Reflection or Oasis of the Seas

Luv1204

Hi, We are taking our children 6, and 10 on their first cruise in the beginning of December. I am up in the air between the new Celeberity Reflection and the RCCL Allure/Oasis of the Seas. We have only cruised a few times but that was before we had kids. Our typical family vacations have been in the Caribbaen at nicer hotels. From everything we I read the Reflection looks like it is right up our alley, Beautiful, Great Food & Service and quiet. The Oasis Looks beautiful, most likely not excellent food but non stop fun. I want our children to have a positve fun experience of a lifetime on their first cruise, they are not ones to use the kids clubs when we go away, we always hang together. I don't want them to be bored, but I do enjoy more upscale when away. I also do not love a mob scene at a pool but I guess if I want to take a cruise no matter what line I have to expect a more crowded pool. The problem is I want the best of both worlds. What should I do. Thanks in Advance!

Luv1204- Your family sounds very similar to mine, although my kids are a bit older (now 10 and 16), however we have been on the Oasis back in February 2010 when it first came out, and then did the Solstice February 2011 so I have real experience with both. (Reflection is basically the same as Solstice with some minor modifications which I think are for the better, but basically the same ship.)

Each ship has its advantages and disadvantages (from real experience) as I am sure many will agree. But the fact that after being on both, we have booked the Reflection also for our next cruise I guess tells the bottom line.

Oasis was my kid's first experience cruising. It honestly was fantastic. Shows were better than Celebrity (higher quality, better facilities, more options), evenings were more lively, pools were less crowded even on a full ship (proportionately more pools and more space), more entertainment options during the day, and an engineering masterpiece what they did with the layout. Food, staterooms and service I found to be equal on both ships.

Having said that, my kids never used the Kids Clubs, never played miniature golf and never used the Wave Riders. My son did the Zip line once. Like your's, we mostly enjoyed sitting by the pool and hanging out as a family all day. So a lot of the benefits of the Oasis were not as important to us.

For that kind of vacation, we find the Solstice class ships to be a better balance of size and amenities. It is just easier to get around and feels more intimate. Also, the pool deck on the Solstice was much more cruise-like in that the design of the Oasis pool deck is recessed in a lot of places like a stadium and you lose a lot of connection to the ocean passing you by. The Solstice class is much more traditional in layout and you feel like you are on a cruise more. Although my kids did enjoy the kid's pool area at times on the Oasis with the water toys and showers, etc.

On the Oasis, it was not uncommon to get separated from each other for long periods of time while we each wandered around trying to find the others. Too many places to be and too long to get back and forth. Even if you make a plan to be at a certain spot at a certain time, you people always seem to get sidetracked (and the iPhone things we rented did not work too well on the Oasis). On the Solstice, that was not an issue. We were usually at the pool, Aqua Spa Cafe or grabbing something in the Oceanview Cafe.

Also on the Oasis the shows had to be more planned because they would sell out. You needed to reserve which nights you would see which shows and at what time. On Celebrity, it is more old-fashioned in that you wander in to see what you want each night or not. No reservations. But the Oasis shows were absolutely fantastic! First rate.

Honestly, both cruises were fantastic and my family would be thrilled on either one. I'm giving you the highlights of the differences here. But for us, especially considering the Oasis seems to cost more, why pay for things we don't use. Also, bottom line is after both, we chose the Reflection rather than the Oasis/Allure again.

Craig, Thank you so much for all the first hand information. Your family does sound like ours. Nice to know we are not alone:) It sounds like you had fun on both but give the edge to Celebrity. I guess either way we go it would be a nice family week together.

Definitely the Oasis!! You will not be disappointed!! The kids will love it -- there's so much to do. The kids' club is great. And, don't write off the food. We've always liked the food on RCCL. And, if you want more upscale, then book the specialty restaurants. There are a few of them on the Oasis.

Hi, We are taking our children 6, and 10 on their first cruise in the beginning of December. I am up in the air between the new Celeberity Reflection and the RCCL Allure/Oasis of the Seas. We have only cruised a few times but that was before we had kids. Our typical family vacations have been in the Caribbaen at nicer hotels. From everything we I read the Reflection looks like it is right up our alley, Beautiful, Great Food & Service and quiet. The Oasis Looks beautiful, most likely not excellent food but non stop fun. I want our children to have a positve fun experience of a lifetime on their first cruise, they are not ones to use the kids clubs when we go away, we always hang together. I don't want them to be bored, but I do enjoy more upscale when away. I also do not love a mob scene at a pool but I guess if I want to take a cruise no matter what line I have to expect a more crowded pool. The problem is I want the best of both worlds. What should I do. Thanks in Advance!

