Alaska inside passage round trip YVR - Canada Single or Multiple

This has been answered before but rules may change so need an updated answer, especially those who have recent experience.

I have a 10 year multiple US visa but currently don't have a valid canadian visa. So not sure whether to apply for a multiple or single entry visa. A multiple entry costs 2X as much and may valid only until my passport expiry which is almost one year from now.

So getting a single is more economical but here is my situation.

I'm entering Canada via Vancouver, where the cruise will start, it will sail the inside passage, Alaska so US territory, from there I plan to enter Yukon territory so back to Canada as a shore excursion, then go back to the ship in Alaska, then at the end of the cruise, it will enter again Canada via Vancouver.

Normally this clause from the website says single entry will do:

There are two exceptions: you can visit the United States or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon and return to Canada without getting a new visa, as long as you:

• return within the initial period authorized by the immigration officer or
  • have a valid visitor record, work permit, study permit, or a temporary resident permit (authorizing re-entry) and return within the initial period authorized by the officer.

Since Alaska is US territory, a single might do.

.. but this clause made it more confusing:

Cruise ship passengers, take note

It should be noted that if you are on a cruise ship which departs from the United States and enters international waters, you will need to either obtain a multiple-entry visa or apply for a new visa to re-enter Canada

I know I've read in this forum somewhere that someone has cruise my route using a single entry, but the underlined word above made me think again.

Is the inside passage considered international waters?

So what is needed then? Single or Multiple?

Here is the link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/visit/index.asp#trv

Kindly help. Thanks

I think the more sensible question to ask yourself is : "Is the potential saving of a Single vs. Multi-entry Visa worth the potential cost of being refused entry?"

The Inside Passage is mostly well within the territorial limits of Canada/US, but even if the planned route is strictly going to be from Canadian Territorial Waters directly into US and vice versa, you run the risk of detouring into international waters for a multitude of reasons or simply getting an immigration officer on return who is not fully aware of the rules/ships route/simply in a bad mood that day...

Get the multi-entry. Besides, Canada is awesome - you'll want to schedule another trip before your multi-entry visa expires anyway;)

The Inside Passage is both in Canada and the US, you are in Canada until you cross the AB line and then you are in US waters and visa-versa. It is my understanding that a single entry visa is adequate but I would urge you contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada or the nearest office of the Canadian Consulate to be absolutely clear on this.

Archived