New movie at Mendenhall Glacier this year!

Mendenhall Ranger

Thought I would give everyone here a heads-up - this year marks the premiere season for an all-new HD movie at Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center.

"Landscape of Change: The Tongass National Forest" is a 15-minute film that explores Mendenhall Glacier and its surrounding coastal rainforest ecosystem - a unique, precariously-balanced dance of advance and retreat that provides habitat for everything from beavers to terns, Sitka spruce to sockeye salmon.

"Landscape of Change" will be playing on the same schedule as the old one - top of the hour, 20 after, and 40 after - and as always, admission is included with your visitor center wristband.

I have not seen the completed film yet, but I have seen snippets and it looks GORGEOUS. The MGVC theatre was entirely redone a couple years ago with a cinema-quality HD projector, screen and sound system... which really made the old "Magnificent Mendenhall" film look like the SD relic it was :o We're really excited to have a movie that will do justice to our theatre!

Also, if you want to keep tabs on what's going on at Mendenhall Glacier, you can find us tweeting at http://twitter.com/MendenhallUSFS. You'll get news updates, wildlife photos, the occasional science tidbit - and if you tweet a great picture from your visit, we try to retweet as many of those as we can! :)

Archived