traveling with a 4 year old

Sarpy1

Taking a cruise with our 4 year old grandson and have a couple questions on what others have done as far as the plane ride.

should we take his car seat on the plane or should we just use a booster seat? We plan on taking a stoller for him but not sure how to handle the car seat issue.

Thanks for all of your advice!

:)

A car seat to sit in the plane, or use once you arrive?

I would pack a booster seat for after if needed, but notihing for on the plane. With checked luggage at a premium, I would first see if the car seat can travel free. If not, a booster would work for me!

Car seats should fly "free" domestically. We haven't tried every airline, but haven't had an issue on AA, SWA, or even Delta.

I wouldn't think a 4YO in a car seat would fit well/comfortably in an airplane seat when you take away some of the space for the seat back, unless you're flying in first class. Have the parents flown with him to know?

Booster seats are not allowed on airplanes, at least during "taxi, take-off and landing" according to the FAA. You can check a booster seat for free also (on domestic flights.)

And don't forget the permission to travel documentation. ;)

Taking a cruise with our 4 year old grandson and have a couple questions on what others have done as far as the plane ride.

should we take his car seat on the plane or should we just use a booster seat? We plan on taking a stoller for him but not sure how to handle the car seat issue.

Thanks for all of your advice!

:)

It depends on how big your grandson is when travelling. If he is under 40lbs, then he will need a car seat at your desination. If he is over 40lbs and can sit properly in a seatbelt, then you can use a booster. As a previous poster said, only car seats can be used in-flight, otherwise you bring it as a piece of luggage (preferably carry-on to avoid damage). The reason is a booster is a 3 point seatbelt positioning device, which is useless when the aircraft seatbelt is a 2 point belt. I would hesitate to use a booster for the first time on vacation, as there is quite a bit of learning on the child's part on how to use a seatbelt properly. If you bring the car seat, you will need to know how to install it in a variety of situations. If you decide to bring the car seat, let me know and I can give you some tips and tricks (I'm a certified car seat technician in Ontario, Canada).

DS2 was 4yrs old on our last trip, he is still under 40lbs so we used his car seat on board the plane as well as in several ports where we used taxis and cars for transportation. At 4, they are able to sit safely in the lapbelt on the plane, but my guy does better in familiar situations, which the car seat provides. It also prevents the luggage people from damaging my car seat :)

DS1 (7 yrs) travels with a booster, he always brings it on board as a carry-on and we have never had anyone question us about it, even on fully-booked, peak holiday travel times.

We have flown US Air, Air Canada and West Jet, so these comments are reflective of our experiences.

We have been traveling with our children by air since they were infants. Their current ages are 4 & 6. I have never used a car seat or booster on any flight and have not had any problems or concerns. We always check their seats and/or boosters with the airline (no charge) to utilize at our destination. Imagine a longer than anticipated layover & the hassle of carting around a seat and holding a youngsters hand along with any carry-on luggage!

My DS isn't there yet, but my cousin highly recommends a CARES harness for her DD on planes. It fits over the back of the seat and straps the kid in better than just a seat belt but it small and compact and easier to travel with than a car seat.

Our carseat was a lifesaver when we had a five hour delay... Ds,then 3.5, napped in his in the airport... Until he doesn't fit, I won't travel without it...

I have to agree. I really don't see travelling with a car seat as a hassle, but that is definitely my perspective.

On our last cruise, DS2 fell asleep in the taxi from port to the airport, strapped into his car seat of course. I uninstalled the car seat, picked up the whole thing and carried him into the airport. We had another 5 hours to wait until our plane left and he slept another 2 hrs in his seat and was a much happier camper as a result :) I just wish I would have taken photos, we were too busy admiring him sleeping amongst the chaos of the airport!

As for mikesteg's comment about a 4yo taking up too much room in a car seat, DS2 was 4 on his last trip in a Britax Marathon, which is known to be one of the larger car seats. We were on WestJet, which has no first class, everyone sits in the same cabin and it is similar in size to economy on US Air or Air Canada. He fit fine. If you were concerned about size, then the Sunshine Kids Radian (now Diono) would be the seat of choice.

Archived