Zenith out of Jacksonville for good. :{

jima53

Just saw in the local newspaper that Celebrity will not be returning the Zenith back to Jacksonville next year. They kept her here for a extra season but next year she moves down to Miami when coming back from Norfolk. We need another ship besides the old Celebration. Celebrity did say that all the cruises were either at or near capacity. Guess they want to relocate closer to the cruising area.

Jim

Since the Zenith was only a 1300 passenger ship w/no balconies, the prices to cruise out of JAX was a true bargain (such a bargain that the CD told me they were losing money). I did the 2 week'er twice and would do it again and again if they offered it. Reason #2 is related to reason #1, money. They want to bring a bigger ship into JAX but they can't right now because of the bridge over the John's River. There was/is talk about building another port outside the bridge. On a per diem basis, they'll be making much more money on the 4-5 day cruises out of Miami. Ah, yes, the CD also told me that the travelers out of JAX didn't run up a very big liquor bill (on average).

I guess Lois was not doing a good enough job with getting pre cruise information to all those travelling into her home port.

Celebrity came to depend on her and she let them down.

I guess the question inserted on the cruise questionair caught up with her.

"Did Lois get you enought information for travel to Jacksonville?" 1 2 3 4 5

"Was Lois a gracious host at you pre cruise get together?" 1 2 3 4 5

From what I hear from thos on the line she was getting reve reviews in early 2004 but fell off the pace in late 2004 and early 2005.

Guess she could not keep it up.

So out they went. Maybe Carnival will use her from now on. ;)

Archived