How far in advance do you book your pre-cruise hotel?

AIMS312

We are going with 3 other couples on the Conquest in September. My parents happen to be one of the other couples and my mom is driving me crazy trying to hurry and book a hotel in New Orleans. She thinks that if we don't book something now, there won't be any rooms left. UGGHHH!! :D I keep trying to remind her that we are still 4 1/2 months out, that there isn't anything major happening that weekend in NO, and we may be able to find a better deal if we wait until a few weeks before we go.

When do you normally book your hotel?

ETA: Not sure if I should take this thread elsewhere?

Depends on whether or not I care where I stay. I am going on a 12/14/05 cruise and already booked the hotel because it will allow me to park free for a week and drive me to the port. The prices in FLL are not likely to be going to go down between now and December.

On the other hand, I'm sailing from NYC on 9/17 and may not book the hotel till the week before I go as I am driving and will grab something last minute in NJ, far from NYC.

If you don't care where you stay, there isn't much reason to hurry --- but do you REALLY know what's going on in NO that weekend, you might be surprised.

I like to be in total control of every aspect of our vacation and have everything lined up ASAP. Generally book our hotel through Priceline. This year we are going on the Conquest leaving from New Orleans around Halloween. Started bidding for a hotel 11 months out and received a precruise and postcruise hotel within 2 weeks or so of bidding. Now I am working on airfare which the prices are not so good at this point.

I just booked my hotel in Miami for a cruise in December. This hotel is known to book up early and my ship is sold out for the week and no way do I want to take a chance of a full hotel. The Marriott does not require a deposit, only a cc# on file to hold the room so money is changing hands now.

i bid on priceline last june for my cruise in may and got a 4* in vancouver for $50. i always get my hotel and flight as early as possible. our plane tickets have gone up over $160 each since i bought them from the airline last fall. an early start is my strategy.

For me it depends-but I usually go ahead and book the hotel when I book the cruise.

We are going on the Valor Jan 1, 2006 and I didn't book the hotel when I booked the cruise a couple of months ago. But about 2 weeks after I booked the cruise I discovered not only was the day before New Years Eve but also it was the weekend of the Orange Bowl. So needless to say I went ahead and booked our room at the Mariott for New Years Eve.

I would check if anything is going on in NOLA they weekend you leave (it will be football season) and if a lot is going on I would go ahead and book now.

I booked in March for a June 11th stay in NO. I booked at the Embassy Suites (1 block from cruise terminal) knowing that we could walk to the port and not have to hassle w/ a taxi for 6 people. I always search for low rates. When I find one I book it. I'll keep looking and when I find a cheaper one I'll cancel the first res and make a new one. For that reason and because I like to know exactly where I am staying I don't use priceline. I usually do pretty good this way.

I have booked a cancelable hotel for Jan already in San Padro. Alot of the good hotels are showing already booked solid. Check out New Orleans web site. If something is going on the week before or after book as soon as possible.

For our CC Valor cruise, we booked the day it opened up on Priceline (11 months out)... it was sold out within a couple of weeks... I'd rather book further out, use priceline when they still have inventory and get a great price!!! We'll be booking our hotel for the S&S in November I'm sure... :D

we're not going till October but I've already booked a hotel in Miami. I mainly booked it as "back up" as I"m trying to get a room through priceline, I've tried 5 wks now:( If worse come to worse I'll just keep the one I booked, after all it's just for one night and convienent

We've already reserved our hotel in Galveston for our January 2006 cruise. And reserved our rental cars, as well. If I were using Hotwire or PriceLine or some other pre-paid deal, I might wait awhile. But, I know I have my rooms ... I can always check and re-book if the prices drop ... and it's not costing me anything in the meantime.

--Heidi

As soon as we booked our cruise in February, we booked our hotel room. We did it for a couple of reasons. Wanted to make sure we got a good hotel and a good rate and we want to pre-pay as much as we can before the cruise. We also went ahead and booked our parking and paid for it at EZCRUISE Parking.

I specifically knew that I wanted to stay at the Sheraton Old San Juan for our upcoming Destiny cruise because it is across the street from the pier and we would not need to get in a taxi to get there. I booked it orginally back in October when it was still the Wydham. Once it switched over the rate dropped $40 and I called to rebook. I still keep checking other sites and theirs too, to see if I can get lower.

You may also want to check nola.com for events during your stay. Something is always going on in the city. Especially if there is a convention during your time because the convention center is next to the pier in New Orleans and the surrounding hotels will be BOOKED!

We've already reserved our hotel in Galveston for our January 2006 cruise. And reserved our rental cars, as well. If I were using Hotwire or PriceLine or some other pre-paid deal, I might wait awhile. But, I know I have my rooms ... I can always check and re-book if the prices drop ... and it's not costing me anything in the meantime.

--Heidi

I booked the Harbor House in Galveston for $79 months ago for Sept 2005 (booked through Wyndham). Soon after the rooms went to $200 plus. Several popular Galveston hotels won't book for less than a two night stay. So, I feel very lucky to have booked early. I always start looking about 330 days out - same for airfare. Southwest is the exception (6 months).

P.S. Heidi, I responded to your post about Enterprise Rental. I am booking that today. Was there a drop-off fee? - Steve

You won't find the Harbor House on Wyndham's website, but if you call them, they can book it for you. This far out you might get the lower rate. It is within walking distance of the pier.

Archived