Norfolk Visit

Koivu

We're on the 05/01 sailing out of Norfolk on the Maasdam & have the (unexpected) chance to get there a couple of days early. Any suggestions on what to do in that part of the world on a pre-cruise Friday & Saturday? We were thinking of renting a car and touring the Outer Banks of North Carolina - any other ideas?

Thanks, Koivu

I'd spend the weekend in Williamsburg, spending Friday and Saturday nights in one of the colonial Inns right on the Colonial Williamsburg grounds, eating in the restored taverns and seeing and participating in life as it was in the 1700s. You can also go just a few miles and visit Yorktown and Jamestown. All the information you need is online- look under Colnial Williamsburg for the official site.

We've spent a lot of time in the Williamsburg and Tidewater areas when we lived in NC and many times since. This is a great area to visit. So is the Outer Banks, but nowhere near as interesting or as much fun as Williamsburg and the surrounding VA coastline.

I've never thought of the outer banks as a "touring" kind of place - more of a "let's spend a week at the beach."

Peaches' idea of Williamsburg is a good one. If you really felt ambitious, a 3-hour drive will get you to Washington, DC..

Williamsburg. Definitely. Eat at the Trellis.

Tour Nauticus, and the Wisconsin, before you board (right at the 'terminal').

Agree with Dave re: Outer Banks, but the Wright Brothers National Memorial is there. Awesome. Well worth a visit.

Have agreat visit and cruise!

Cheers

MarkB

Ok

When in Atlanta eat in the Underground.;)

Cheers

MarkB

:D Now I know you're kidding or haven't been to Atlanta in years. (There are no fine restaurants in the Underground and it NOT a place you would consider for dinner of any kind in Atlanta.) But hopefully they will visit Williamsburg for that weekend.

Campbells and Chownings are touristy and fun, for the "ye olde welsh rabbit' and 'Martha Washington's Apple Pye' foods. So, do one of those. But Trellis only pretends to be one of the best restaurants on the east coast. Death by Chocolate.!

Eat at Christiana Campbell's Tavern the first night (where George Washington ate) and Chownings Tavern the 2nd night. Those are 'authentic' Williamsburg. :D

I've got to agree with Mark - eat at one of these (preferrably Chownings) for the 'experience', but go to the Trellis for the food. Or, heck, drive a few hours to the Inn at Little Washington.... :cool:

Or better yet eat one night at the Williamsburg Inn. That is THE place to stay in W'burg and where we always stay for a special visit or occasion.

We have eaten at the Trellis and try to eat there each visit at least for lunch and then have dinner at the W'burg Inn at least one night depending on how long we are staying. We will go to Christiana Campbell's one night for the seafood and atmosphere. If the grandchildren are with us we will make one lunch or dinner Chowning's also.

What's important is that every who has posted seems to agree Williamsburg would be a great weekend pre-cruise stop.

time to update your rolodex....Marcel has not owned the Trellis for some time and as such it is not the same place that it used to be, which is not negative or positive, just a change.

But I totally agree that Wmsbg. is excellent for pre/post cruise, especially if one is flying in from a long distance. Rd

time to update your rolodex....Marcel has not owned the Trellis for some time and as such it is not the same place that it used to be, which is not negative or positive, just a change.

But I totally agree that Wmsbg. is excellent for pre/post cruise, especially if one is flying in from a long distance. Rd

When I spoke with Marcel in November at his 25th Anniversary open house, he did not mention that. Believe he and John are still co-owners, as indicated by the letters and flyers I get. Marcel did leave the kitchen a few years ago (but still "consults") to spend more time at Ganache Hill and publishing.

Concur that it has changed over time, as have we all.

Cheers

MarkB

I've got to agree with Mark - eat at one of these (preferrably Chownings) for the 'experience', but go to the Trellis for the food. Or, heck, drive a few hours to the Inn at Little Washington.... :cool:

Agree with Dave on Chownings and the Williamsburg experience. Also want to second his recommendation regarding the Inn at Little Washington. If you could work the Inn at Little Washington into your schedule, you'll enjoy a meal, if it is like ours was, that will be well within your all-time top ten meals. Prehaps fly into Dulles, rent a car, spend a night at Inn at Little Washington, then drive down to Norfolk.

If you like shopping, the MacArthur Center Mall in downtown Norfolk is HUGE!!!! If you like nightlife, go to Waterside on Friday or Saturday night. They have Jillians (arcade games, drinks, dinner), The Comedy Zone (which is really good), Have a Nice Day Cafe, Dixie's Tavern and Bar Norfolk (Night club) there is a lot to do in Waterside. Waterside is actually right down the street from the port. Hope this helps - Happy sailing

Archived