North Shore Day Trip

jmk242

Does anybody have any recommendations for things to do/see at the North Shore on Oahu? I don't want to rent a car, so any tours or buses that leave from Waikiki Beach would work. Thanks!

We looked for tours to the North Shore but couldn't find any that appealed to us. We had heard that driving from Waikiki could be problematic, but we gave in and rented a car. We are so happy we did as the drive was very easy. We stopped for breakfast along the way, went to Matsumotos for shave ice, stopped a few time at the roadside parking lots to watched the surfers on the large waves, saw sea turtles on the beach, and had lunch at Turtle Bay. Overall it was a great day.

We also rented a car....it is an easy drive...no problems...did it twice while we were there and loved it - going back next year. We did a lot of the same things that the poster above mentioned...along with Byodo-In, ate at Giovanni's Shrimp Truck, went to Chinaman's Hat, Ted's Bakery, looked for sea turtles but didn't see any....it was a very relaxing time.

We also rented a car....it is an easy drive...no problems...did it twice while we were there and loved it - going back next year. We did a lot of the same things that the poster above mentioned...along with Byodo-In, ate at Giovanni's Shrimp Truck, went to Chinaman's Hat, Ted's Bakery, looked for sea turtles but didn't see any....it was a very relaxing time.

Shannon, thanks for all your useful information :D

We're planning on renting a car......................but I think I have too much planned..........starting at Dole, drive No.Shore and beaches (not planning on swimming)..........shrimp truck for lunch, PCC for the afternoon only (we're doing a luau on Maui) and hopefully have time to stop at Chinaman's hat and Byodo temple on the circle back to Waikiki. Does it sound like too much ? :eek:

Shannon, thanks for all your useful information :D

We're planning on renting a car......................but I think I have too much planned..........starting at Dole, drive No.Shore and beaches (not planning on swimming)..........shrimp truck for lunch, PCC for the afternoon only (we're doing a luau on Maui) and hopefully have time to stop at Chinaman's hat and Byodo temple on the circle back to Waikiki. Does it sound like too much ? :eek:

It can be done, but depends on how long you plan to stay at PCC and when you plan to leave. Being closer to the equator, Hawaii doesn't have long summer nights, so you'd want to leave enough time to drive down the east coast to see the sights and stop at Byodo-in Temple, which closes at 5 pm.

Otherwise, it is a very busy day, but can be done.

beachchick

It can be done, but depends on how long you plan to stay at PCC and when you plan to leave. Being closer to the equator, Hawaii doesn't have long summer nights, so you'd want to leave enough time to drive down the east coast to see the sights and stop at Byodo-in Temple, which closes at 5 pm.

Otherwise, it is a very busy day, but can be done.

beachchick

We were planning to get there when it opens............maybe stay 3-4 hrs........so guess that would be cuttingit close. Thanks for the input!

Does anybody have any recommendations for things to do/see at the North Shore on Oahu? I don't want to rent a car, so any tours or buses that leave from Waikiki Beach would work. Thanks!

I've been to Oahu several times and have had a car at my disposal and have rented one for my cruise in January. May I make a suggestion?

Drive around the island counter-clockwise. Start at the east coast, go up past Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, Halona Blowhole, and through a few towns along the way. You'll also pass Chinaman's Hat at Kualoa Regional Park, and then PCC.

Once you're done there, you can continue along the Kamehameha Highway to the Waialua Sugar Mill before getting to Turtle Bay Resort and Sunset Beach just a few miles away.

From there you'll pass Waimea Bay and into the town of Haleiwa, where there are some shops, shaved ice, and shrimp trucks. Once you pass through this town, your next stop would be the Dole Pineapple Plantation. About a 20-30 minute drive from Haleiwa.

From there you're not too far from Honolulu (20 minutes or so). If you leave Waikiki by 8 AM and make the stops you want to, you could be at PCC by 9 and do the rest of the route in 2 to 3 hours.

Just a suggestion, but plan on doing this exact route in January.

Have a great trip.

I've been to Oahu several times and have had a car at my disposal and have rented one for my cruise in January. May I make a suggestion?

Drive around the island counter-clockwise. Start at the east coast, go up past Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay, Halona Blowhole, and through a few towns along the way. You'll also pass Chinaman's Hat at Kualoa Regional Park, and then PCC.

Once you're done there, you can continue along the Kamehameha Highway to the Waialua Sugar Mill before getting to Turtle Bay Resort and Sunset Beach just a few miles away.

From there you'll pass Waimea Bay and into the town of Haleiwa, where there are some shops, shaved ice, and shrimp trucks. Once you pass through this town, your next stop would be the Dole Pineapple Plantation. About a 20-30 minute drive from Haleiwa.

From there you're not too far from Honolulu (20 minutes or so). If you leave Waikiki by 8 AM and make the stops you want to, you could be at PCC by 9 and do the rest of the route in 2 to 3 hours.

Just a suggestion, but plan on doing this exact route in January.

Have a great trip.

Sounds like a plan but I thought PCC doesn't open until Noon............am I incorrect?

I recommend Roberts Tours. Just Google "Roberts Hawaii" and look for the Grand Circle Island tour on Oahu. They only charge about $50, which is half of what other companies will charge for a full day, circle the island tour. I have taken Roberts tours and they are very good. They pick up at every major hotel on Waikiki.

Sounds like a plan but I thought PCC doesn't open until Noon............am I incorrect?

Yep...You are correct. Infact, checking their website the Gift shop and upfront venues open at 11:45. The villages open at 12:05.

Archived