Summer Must Haves

I see all these fun and funky summer dresses and i am like wow they look beautiful and then when i try them on they look horrible. because of my bigger bust they look like circus tents lol

I have a larger bust, too, and I used to think that I could never wear a dress that wasn't fitted throughout because my chest makes it go out. However, I've learned that the key to wearing dresses that aren't cut is to cinch it at the waist with a belt or sash. It still gives you the billowy look, but adding a belt defines your waist. You can't do it with all dresses because of material, but with casual dresses, it's usually easy to find a belt that looks good with it.

Now - do you have a Pinterest? I recommend that you go "shopping" and just pin things that catch your eye, no matter the price. Just pin, pin, pin - then look at your boards and see what you're drawn to. A certain color? Is your style more tailored? Bohemian? Glamorous?

I also suggest that you don't get caught up on exact brands and stores. If you think that you want one particular item, it could be really disappointing if they are out of stock or it just doesn't fit right or suit your body type. I'd also describe myself as an overachiever, and I used to get really caught up in making sure I purchased things from the "right" stores - and it usually ended up with me crying in the dressing room. Don't do that to yourself. The best thing you can do is learn to be flexible. Know what you like and learn what suits your body type. I've become so practiced in the dress industry that I can look at the cut of something in a picture or on a hanger and tell if it will look good on me.

Know your assets, and be proud. I'm very chesty, and I used to try to cover that up and pretend like I could wear the same things as my B-cup friends. Looking back at pictures, I looked awful - the outfits I chose just accentuated the fact that I was busty. Now I look for sweetheart necklines - a cut that is much more flattering on me than straight-across. I have a tiny waist, so I will choose clothes that are either tight throughout, fitted to the waist, or I'll cinch a loose dress right on my waistline.

Now, don't be afraid to try on things that you don't think will look good on you. There are two possible outcomes 1) you were right, and have a good sense of judgement or 2) you were wrong, but look totally amazing!

Also, while it's fun to get the new trendy must-haves, also look for classics that will always be in style. Color is fun, but invest in black and white and neutral metallics such as gold, bronze, and silver. Spend a little more on your "investment" pieces if you think you'll be able to wear this for years to come.

And don't forget - you're young! Have fun with color. Try new things. And always have a sense of humor - never take yourself too seriously.

Good luck with shopping! :) And have a great time on your cruise!!

BBM

Great advice!

HAPPY CRUISING!!

Archived