North Atlantic Chart

Peter Jones

Yes, the route as you cross the atlantic is shown on your TV using an actual chart that shows the underwater features e.g. Grand Banks, and the ship's position, direction and speed. It is similar to those on an aircraft but appears to be a camera placed above an actual chart (probably on the bridge). Therefore it's possibly not necessary to plot the trip on your own chart while on board. And anyway, there will be so much more to do !!

You can order British Admiralty charts for anywhere in the world from Maryland Nautical in the USA (www.mdnautical.com). Regardless where you obtain it, the chart you want is #BA-4011 "North Atlantic Ocean-Northern Part". I have one of these, and it is identical to the one that is posted aboard QE2. Probably the same as used aboard QM2 as well. It is a wonderful thing to have !!!

Tom:)

Thanks for the replies. I have purchased chart 4011. I plan to leave it at home and take GPS readings as we cross and update the chart when I get home. I may then get it framed and mount it on the wall to remember the trip by.

Peter

Thanks for the replies. I have purchased chart 4011. I plan to leave it at home and take GPS readings as we cross and update the chart when I get home. I may then get it framed and mount it on the wall to remember the trip by.

Peter

Great, glad to hear you got that chart. It's magnificent !!

Just an idea for you, however: I took my chart along with me last April (April 2004) aboard QE2 for her westbound crossing to NY, and had Captain McNaught sign it. The Captain, in turn, had one of the officers mark our course on the chart and write "QE2 Transatlantic Crossing April 2004"....

As you might imagine, it is now, one of my dearest possessions !!

Tom:) :)

Archived