With kids definately oasis, it is so much more kid friendly.

I guess by looking at the responses I should definately lean towards the Oasis. Is the food in the MDR good though, I know it probably wont compare to Celebrity from what I hear but on vacations one of the things we look forward to is dining?

RCI budgets slightly less money per/person for food than Celebrity, but the difference in food quality is not dramatic. Oasis and Allure have so many different restaurants (I believe 24 total) that you will definitely find food you like even if you end up not being happy with the MDR.

I would vote NOT Reflection if you have kids that age. I was just on the Silhouette and your kids would not enjoy the pools. They had the solarium pool that was 18 and over at all times. Then they had an outdoor pool that was about 5 feet deep that was 16 and over only. The only all ages pool was about 2 and a half feet deep. My 4 year olds loved it, as they could stand, but I can't imagine anyone else older than that would enjoy it. There was a mom there complaining about her 10 and 12 year old boys who are on a swim team that got kicked out of the 5 foot pool. All they wanted to do was to swim laps. There was very rarely anyone in the adult pool. My wife wanted to complain to someone about this and I wouldn't let her. I explained to her that this is what makes Celebrity more attractive to the older crowd and that they don't cater much to families. I doubt if I will go on a Celebrity ship again with my kids, but if it were just me and my wife, it would probably be on the top of my list because of these rules.

Wow, just about everyone is saying Oasis with the kids. I kind of figured that but I just didn't want to book without being informed by the people who know. It looks like Oasis it is this time. I am sure in the future when the kids are alittle older or if we decide to cruise without the kids we will try Celebrity. Thanks again Everyone!

Wow, just about everyone is saying Oasis with the kids. I kind of figured that but I just didn't want to book without being informed by the people who know. It looks like Oasis it is this time. I am sure in the future when the kids are alittle older or if we decide to cruise without the kids we will try Celebrity. Thanks again Everyone!

Do us all a favor and come back on after your cruise and tell us what you think about Oasis and how your children enjoyed it.

Have a great time.

You're going to love it. I have yet to find another ship other than the Allure that can match the level of entertainment that these two ships offer. Also to date they have felt the least crowded of any ship that I have cruised. The embarkation/debarkation process the best ever. Between the two ships, I have cruised them a total of six times. :)

I definitely will post a report of the experience of not only how the kids liked it but how we liked it too:)

Just watched a great video of the Oasis of the Seas on the Smithsonian website last night. http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/site/sn/home.do

Then look for the full length video on the ship.

Please watch it. Amazing ship.

Just watched a great video of the Oasis of the Seas on the Smithsonian website last night. http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/site/sn/home.do

Then look for the full length video on the ship.

Please watch it. Amazing ship.

Thanks so much for the link... I sailed on her but enjoyed every minute of this film...:p

I love both RCCL and X... just two different experiences

CC

We are definately loyal Celebrity cruisers but tried the Oasis last May. If we had children we would go with the Oasis hands down. There is so much for kids to do it's just fantastic. For us older adults it was overwhelming. We prefer the quiet of the Celebrity ships. But I think your family will have a blast on the Oasis and especially on the islands/excursions they visit. Have a wonderful time!

Thanks so much for the link... I sailed on her but enjoyed every minute of this film...:p

I love both RCCL and X... just two different experiences

CC

Exactly right. DW and I are thinking about booking a cruise on either the Oasis or Allure sometime next year just to see the excitement. But we are really Celebrity type people who want to cruise to relax and meet interesting people.

It is kind of like when we go to a major city. Love to visit for a few days but sure don't think we would enjoy living there all the time.

Exactly right. DW and I are thinking about booking a cruise on either the Oasis or Allure sometime next year just to see the excitement. But we are really Celebrity type people who want to cruise to relax and meet interesting people.

It is kind of like when we go to a major city. Love to visit for a few days but sure don't think we would enjoy living there all the time.

I ask my husband (who is still in corporate america) do you want an more upscale chill cruise or do you want a more active cruise with all the bells and whistle... then based on his answer I start to plan.

Unfortunately when I went on the Oasis he couldn't get off work so I took my 80 yr old mom (who has cruised for many yrs) and she loved it too...:p

So I would do the Allure with him so he can experience the ship which I think as an Engineer he would appreciate and probably go back to X or Princess....

Archived