Diving in Europe/Mediterranean in October

g0ingn0w

We just booked a cruise for mid-October, 2012. One of the ports is Taormina (Sicily), Italy and the online information I've found so far claims their dive season is year round. Has anyone ever been diving there? Got any good advice or info to share? Any recommendations for a dive shop? Is there a must-see dive?

If it helps, we're sailing on Regent Seven Seas Voyager from 10/17 - 10/24. Taormina is the southern most port in the itinerary. My husband and I are experienced divers (over 100 dives each) and we usually dive twice a year. We haven't been on a cruise since our honeymoon in 1990.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
We just booked a cruise for mid-October, 2012. One of the ports is Taormina (Sicily), Italy and the online information I've found so far claims their dive season is year round. Has anyone ever been diving there? Got any good advice or info to share? Any recommendations for a dive shop? Is there a must-see dive?

If it helps, we're sailing on Regent Seven Seas Voyager from 10/17 - 10/24. Taormina is the southern most port in the itinerary. My husband and I are experienced divers (over 100 dives each) and we usually dive twice a year. We haven't been on a cruise since our honeymoon in 1990.

Thank you

Sorry I can't help you. I am research Tenerife for mid Nov TA and also not finding much info. I have started to email the shops I find in internet searchs and Scubaboard. Most of the dive shops/sites are being reported as southwest end of the island approx 90+ minutes drive. So if I Dive in Tenerife it will be limitted to shops close to cruise port.

I am in Italy (cruise in end of Oct) so maybe I need to start search there also. I thought it would be too cold.

Good luck

John

Thanks John - I moved on to scubaboard.com and have gotten a former US resident to reply. He's a DM and a resident of Siciliy since last summer. He's recommended Dive Sicily. Good luck to you as well.

g0ingn0w

Sorry I can't help you. I am research Tenerife for mid Nov TA and also not finding much info. I have started to email the shops I find in internet searchs and Scubaboard. Most of the dive shops/sites are being reported as southwest end of the island approx 90+ minutes drive. So if I Dive in Tenerife it will be limitted to shops close to cruise port.

I am in Italy (cruise in end of Oct) so maybe I need to start search there also. I thought it would be too cold.

Good luck

John

• 1 month later...

We were suppose to Dive at Taormina when we were there 2 years ago in mid-September. There are dive operators right at the beach and I had arranged ahead of time to dive that day. Unfortunately, our ship arrived late and it began raining, so we missed the dive. Wished we would have done the dive at Capri. The blue hole or whatever its called. There is a miniature blue hole here at Taormina but expect the waters to be COOL in October. Bring your wetsuit.

Archived