Leave kids on ship during excursion

dishealth11

Have you or would you leave yours kids on ship during your excursion?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Have you or would you leave yours kids on ship during your excursion?

• Yes, without hesitation
    • Never in a million years
    • Have in the past, but never again
    • Not sure
    • Other

We took our 17 yr old daughter and 18 yr old son on our cruise with us and it was cool. We signed Tiffany up fo the teen passport program but she didn't like it. The teens were much younger so the director sent Tiff 2 extra passport coupon books for smoothies. We went on excursions with them by thier choice. And we all had fun. No eye rolling LOL.

When I said "dumping" I was referencing another poster's comment not being critical or judging someone for utilizing the children's programs. Sorry if seemed that way.

I have 7 kids- 4 of my own and 3 step-sons ranging 8 to 18. My oldest daughter is 18 and she chose not to come with us(weird) so she went to her biological father's for the week and my 2 youngest stayed happily with thier grandparents. The younger ones viewed this as a special vacation and the grandparents got to spend some quality time with the boys which was totally enjoyed by all. I do not feel I "dumped" my children anywhere. This cruise was a gift for the ones who went along- 18th b-day and high school graduation- for both. Tiff got hers a year early and they truly loved it.

So all the kids are happy well ok sad b/c vacation is over and so are we.

BTW I noticed that no kids were in the children's program on the Crown this trip.

Linda

MS NCL Crown 05/01/2005

I voted not in a million years. The reason being that my children wouldn't allow us to (we might have fun without them). My oldest will be 16 and cruising with us in December and has planned most of the excursions. My mother will also be along this time so the 2 younger kids will stay with their biodad that week. DH will be taking step-son diving while I entertain my mother. Besides we generally book our own excursions, not through the ship, and things can go wrong so I feel better knowing that if the ship would leave without us we are stuck together as a family.

To the poster who's daughter replaced her card, do you know if there is a way to make sure kid's can't replace card without parental consent?

OMG I'm sitting here just feeling sick that someone would leave their child with strangers and leave that ship to go have fun without them! I'm so glad that we took "family" vacations and never left our children with anyone that we didn't know for many years.

My fear is that one of these days I will watch some news report and see some heart broken parents on the news. They will be crying and unconsolable because Johnney disappeared on their cruise. He was left in the daycare on the ship and when the parents returned he "disappeared". No one knows what happened to him. A search of the ship didn't uncover him or worse, a search of the ship and his body was found somewhere where he shouldn't have been. Or Johnney was injured seriously and the dr. is waiting for the parents to return to give him authority to take care of Johnney. In the mean time little johnney succumbs to his injuries and dies. Now all the parties are poised and ready to sue the cruise line.

Folks remember these little people depend on you to care for them and be there with them until they are of age. If you are going to take them with you on trips make these trips for them! You and your husband will have years ahead of you to go on your own.

I hope I have not hurt anyone's feelings, but as you can see from my post above this subject stirs me up! Let the flaming begin!!!!

Well, you most certainly didn't hurt my feelings, just made me chuckle. Truth be told, you sound a bit paranoid. Okay, you sound A LOT paranoid. Did your children go to school? Did you ever take a vacation without them? Did they go to camp? Did they go on sleepovers? What's the difference? On a cruise ship they've got trained, educated counselors, doctors, nurses, etc. They're well looked after, calm down. That's quite a drama you've painted.:D

We've left our children a number of times on cruises. Once in Bermuda while we were shopping for china (little boys don't belong in china and crystal shops, and the shopkeepers were probably thrilled that we didn't drag them along).

Another time we left them in St. Thomas while we shopped, then another time on St. Kitts when they wanted to stay aboard with their friends.

Forgot to say the ages. The first cruise we left them onboard they were 7 and 10, 2nd time they were 10 and 13 and last time only the 14 year old stayed aboard. They've done this on 3 of their 7 cruises, so it's only when we go shopping or when they want to stay with friends. The last cruise had only 3 port days so they came on all the excursions with us, as did their frineds!

I enjoy reading every else's opinions - and sharing mine. I just think it's important that people know that not everyone who uses the kids club or babysitting services are "dumping".

I agree, I think a LOT of these posters (especially those who've never cruised with kids), don't realize that many times the kids PREFER to stay in the kids clubs...it's not dumping if the kids begged to stay there. Now my kids are older, but when they were younger, I had to drag them from the kids clubs they had so much fun.

I'm quite sure that what I thought was giving my children the type of vacation they enjoyed most was considered "dumping" by some sourpuss who didn't realize that as a stay at home mom I spent more time than most people do with my kids. Do they consider working moms who use daycare as "dumping their kids" too?:rolleyes:

Archived