Double Decker Bus and Buddy's

Hi All

I was wondering where you pick up the double decker bus? How long of a tour is it? or can you hop off and on? do they stop anywhere? Also where exactly is Buddy's in comparison to where we get off on the end of the long pier? Do they charge for chairs on the beach?

Hi All

I was wondering where you pick up the double decker bus? How long of a tour is it? or can you hop off and on? do they stop anywhere? Also where exactly is Buddy's in comparison to where we get off on the end of the long pier? Do they charge for chairs on the beach?

The last time I was in Progreso was about 10 months ago and at that time you could get on the DD bus about a block from where the shuttle bus let you off from the pier. Our tours have lasted usually around 20 minutes but one time they couldn't take us on the road that went by the beach due to construction so I think they made up for it by giving us an extra long tour around town. They have not stopped and I've never seen anyone get off. The tour guide will tell you the names of things you are going by and lets you know who has specials on tequila shots and how much they are :D If you sit up on the top of the bus it is an excellent way to get acclimated to the surrounding area because you can see a little further. For $3 it is something we always do and are looking forward to riding again next month. I've not been to Buddys.

Buddy's is on the main drag along the beach, very close to the pier . You can't miss it . You can sit on the beach right by the restaurant , and the waiters will serve you there . If you have not been to Progreso , don't expect water like Cozumel , but it is still not a bad stop...

fvdbtc.jpg

We were there this past Jan. The DD Bus was located in the same parking lot as the bus dropped us off at. Which is also the start of the market area. The bus also stopped at a bar so people could get off and buy a Carona for a $1. It was good to go on and get the lay of the land. Buddy's was OK. Lots of people and service was slow. Got tired of vendors interrupting our trying to relax time, so we went back to the ship. The DD Bus is definitely worth the $3.

Last time there, we were having a fun time on the beach at Buddys when a sudden rainstorm came sweeping toward us off the water. We could see it comming, so we quickly went across the street into Buddys and holed up there...and had a very fun time. The waiters were even giving out free blue tequila! After the rain passed thru and the sun came out, it was back to the beach. We always seem to end up at Buddys on the beach...have had a lot of fun and some relaxing, cheap massages!!! They have tables and shade, or lounger-thingys for laying in the sun. I had some very good fish tacos there last time ( December 2011)...and we look forward to going back in November!! The D.D. bus tour is fun also...we always take it first when we get off the pier bus, then do our exploring...then its off to the beach!!!:)

Do not miss riding on the DD bus. It was definitely worth $3. The first thing we wanted to do was ride it. We were there last week, and the place to get on the DD bus had changed recently. Can't remember the story as to why, but we went thru a bright yellow archway front that had "Bazar De Artesanias" on the front of it. It was an large open air market and the DD bus was parked in the back. There might be another way to get to it from the back, but I couldn't tell you how to get to it that way. We walked around for quite awhile looking for it, asked around, but not many could understand what we were asking. Finally we found it. The ride was about 20 minutes. They made a stop to get some $1 beers. Then rode around and gave a nice tour. Loved sitting on the top. Much better for taking pictures. Not sure if they would let you get off anywhere or not. We stayed on until the tour was over. Then we walked to Buddy's. Everything we wanted to see/do, was within walking distance (if you don't mind walking some).

I truly enjoyed this port, but I did find that we were approached alot by the people selling their wares (more than anywhere else I've been). It was unbelievable. Even at Buddy's while we were trying to drink and eat, they were relentless. I must have said "No Thank You" an zillion times. But we didn't let it ruin the great day we had there. We enjoyed Buddy's. Not sure if they charge for lounge chairs on the beach. We just hung out inside, then went to Le Saint Bonnet, just down the street and enjoyed it as well. Here's a link for a free Margarita there: http://www.lesaintbonnet.com/oferta.htm

Buddys doesnt charge for lounge chairs at the beach, but they do expect you to order food or drinks...or in my case..both!!! If you like fish tacos, they are good there!! You can lay in the loungers at the waters edge, and the waiters will bring your drink to you...its great!!!:)

• 3 weeks later...
Do they have more than one DD bus? Was there a line of people (do you have to wait for the next bus)?

I've only seen one but there may be others. We've never had to wait in line-usually we are the first getting on the bus because we want to sit on top. I'm sure it can get crowded at times though but we always try to ride as early as possible.

I've only seen one but there may be others. We've never had to wait in line-usually we are the first getting on the bus because we want to sit on top. I'm sure it can get crowded at times though but we always try to ride as early as possible.

We've never had to wait in line either, as we usually get off the boat as soon as possible and always do the D.D. bus first. The last time ( last Dec. ), we actually had to wait 10 or 15 minutes before anyone else even got on...it was just us and another couple that we had talked into going. We got there early...got our usual top-front seat...and then had to sit in the hot sun for what seemed forever before anyone else came along. It actually wasnt a bad wait, as we had the other couple to visit with, and after a few minutes, the other guy and myself went and got drinks at the flea market ( .50 Mexican Cokes! ) Finally some other couples got on and they took off. We were nowhere near full...maybe half....but other times we've been on it was closer to full. :)

• 2 months later...

Never had to wait for the DD bus and yes, they try to sell even inside Buddy's. The same folks keep coming by the table over and over. Guess they think they if they ask enough times a sell will come sooner or later. Still enjoy Progreso and won't let that stop our fun. Just hold up your hand, shake of the head, no thanks and keep on visiting. :D

Good times!

Kat

Archived