone, that just doesn't happen w/ a baby. They sleep when they sleep - tired out baby would not wake or stay awake no matter how hard we tried and that time difference was huge. Likewise, when we wanted him to sleep and he was wide awake, he just wouldn't have it no matter what routines and sleep cues we tried. He did adjust on his own though after a few days, especially as we would be out and about and did not blackout the room or anything. Same when we came home - the first couple days were challenging but he acclimated back to his normal schedule. The 2 days or so it took to get there though were my own exhausting personal hell since I had already acclimated to each time change while my son was 12 hours off.

For switching from Standard to daylight savings though, oddly enough, he has no issues whatsoever. Getting up and going to bed at the new "time", he maintains his his biological clock to what the official clock has been set to but it's certainly not like he knows how to read a clock yet. We have no problems shifting him by an hour. We don't know how he would handle a moderate difference like 3 hours or 6 hours. Take your cues from your baby and know that your mileage may vary. If you know that you can shift schedules at home normally, you may be fine to change her biological clock to ship time. If you think that she'll be ok maintaining her current schedule and you get the bonus of "sleeping in" compared to at home, that sounds perfectly good to me too. You could also try gradually shift her schedule a couple days before you leave. Keep in mind your baby may also rebel against any of your efforts to change her internal clock despite your best efforts. Or in a new environment, she may be too interested in everything going on to sleep. My in-bed-at-8-clockwork-or-you-will-regret-it 14 month old was suddenly staying up well past 9 on our first cruise wanting to keep playing and exploring. We pretty much let him stay up later within reason if he wasn't clearly exhausted, let him sleep until he naturally woke in the morning, and put him to bed/nap at whatever time he showed he was tired, even if he protested. It wasn't the same as at home for us, but he went right back to normal when we got home. You know their tired/desperately-need-sleep cues. Whether her body is on PST, CST or EST, I tend to feel it'll just be misery for all if you don't let her sleep when she is exhausted.

It just occurred to me I have no idea what gender your baby is, I'm just using the generic "she". My apologies if your baby is a boy. :D

The I need a nap cues are ones we've gotten to know pretty well. I'll keep an eye on her---:)---and see how it goes. I think once we get one cruise under our belt, I may get a better understanding of how she may react---or maybe I won't since she seems to change. I do know one thing, I'm really looking forward to her reactions of her first cruise! She's on the verge of walking, so I'm getting excited to see if she'll be walking by the time we cruise at the end of April!

Thanks again for all of your great advice!

Can't help with the cruise part (our kids were older when we started cruising) but have traveled extensively with LOs so some thoughts:

1) board the plane as late as you can. If you are traveling with DH, send him ahead to stow carryons etc and then be one on the last ones to board with your LO. Sitting on the plane is no fun for anyone.

2) reagrding the time change-play it by ear depending on how your LO reacts. When our DS was 15 mos old we went to the west coast (from VA). Despite our attempts, he stayed on east coast time and was up at 4:30 every morning-his regular "at home" time of 6:30. I spent the whole week in the hotel lobby at 4:30 am with him and the night clerk. he also would fall asleep at 6:30pm-ish no matter how we tried to have him nap later in the day. Be prepared to adjust plans as needed so you don't have a super cranky LO.

Archived