Plan for just under 48 hrs in Bermuda

vavasmom

I am hoping some of the experts can offer any suggestions or point out possible pitfalls in my plans. Thanks in advance

We are a party of 4. Myself, my BFF (both in our mid-40’s); my 16 yo DD; and my 17 yo niece.

DD and I visited Bermuda last April (Pride cruise). BFF has cruised before but never been to Bermuda. It is my niece’s first cruise and visit to Bermuda. We sail on the Enchantment June 22. We are in Bermuda late Sunday afternoon – Tuesday at noon.

Since it was very cool last April the only beach we saw (except from the bus) was Snorkel Park (not the beautiful Pink Sand Bermuda is famous for). Some time on a beach is a must. DD and I toured both St. George and Hamilton – I don’t think we have time for St. George given the travel time.

Sunday

We arrive in Bermuda at 3pm. I expect it will take at least 45 minutes for the ship to clear and disembark. Since it is Sunday and there are limited options we will go to the Sea Glass beach to collect some Bermuda Sea Glass. In the interest of time, I am thinking of taking a cab to the beach and using the CC directions in reverse to walk back. How long would you allow for walking around the beach and collecting some glass. I understand the walk back will take 25 – 35 minutes.

We will do the dining room if we are ready for dinner at 6pm – otherwise dinner in the Wind Jammer

Can I buy a transportation pass on Sunday evening or do I need to get off the ship a little earlier on Monday (what time do they start selling them at dockyard)

Monday

Catch an early #7 bus (8:20?) to Horseshoe Bay – spend the morning enjoying the beach. When we are ready to return to the ship, catch the #7 bus back to Dockyard. Clean-up and have lunch in the Windjammer.

After lunch, catch the ferry to Hamilton. Do the city walking tour from Frommers ( http://www.frommers.com/destinations/bermuda/0091020033.html ). We are not planning to go into the Historical Society Museum. We may or may not go into Hamilton City Hall. If time is tight we could skip Victoria Gardens and the cathedral. I just read the moat at the fort is still closed (bummer)

Notes from last April – buy a couple of bottles of water for the walk up to Fort Hamilton; if we see the same shop on front street – the Chocolate Truffle Milkshake is worth every penny they charge (great treat). No shopping is planned.

After we finish the tour, back to the ship via the Ferry, clean-up and have dinner in the buffet – I don’t think we can be ready for a 6pm dinner. After dinner attend the Monday night street festival at the dockyard (Destination Dockyard) http://www.bermuda.com/events/share/2012/april/destination-dockyard.aspx

Tuesday

My DD and BFF are doing the Glass Bottom Kayak excursion – it will meet at the dock at 8am.

My niece and I will tour the dockyard area and do any last minute souvenir shopping. All aboard for departure will be 11:30.

You are missing:

Historical Re-enactments

Kings Square

Watch Bermuda’s history come to life as the St. George’s Town Crier conducts an 18th century trial. This entertaining and light-hearted historical re-enactment will show how an offender was publicly punished, including the ducking of a nagging wench.

April to November

Monday-Thursday and Saturday 12:00 noon

I know this will get me flamed, but you are trading a day at a wonderful location (Bermuda) for a day of beach and city. I suggest taking a blue flag taxi tour of the country. There is so much to see. Check this out.

Archived