Old Capers from TSS Carnivale

Very gracious of you. Thanks. Mistakes like that are flame fodder on this site *lol*

Nah, no problemo, mi amigo. Now let's ask folks: What ship became "Berengaria" for Cunard, and which "Leviathan" for US Lines, and which "Majestic" for White Star Lines after WWI?

Hint: They were all formerly German liners for the North German Lloyd (Hapag Lloyd) given to the allies as war reparations.

Extra credit: Which one one these three ships was commanded by Arthur Rostron (after being handed over by the Germans), and why is "Sir" Arthur Rostron incredibly famous in maritime history?

Everyone runs to Google!! :D Dang it! Google spoils everything! ;)

My wife and I experienced our first cruise on the Carnivale in September 1990. We actually just came across the video tape of that cruise last night and decided to pop it in and watch it. Thought it might get us in the mood as we will be cruising 6/2 on the Freedom. My how cruising has changed. I do miss the calypso band but for the most part everything else I believe has vastly improved. From the space in the cabin and the ship to the availability and selection of the food. Still after all these years I believe cruising is the best value for the money.

Sorry guys. Those were printed on a very fine Dot Matrix printer.

That would have been a pretty sophisticated printing operation in 1985 if you assume those were done on the ship and not on shore prior to sailing.

Hugh in Dallas

Oh how I remember the Free Rum Swizzle party on the first night, the midnight buffets every night, and the beer drinking contest. I also remember back then you could smoke anywhere, dinner was very smokey, don't miss that at all. It is funny how much more there really is now, even with the things they did away with but the prices never really went up. My first cruise in 1990 for an outside cabin with 3 of us in a room was 1000 a person. Considering for alittle more if not the same you can get a balcony room now. I also remember the souvenir glasses were actually glass, and the old keys actually opened several rooms. We found that out as by accident we put our key in a friend of ours room and it opened their room, scary.

Archived