Need Some Opinions on Balcony Upgrade vs. OV

CurlyCali8

Hola! So I'm driving myself a little nuts, trying to decide if I should upgrade our OV cabin on the Splendor to a balcony. Since booking in late January, the price of our cruise has dropped $320, and I've called each time & gotten each price drop. Looking now, I see that by paying $240, we can go from a 6C OV to an 8A balcony. (So, basically spending most of the price drops I've gained.)

First time cruisers...so, is it worth it? I'm a little worried b/c an 8a is a higher deck, and DH is very prone to motion sickness. On the other hand...he wakes up VERY early everyday, (like, 6 a.m. is sleeping in), so I know he'll be up & about. Maybe he'd enjoy the alone-time on the balcony while we're all still asleep. We're quiet people, not party types, so it's not like we'll be out every night. (And my kids can't take too many late nights in a row!) ;)

On the OTHER hand...I'm pretty happy with our mid-ship Main deck OV cabin right now. Worried that if I go up to a basic balcony, we'll get a dud room with lots of noise around or above/below.

SO, as you can tell...I'm really waffling back & forth on all this. :confused: Fares keep dropping, but I'm not ES and final payment is less than a month from now. What do you think...keep my OV, go for the balcony, or wait for an upsell call that may never come?? :p

We like balconies but it is not a must have.

In our cruising life we have had insides, ov's and balconies and all good.

For 240 since your ahead of the game would probably take the balcony.

I agree with golfadj. You'll still be ahead so I would go with the balcony. I'm an early riser too and looking forward to coffee on my balcony first thing in the morning.

I am not 100% sold on balconies. We tried for the 1st time on our last cruise and really enjoyed it, however there was a few draw backs. 1st, we, like many, cruise on a budget so a balcony means giving up something else. 2nd, we found that we did not enjoy or utilize the rest of the ship as much because we spent more time in our room on the balcony.

With that said, DH says he does not want to cruise without a balcony again. We have 2 small kids and it was wonderful to put them to bed or down for a nap and then have a place to hang out. So at least for now, we will be doing balconies, even if it means driving instead of flying;)

Oh but as to the other factor, I am really sensitive to noise and if it meant a room near excessive noise I would rather forgo the balcony for comfortable sleep. Perhaps you could see which room you would be offered and check its location first.

We have been on 3 cruises, and always took a balcony. We love it. It is so nice when you are coming into a port and have your private view from your own balcony. Try it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Just make sure the view is not obstructed, then you'll be disappointed.

have fun

Thank you all for your input...I was afraid you all were gonna tip me toward wanting the balcony, and you sure have! ;)

Question: if I wait a bit longer to watch prices, am I still allowed to upgrade after final payment? And is an 8A (lowest balcony category) really that much worse off than a higher balcony category?

Kelly,

I would also recommend the balcony.

Did you book early saver? If you did, you should be able to move even after making the final payment, but you would not be able to if you booked other rates.

I've noticed on most ships the difference between an 8a-8c or even 8d is usually just location. The rooms will look exactly the same and so will the balconies. Like I said, most, not all. I don't tend to worry about if it's an 8a verses an 8c I just pick a location and a deck I like. For example, this cruise I booked an 8b not because I cared that it was a higher category because I know the rooms are typically the same, but I wanted a cabin that had cabins above and below it.

So that was my long winded answer to say no, an 8A is not "worse" than a higher category.

Hope this helps you.

Did you book early saver? If you did, you should be able to move even after making the final payment, but you would not be able to if you booked other rates.

No, I'm not booked ES. So final payment is final, period? Good to know.

Another vote for the balcony. You didn't mention the ages of the kids but I'm sure they'd enjoy it too.

You were going to spend the money on the cabin anyway.

Hope you have a great cruise! :)

DD is 10 & DS will be 7 1/2. Old enough that I'm not (too) paranoid they'd decide to climb and fall over. Although lord knows they still make plenty of bad decisions! :p

Yes, that's how I'm selling DH on the balcony...we still would've paid more for our OV back in Jan. (He's skeptical, and assumed balconies were standing room only. A little more inclined now that he knows there are chairs!)

No, I'm not booked ES. So final payment is final, period? Good to know.

It isn't. You can upgrade for cash right up to the sailing date regardless of method booked. Carnival will always be happy to take your money.

I agree with golfadj. We have cruised interior, oceanview, and balcony and loved every trip. I have a friend who cruised with us back in 08. He had never cruised before, and so his first cruise was a 7-day balcony to E. Caribbean, and so he refuses to do anything less than that. My first cruise was a 3-day to the Bahamas, oceanview (then took the same trip with an interior room a couple of years later). I think that made me easy to please, and made me appreciate the quick trips without a fancy room. I'm still determined to go back to a balcony/7-day/E. Caribbean on my cruise next year though. ;)

Just got off the phone with my PVP and....I DID IT! SO EXCITED! :D:D:D

It's an 8A on the Upper, and it's forward, but fairly close to midship. And like I said above, also happy that the fare dropped another $40 overnight. PVP said it was likely I'll be able to upgrade a bit more or get another price drop in the next few weeks before final payment.

Thank you all for helping "tip me over" into the balcony choice! :)

Thank you all for your input...I was afraid you all were gonna tip me toward wanting the balcony, and you sure have! ;)

Question: if I wait a bit longer to watch prices, am I still allowed to upgrade after final payment? And is an 8A (lowest balcony category) really that much worse off than a higher balcony category?

I would also take the balcony - particularly since the cruise is in July.

I am just a couple weeks off Splendor and it was too chilly to use the balcony most of the time and felt it wasn't worth the extra cost (a first for me as I usually spend 2-3 hours a day out there).

8A is the Upper Deck which is above several venues. I was in 6225, which is pretty far forward over the corner of the theater. I could hear the theater in the hallway, but not at all in the cabin (except very very slightly in the bathroom). I would not hesitate to book an 8A again.

I would also take the balcony - particularly since the cruise is in July.

I am just a couple weeks off Splendor and it was too chilly to use the balcony most of the time and felt it wasn't worth the extra cost (a first for me as I usually spend 2-3 hours a day out there).

8A is the Upper Deck which is above several venues. I was in 6225, which is pretty far forward over the corner of the theater. I could hear the theater in the hallway, but not at all in the cabin (except very very slightly in the bathroom). I would not hesitate to book an 8A again.

Thanks, Cdamion! I LOVED your Splendor review and all your great photos. You actually have me torn now on another decision, as your great shots of the Isla Cuale area in PV are tempting me to visit the area, rather than booking the excursion I've been looking at.

Archived