Verizon coverage in Skagway

AngieGal3

Hello all!

I am planning a cruise to Alaska and plan on doing the White Pass Railway while in Skagway.

Will there be Verizon cell phone reception on the train? My netbook's internet runs on 3G and I'm told it's a very long day. Is it possible to get a connection in the wilderness here to post LIVE?

Thanks!

I didn't bring my phone on the train, to be honest last thing i wanted was to be bothered by anyone while on the train. I do know that it worked in town, pretty well too if I remember correctly. I would doubt if it worked all the way out where the trains goes, but I could be wrong.

Three years ago (Sept 2009) we did an Alaska cruise-tour with a very dear friend who LIVE blogged the entire trip using only his iphone. At that time, to our knowledge, it was the first HAL CruiseCritic LIVE-from thread using only that device.

At the Skagway portcall, Brian did the Whitepass RR trip to Canada & back. (The husband & I didn't go on that excursion with him). Let me geek around to see if I can either:

1. find that thread & give you the link, or

2. e-mail B. to see if he remembers what service was like.

You might also want to contact your local verizon office. I didn't have a smart phone then, but did have one that texted easily (had a qwerty keyboard). What I do remember was that for phone service I was in roam-mode for most of the trip, so phone calls would have been pricey. Texting, which is what I mostly did, was only limited by my plan with verizon.

Another option - Write everything off-line in something like Word & then post them once you get back to your ship.

And remember that if the tour crosses into Canada, you'll be charged international rates. Most of the ones that are "very long days" do go into Canada, so watch out.

Yes, Canada can be very expensive. And you don't have to cross over. If you hit one of the towers located in Canada, you will be charged those rates. It happens quite frequently here up in Northern Maine near the Canadian boarders.:eek:

We have verizon and did not get cell service much past Skagway. We ended up having to use a payphone near carcross to make sure our dog sledding tour was still going to happen. It was very funny hunting for $2+ dollars in change to make a phone call. :p

Thanks everyone! I think my best option would be to take paper notes. even tho "tinkerbell" is a netbook, it can get tiring carrying her around. and I certainly don't want to be anti-social with my traveling companions :D

Archived