Please don't kick the turtles

chirpy12345

We recently returned from a top notch excursion in Barbados that visited the sea turtles. One person in the small group continually kicked his legs--like he was running. As the turtles swam over to get fed, he kicked one of them where the turtle's arm comes out of the shell. The turtle immediately left and didn't return. If the human had engaged in mild movements to keep himself afloat, or used a floatation device to control himself, this wouldn't have happened.

Please be careful when you are around the turtles, and all of the ocean reef and wildlife. I know he didn't kick the turtle intentionally, but being more aware of his motions and surroundings would have prevented the accident.

(It's been bothering me for a week, so I had to post it.)

Please don't kick the turtles

We recently returned from a top notch excursion in Barbados that visited the sea turtles. One person in the small group continually kicked his legs--like he was running. As the turtles swam over to get fed, he kicked one of them where the turtle's arm comes out of the shell. The turtle immediately left and didn't return. If the human had engaged in mild movements to keep himself afloat, or used a floatation device to control himself, this wouldn't have happened.

Please be careful when you are around the turtles, and all of the ocean reef and wildlife. I know he didn't kick the turtle intentionally, but being more aware of his motions and surroundings would have prevented the accident.

(It's been bothering me for a week, so I had to post it.)

And I am glad that you did.

Barbados takes special care of the Hawksbills. The island is the 1st in the Caribbean to protect them and start the Barbados Sea Turtle Project, which monitors and protects them.

During nesting on the SW and SSW part of the island all commercial venues must turn off their outside lights at night so as not to confuse them.

It is a very serious infraction to harm a Hawksbill.

In the future, if you are with an organised tour and you see this abuse, whether it is intentional or accidental, please tell the captain and request some intervention. Just a few reports of abuse will cause the operator to be denied access to the turtle areas.

And you good folks that swim out from the beach to see them and have fins on, please either remove them of take extra special care not to ever hit them. Swim fins around a turtle is an invitation for them to loose any eye.

Lastly, touching them.....

It is best not to touch them unless you know how and where to do it.

No skin or eye touching, only the shell.

Yes, there is a slime layer covering the whole turtle, but if just the shell is touched it rebuilds within hours and doesn't harm the animal.

Please come and enjoy these wonderful creatures and respect them. :)

I've seen a lot of that type of behaviour - not just in Barbados.

Some folks are not very comfortable in the water, or have never snorkeled before and they just end up thrashing around in the water.

I've been kicked in the face and just about everywhere else by these types, which is why I like to snorkel by myself or with a small group away from the crowds. In Bonaire, I watched a young guy trample across 20 feet of fragile stag coral, reducing it to rubble. Very heartbreaking to see...

The key is to just relax, and be aware of your surroundings...

If someone is kicking turtles, definitely point them out to a crew member...

Cheers, P:)

What I found in Barbados was to distance yourself from the mass of newbie snokelers sorrounding the feeding frenzy. Just be still in the water a distance away and the turtles will come to you. It's a much more intimate encounter, because it's the turtle's choice to interact with you. And they do seem to be very curious creatures. Much less danger to the wildlife as well. And the general rule in the ocean is don't touch anything. There is a lot of stingie, bitie, itchie things in the water. If you aren't an expert. Don't touch.

What I found in Barbados was to distance yourself from the mass of newbie snokelers sorrounding the feeding frenzy. Just be still in the water a distance away and the turtles will come to you. It's a much more intimate encounter, because it's the turtle's choice to interact with you. And they do seem to be very curious creatures. Much less danger to the wildlife as well. And the general rule in the ocean is don't touch anything. There is a lot of stingie, bitie, itchie things in the water. If you aren't an expert. Don't touch.

I agree, the same thing worked for me. We were on a ship's tour, so there were more people than the private tours, and when we first got into the water it was crazy. I was getting frustrated with people crowding and kicking, so I just backed off and stayed a bit away from the group and turtles started coming around. After a few minutes it calmed down and everyone seemed to realize there were going to be plenty of turtles. I also saw a couple of people who had obviously swam out from shore, they were wearing fins so I knew they weren't with our tour since fins are prohibited. One guy kept trying to grab onto a turtle's back and have it pull him along and I give credit to the guides because they very sternly told him to leave the turtles alone. I know there isn't any way to keep people from swimming out from shore, but I do believe that the tour operators are very knowledgeable and protective of the turtles and unfortunately those that just swim out from shore have not been given the same instructions as those on the tours and may be ignorant/uninformed about being careful around the turtles.

• 1 month later...

That's so sad :( Someone reported on a recent Victory review that there weren't that many turtles the day she went on an excursion because something happened with the turtles the day before. I wonder if this is the reason?

Archived