Things to do in Port Canaveral OTHER than Disney

govgurl

Greetings cruisers!

I'm looking forward to several days of leisure with two girlfriends on the Carnival Pride in November. We'll be making a stop in Port Canaveral and will have a fairly lengthy day, does anyone have suggestions for things to do that don't involve taking the cruise excursion to DisneyWorld?

We love beaches, and I was thinking we might try to go to Jetty Park. But I wasn't sure of the best way to get there from the ship (and how much it would cost to get there), nor could I find the entrance fee for people who are just walking in, versus driving? Any info much appreciated.

Thanks!

Greetings cruisers!

I'm looking forward to several days of leisure with two girlfriends on the Carnival Pride in November. We'll be making a stop in Port Canaveral and will have a fairly lengthy day, does anyone have suggestions for things to do that don't involve taking the cruise excursion to DisneyWorld?

We love beaches, and I was thinking we might try to go to Jetty Park. But I wasn't sure of the best way to get there from the ship (and how much it would cost to get there), nor could I find the entrance fee for people who are just walking in, versus driving? Any info much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello there! There is plenty of things to do here that do not involve driving to Orlando for. Jetty Park is a nice beach, but has an entrance fee (free if you walk in) I have camped there on several occasions and love to watch the cruise ships pull out. The fee for Jetty Park is $10 for cars. Another option would be rent a car and drive down A1A to some of the beaches near the Patrick Air Force Base. My personal favorite is called Tables beach, which has a snow cone stand, restrooms and showers.

Another thing that may be interesting is the Kennedy Space Center Visitor complex. You can get a tour of the place but it will cost as much as going to Disney World once you add other expenses.

A cheaper alternative is to try the Tree Top Trek at the Brevard Zoo, which is a ropes course and zip line (only 30 minutes from the port) The zoo itself is worth checking out (I live five minutes away so I have a pass)

What ever you choose to do, you are going to have fun here!

Greetings cruisers!

Thanks!

Jetty Park would be the closest beach and a taxi should be in the $10 or less range. Park admission is free if you walk in, have a taxi drop you at the entrance and give you a number to call for pick up at the entrance to take you back to the ship.

Jetty Park would be the closest beach and a taxi should be in the $10 or less range. Park admission is free if you walk in, have a taxi drop you at the entrance and give you a number to call for pick up at the entrance to take you back to the ship.

Make sure if you do go to jetty park to get dropped off near the beach, as it is a very long walk from the front gate to the beach!

You might look into whether Ron Jon's Cafe Caribe resort has day packages. They are right beside Jetty Park, and have the typical resort amenities - a pool, waterslide, lazy river, bar and restaurant, as well as the beach.

You might look into whether Ron Jon's Cafe Caribe resort has day packages. They are right beside Jetty Park, and have the typical resort amenities - a pool, waterslide, lazy river, bar and restaurant, as well as the beach.

I do not think they have day packages, you have to do a timeshare talk for something like that, but I doubt they would notice if you just walked in and enjoyed the resort.

Highly recommend the Brevard Zoo. Loved our day there. We've also done a short kayaking excursion through the Thousand Islands in Cocoa Beach. We saw manatees and lots of birds...I'd love to do it again!

Highly recommend the Brevard Zoo. Loved our day there. We've also done a short kayaking excursion through the Thousand Islands in Cocoa Beach. We saw manatees and lots of birds...I'd love to do it again!

The Brevard Zoo is worth it! Get there early though as parking runs out quickly and you will have to park on the access road, which is a long walk to the entrance! (I am a bit biased toward the zoo as my friends volunteer and work at the zoo. Also my mother helped start the zoo school program there.) There is some very good kayaking around here also.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone think there's enough time to enjoy Sea World while in port? We'll be on the Gem in September 2013 (I know...thinking way ahead) and I'm trying to find something fun for the kids (10 & 8 at the time of sailing) to do instead of just staying on the ship. I really don't want to rent a car or just go to a beach...any ideas would be helpful!:o

Renee'

Not enough time to really enjoy it. You can spend 2 days easy at Sea World. I would not even attempt to go out to Sea World while in port. Honestly, that is just too far from the ship for me to even chance.

We're departing from there in July. What's a good place to eat the night before? I saw heard about Seafood Atlantic, but any other suggestions would be great! Thanks :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Any Place along A1A is good. You might want to drive into Cocoa or Satellite Beach as they may have more places to eat. Grills, Coconuts, and Fishlips are all good places I hear that are close to the port. It all depends where you are staying. The only place I have been to is Grills (The one in Melbourne, not at the port)

Not enough time to really enjoy it. You can spend 2 days easy at Sea World. I would not even attempt to go out to Sea World while in port. Honestly, that is just too far from the ship for me to even chance.

This would be with a ship excursion so I'm not worried about getting back on time. But if it takes 2 days to see it all, then I guess I'm not interested! I just wish there was something else to do in the area that didn't involve a beach!

Thanks for your advice!!

Archived