Alternate route to Cape Liberty

We'll be travelling from north of Boston for our cruise from Bayonne in 2 weeks and we're hoping to avoid rush hour traffic on the GW bridge. Anyone use the Tappanzee instead and how much longer will this make our trip? Any other suggesions would be most appreciated!!!:D

Coming from New England your goal should be to reach the CT/NY line around 9-9:30 am and to use the cars only parkway route through Westchester County to be at Bayonne between 10:30-11 am. There is no reason for you to be on the GW Bridge at rush hour. If you don't know how to take the parkways instead of I95, please post back and I will give the detailed directions. IMO the Tappan Zee Bridge takes you way out of the way and you still have the possibility of hitting traffic when you swing back towards NYC. Remember that NY to NJ in the morning is against the heavy traffic flow. The NJ Turnpike has 6 lanes to accommodate any traffic.

I'd be forever grateful :p if you sent along a detailed route plan! I'll even toast you every night onboard the Explorer!! Thanks so much, I owe you one! We'll be travelling form the Mass Pike onward.:D

Coming from New England your goal should be to reach the CT/NY line around 9-9:30 am and to use the cars only parkway route through Westchester County to be at Bayonne between 10:30-11 am. There is no reason for you to be on the GW Bridge at rush hour. If you don't know how to take the parkways instead of I95, please post back and I will give the detailed directions. IMO the Tappan Zee Bridge takes you way out of the way and you still have the possibility of hitting traffic when you swing back towards NYC. Remember that NY to NJ in the morning is against the heavy traffic flow. The NJ Turnpike has 6 lanes to accommodate any traffic.

Mass Pike I90 to Rt 84 south to I91 south. Take exit 17 to W Cross Parkway, which becomes Merritt Pkwy and then the Hutchinson River Pkwy (Merritt renamed in NY) at I287 at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($4 toll). Take the GW bridge exit (left exit - stay to the right on the exit ramp). On the bridge get in the middle left lane to get on I80 west to the NJ Turnpike. Follow the first set of signs to the Lincoln Tunnel (this puts you on the eastern turnpike spur), but don't get off at the real Lincoln Tunnel exit 3 miles later. Stay on the turnpike and follow the signs to exit 14A in Bayonne. Go directly across the toll plaza and take the up ramp that curves left. Stay to the right and bear right at every opportunity until you reach the traffic light at route 440. Make a left, stay left, and make the first left turn onto Port Terminal Blvd.

Don't let your GPS take you on I95. Once you are on this route, your GPS should adjust itself, but who knows. Just follow the directions. There are no trucks from I91 until you get on the GW Bridge. You will get on at the very last bridge entrance in a dedicated lane.

Archived