tour guide in Bangkok

andydee

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If you're flying into Bangkok for a pre-cruise visit, and not getting there from the ship, then I recommend hiring a guide at the airport. There's a licensed guide service desk right at the baggage claim. They have the tours and the prices listed. We paid about $25. for a half day tour with an english speaking guide and a driver w/ an aircondtioned car.

Bangkok is a safe and easy city to see on your own, however, we like having a guide for one day to give us an orientation and to make sure we get to the "must see's". She picked us up at our hotel and took us to all the places we wanted to see - Prince's Palace, Jade Buddah, Gold Buddah, etc. We then gave her and the driver a nice tip at the end. They were happy, we were happy.

• 4 months later...
Hi everyone We are interested in doing the tiger temple in Bangkok. Do you think Ratt would pick us up at the cruise port and take us all day ( the temple is 4 hours drive from Bangkok) Thanks Nicole:confused:

The tiger temple is regulated as to who can gain entry. The monks deal with certain agencies. The temple only allows so many people to visit and those that are approved by the temple are the only ones who will gain entry without specific permission from the monks. And that permission is usually given to journalists, diplomats, NGO officials, etc.

Having an outside guide drive you to the temple will duplicate efforts unless you also book a tour with Jumbo River Kwai. The guide would eliminate the bus trip only in that instance, as you must get to Kanchaburri somehow. The guide cannot get you into Tiger Temple, unless pre arranged with the monks. If the guide says he can, he booked the tour with one of the authorized agencies and charged you for it. My advice: Stick with the links I posted earlier. They are all approved by the monks. I was also going to hire a car and driver to get me to tiger temple, until I was told I could not get in without pre authorization from the monks. Since I don't speak Thai and only a couple of the monks speak English, I figured that would be very difficult.

Thankyou again. Your helpful advise is much appreciated. We are looking as going with the tour you suggested but are having a bit of difficulty as they would rather not pick you up at the cruise port where we will be arriving on Superstar Virgo. As the ship does not dock till 8.00 we are having a bit of a problem with the time the tour leaves (but not giving up hope yet) Regards Nicole:rolleyes:

Do you have to get back on the ship that day??? Is Bangkok the end of your cruise?

It is about a 2 hour drive from the port to Bangkok, then 3-4 hours to tiger temple. Unless it has changed, the monks don't allow anyone in until about lunch.

You may have to make all your own transportation arrangements to Kanchaburri, as most of the tours from Bangkok leave about 8-9. Surely someone on your cruise has a suggestion how to get into Bangkok. And then, if nothing else, you can always take the bus to Kanchaburri and book the tour with Jumbo River Kwai. If you take this route, take minimal possessions-no laptops, etc. Just water and a camera.

Good luck.

Hi greatam (my wonderfully informative friend) We actually arrive in Bangkok on 26.9.06 and the ship docks at 08.00, so by the time we get off it will probably be about 8.30. It leaves on 27.9.06 at 04.00. I have been in contact via email with Dr Somchai Visamongkolochai at www.openworldthailiand who does tours and he suggested we made our own way to Bangkok and then met up with him. However, I did not relise the port was 2 hours from Bangkok, so I am starting to think this may not be such a fabulous idea even though I really really really want to go to the tiger temple. Thanks again Regards Nicole:confused:

• 3 months later...

Archived