Boston for a night

mgriffin3

We will be flying into Logan on the 6th of October for one night prior to a cruise. After much searching (everything is so expensive) we settled on the John Jeffries House I believe in Beacon Hill? We won't be in until 2:10, so I'm wondering what sort of interesting things will we be able to check out that are relatively close to Beacon Hill? We're really looking for historical type sights. I understand we will be near a red line station. Can we can the train to see the sights on the freedom trail? I've looked at the maps, but it's very hard to judge distance.

Thanks,

Mark

Beacon Hill is in itself a historic district of Boston. You may enjoy walking the neighborhood at your doorstep - http://www.beaconhillonline.com/tour.htm Everything is relatively close and very walkable.

You can walk this tour in reverse from your hotel to get to the Park St. area, which is the start of the Freedom Trail. Everything on the "trail" (not a real trail - just a suggested walking route) is very close except for the part of the walk out to Charlestown and the Constitution. If seeing the Constitution is a priority, I would take a cab there first before it closes (5 pm ??). There is an MBTA water taxi from the Constitution to Long Wharf for $1.70. Long Wharf is at the end of Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market and you have the option of walking a loop along the waterfront into the North End and coming back to the market area. You can then walk the trail backwards to Park St and on to your hotel or take the Red Line 1 stop from Park St to Charles/MGH.

If you bypass the area closest to your hotel, you can walk it the following morning before going to the port. You will find lots of restaurant choices near Faneuil Hall and the North End.

Given the amount of time you'll have, as the previous poster suggested, I'd get off at Park Street and start there if you want to do the Freedom Trail (http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/). Some of the stops on the trail are less exciting and less to see than others. I would go up though the North End (Paul Revere/Old North) and finish there. There are a lot of great Italian and seafood restaurants in that neighborhood and it's fun to walk through. Hope this is useful. :)

The Boston Public Garden should be a five minute walk away. perhaps a ride on the Swan Boats if you hurry. Cheers restaurant and pub is a short walk away. The USS Constitution ( Old Ironsides ) is a short cab ride away. The Tea Party museum and boat is a 15 minute walk away. The location of the "Boston Massacre and Crispus Attucks is also a short walk away. There is plenty more locally but your time is limited. Have fun!

When you get back, could you post a review of the John Jeffries House? I haven't seen any feedback on this hotel for a long time. Boston hotel prices have been really high and the JJH is sometimes one of the only reasonable options out there. The location is great. My impression is that it's more like a B&B - not a full service hotel with amenities, but if it's safe and clean and the beds are comfortable, who really cares? I believe the hotel was originally set up to offer reasonable accommodations for folks who need to be close to Mass Gen Hosp.

Yes I'll report back when we return. It does seem to be more of a B&B feel to it, but it was the cheapest of anything that we could find unless we wanted to stay out by the airport.

From reading the website it appears to have been housing for the nursing staff at at hospital at one point? It seems to get really good reviews on tripadvisor, so we'll give it a go.

mark

We will be flying into Logan on the 6th of October for one night prior to a cruise. After much searching (everything is so expensive) we settled on the John Jeffries House I believe in Beacon Hill? We won't be in until 2:10, so I'm wondering what sort of interesting things will we be able to check out that are relatively close to Beacon Hill? We're really looking for historical type sights. I understand we will be near a red line station. Can we can the train to see the sights on the freedom trail? I've looked at the maps, but it's very hard to judge distance.

Thanks,

Mark

I'd definitely start at the state house, head to Park Street and, depending on how much time you have, head west towards the Common/Public Garden, Newbury Street and the BPL, or head east towards Faneuil Hall and the North End.

Enjoy!!:D

Archived