Cruise from L.A. to Hawaii return - weather - how cool is "cool"

crazy4elton

We'll be sailing on a 14 night Princess cruise to Hawaii later this month. I've read numerous posts from people who have sailed to Hawaii from L.A., round trip, and all have commented about the "cool" weather the first two days out, and the last two days back, caused by the ocean currents. I'd like to get a sense of what to expect. I'm disappointed that 4 days of my precious vacation will not be warm. How cool is "cool" ? Is it comfortable enough to be outside on deck, but not warm enough to swim? Or does the cold temperature drive people indoors? Should I expect temperatures in the 60's? or 50's? I know that weather is a fickle thing, and certainly not an exact science, but I'm curious. I've yet to see a posting saying that those 4 days are balmy and warm. Thank you to all who may be able to answer my question.

Even in the summer the ocean off the CA cost is cool. People go to the beach to cool off and ware wet suits when surfing. I live on the coast and don't have AC and maybe once or twice a year does the temp get above 85 during the day and then down to the low 70s or high 60s at night. But, ten miles inland it gets hot.

The ocean temp is about 60 degrees in April and maybe a high of 65 at its hottest.

So, it will be cool for the first two days.

The air temperature and the current are two different things. You could still get warm weather. We actually did on our return in January 2006 due to a post-storm heat spell on the west coast. It was about 80s in Ensenada and Los Angeles (and because of the storm a few days before, there was still snow in the San Bernandino mountains that we can see on our way home). On our last cruise, it was in the 50s in Ensenada and in Los Angeles -- that was in early January 2011. So figure out of two cruises, one had people sunning the last few days and one didn't. But people were out on the deck on January 1 watching the Rose Bowl game on the MUTS screen, but probably not too many were in bathing suits.

With this strange weather this country's been having, I wouldn't be surprised by any type of weather condition. Check the various weather websites before you leave, but also be prepared. It could be in the 60s or in the 90s when you get back to San Pedro. Of course, if you're staying pre or post cruise in SP, it'll be milder than Los Angeles temps. But for the ship, you may be able to use the outdoors pool, but at least on the Golden and Sapphire, there is a covered pool.

Well in spring/fall the temperature in LA can get up to 70-80 degrees, but will fall down to the 60s at night. So over the ocean it'll be a good 10 degrees cooler probably, and windier. In LA, folks will toss on a jacket, but if you're from Alaska, you probably will think 60s or even 50s is great.

Anyway, bring a jacket for mornings and evenings, since the coastal weather in california can really change from week to week (or check your weather forecast before you arrive).

I have sailed in Oct (6) Feb (1) and I never wore anything more than a S. S. the first 2 days out and the last back. That is with a strong wind. It's not bad.

Archived