Excursions with our 2 1/2 year old- Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Jamaica

Jen8616

We are going on the Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas. There will be 7 adults and our 2 1/2 year old daughter. Any recommendations for safe, family friendly activities? I was looking at RCCL excursions and it looks like they want to charge full child price for my daughter, which I personally think is ridiculous when the child price is $60-80. I have noticed private tour companies often do not include children of that age in their pricing. Any recommendations?

DD was 24 months when we cruised last month. In Cozumel, we went to Chankanaab Park. They have a very nice, protected kids beach. We didn't do the excursion through the ship. We took a cab over to the park by ourselves. I was a little worried about whether we could find a cab with seatbelts for DD's carseat but there were no problems. Although there was no place to stow DD's carseat at Chankanaab so DH had to carry it around all afternoon.

In Grand Cayman, we did the Dolphin Encounter and Stingray City excursion through Dolphin Cove. When I booked it, I found conflicting information about whether DD would be too young. Carnival's website had a minimum age for children but Dolphin Cove's website said it was open to all ages and that children under 3 are free. They didn't turn us away and DD had a great time with the dolphins. Stingray City wasn't really appropriate to young kids, IMHO. The water was too deep and rough. DH held on tight to DD while I worried about her the whole time. I saw some kids with flippers but I'm not sure that would do much good.

In Cozumel we did Nachi cocum, DS was free (he was 11.5 months at the time but I think under 3 or 5 yrs is free). We did a private Stingray city tour that included 2 snorkel stops. I had planned to put him in his float and let him swim/float with one adult while the others took turns doing the activity. He ended up falling asleep in his stroller on the catamaran and slept the entire time (2+hrs) so one adult stayed on the catamaran with him while the others swam.

I would do both again with DS now that he's 3. NC was a great beach, not crowded with a great pool and very clean. I could easily let him play while I watched from a chair because it wasn't crowded. For sting ray city it would have been more swimming time for him, again would just take turns while adults to the activity and he just swam or played on the boat, I would have kept him away from the sting rays because I think it would be scary for him but in our experience I wouldn't have had trouble staying away from the rays, just stay away from where they have the food.

I'd love to hear ideas for Falmouth...seems like there isn't too much info online regarding what to do there with young children. The only ideas I found so far were the pirate ship thing (sorry cannot remember name) and resorts. I would think under 5 or 6 is too young for most of the water adventures like tubing/the falls. We are going to Falmouth in the fall on our cruise so I'm anxious to hear more replies to your post.

We did the stingray thing in Grand Cayman pre child but I think I would take my son (now 2 years) on that tour if we went there again. We went on a private tour-one of the ones recommended on cc. There were ~20 tourists on the boat as opposed to at least 100 on the ship sponsored tours. Plus it was a lot cheaper. I would have felt safe taking him in the water w/me as long as he had a life jacket on. I think he would enjoy seeing the stingrays swimming around too.

In Grand Cayman, we did the Native Way Watersports "Reef, Rays & Rum Point" tour with our 15 month old. No charge for our daughter, as long as they don't eat a separate lunch (the lunch you get at Rum Point is plenty to share with your toddler). It was a great day. She didn't snorkel of course, but did get in the water with the ray sand enjoyed the tropical cove. Very short van ride from the pier, maybe 5 minutes, and then boats the rest of the

way. Rum Point had a small gift shop, watersports and a restaurant that claims to have invented the mudslide.

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/tour_details.htm#Rays, Reef and Rum Point

Thanks so much for the information! Big trip is only 3 weeks away! We are so excited. We were considering Nativeway tour in Grand Cayman. I did not see anything regarding what age children are still free because my daughter will be under 3 so fingers crossed she will be free! I am checking out with my group what their preferences are but this will be a great starting point. I am considering hiring a private driver in Falmouth. On the ports of call board, I read good reviews on Courtney Taylor....for a beach and island tour with a pit stop in Margaritaville, he was only going to charge $25 per person and our daughter would be free.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this older question back up top - as I am cruising in December with 4 generations - and this includes a boy that will be 2, and a girl that will be 8. I have been assigned the task of finding "family friendly" excursions to entertain these two, along with 6 adults ranging in age from 27 thru 70. I welcome any ideas and suggestions for Cozumel Mexico, Falmouth Jamaica, George Town Grand Caymen, and Labadee Haitee.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!!

We didn't want to have to deal with carseats, so for Cozumel we are doing Passion Island by boat for a beach day. For grand cayman, we are doing a dolphin swim (booked independently). DH and DS will do the dolphin encounter, while DD and I watch. It was only around $70+/- total for all 4 of us including a bus from the port.

We didn't want to have to deal with carseats, so for Cozumel we are doing Passion Island by boat for a beach day. For grand cayman, we are doing a dolphin swim (booked independently). DH and DS will do the dolphin encounter, while DD and I watch. It was only around $70+/- total for all 4 of us including a bus from the port.

What company are you using for the dolphin swim? Do they have a web site?

Archived