snorkel mouthpiece sizes?

i seemed to get water leaking into my mouth when we tried snorkeling, i didn't choke on it but it would trickle in and then i'd have to blow it out. do you think this was due to my snorkel type? i've never seen different sizes, but i did read someone's post about a "rigid" vs "flexible" snorkel would this make a difference? or do i just need to work harder at keeping my mouth shut?:)

Bwwaah ha ha! First of all, I tell you, there are alot of people that probably have to work harder on keeping their mouth shut. As far as snokeling goes, you may not be one of them. The rigid vs. flexible part in a snorkel applies to the "J" curve in the tube part of a snorkel.

Snorkel mouthpieces, with the exception of children's sizes, are generally a standard size mouthpiece. As a dive instructor with many years teaching snorkleling, I find that many people will actually put the snorkels in their mouth improperly.

Make sure your teeth are on the bite tabs, located on either side, and that your mouth is essentially closed. (like wearing a retainer) Purse your lips so that your lips are actually holding it in place. There is no need to bite down with a death grip!

Hope this helps a little and the next time you go, have your guide give that snorkel a quick check to make sure it's right! You're not supposed to drink the ocean, just look at the fishies in it!

Archived