Rum Point-Don't Miss it!

boatbunny

Boatbunny and others-

I'm posting live from the Voyager of the Seas- last night. Luggage packed, etc.

We had a wonderful time - delightful day. Just- not enough time! The Voyager is only in port from 8:00-3:30 (all aboard).

Managed to stay three hours. Will post more when we return. Was worth the drive- scenic and AWAY from the CROWDS. (Not shouting!).

Hello everyone, please accept my apologies for not respondind sooner, I was away on vacation for the past week. For those who have emailed me personally for pictures, I will be sending them along tonight or tomorrow morning.

I will answer the posts individually, because I simply can't remember them all!

Michelle

We will be in GC in Dec and we heard there would be 7 ships at port that same day! We are hoping Rum Point will not be crowded as we know 7 Mile Beach will be. From everything you have said Beachbunny I am so excited to go, it sounds like heaven to me! Does anyone know if the ferry is running yet or might be running in Dec?

Your best bet is to check with Red Sail Sports, I've posted the website address in previous pages on this thread. They will know when it will be up and running and what kind of schedule it currently has. When we were there at the end of April, they were hoping to have it back up and running by the fall.

Boatbunny, I think you missed your calling in career choices. If you ever become a TA I think you would do quite well. I know there have been many posts regarding time availability but I noticed in your OP that you were in GC on Explorer of the Seas. I will be there in a couple of weeks with EOS. I was a little disappointed when I realized how short our stay is in GC. Ship arrives at 9:30am, departs 5:30pm with tendering in and out. Can you please comment on your own timing to get to shore and when you had to tender back.

Hi!! You should have plenty of time to enjoy Rum Point, we were there for the same time period. Tendering in GC is one of the easiest and quickest, it's only about a 5-10 min tender in from the ship, same for back out, and there are tons of tenders since this is such a popular island. The walk up to the Blue Iguana is only a few minutes as well, basically, it should take you about 30-40 mins to get from the ship to the Cico Avis office to pick up your car. The drive is about 45 mins on the way there, give yourself an hour to get back to Cico in the afternoon because there is a little bit of traffic near the airport in the afternoon.

You should be able to have a very enjoyable day at Rum Point, and don't forget that the drive out is very scenic as well and gives you a real taste of the island outside of the tourist areas.

I have read that close to rum point is a beach that has hundreds of starfish. If I take the ferry from the Hyatt (1st week of February), will it be a long walk to that other beach? Hope someone knows. Thanks. Marlyne

M&T, if you read back through this thread, maybe toward the beginning, I give the website address with a map to the starfish beach. It is not within walking distance from the Rum Point resort, unless you want a pretty long walk. I would recommend driving, although it is only a few miles away.

If you can't find the post with the web address, let me know and I will find it again. Also, I have a few pics of the starfish beach if you want to email me at my personal email.

smdbelskis@prodigy.net

Michelle

Hi All,

A couple of weeks ago I received an email on my personal account from a gentleman who was leaving the next day on a cruise, he was surprising his girlfriend with both the cruise, and an engagement ring. He was going to propose at Rum Point.

If he happens to read this, I'd love to hear your story!! And, I really wanted to see if you were available to come up to NH and give my DH a few lessons in "how to romance your partner" (get your minds outta the gutter, I mean good ole fashion romancing!)!!

Boatbunny, I hope you see this post. My family just wants to thank you for all your posts and your e-mail (pictures) you sent me. You are right PARADISE. We have fallen in love with Rum Point. What a day! It was all you said it to be. Thanks so much it is a memeroy we will never forget. A wonderful drive a beautiful empty beach, great food, snorkeling (stingrays, fish, shells, palm trees, Paradise) your right!!! Thanks again..Rlyans

Boat Bunny, Yes I will look at your previous post. I figured that we would need to drive, but had thought it would be nice to ferry to Rum Point instead of renting a car. It sounds as if renting a car is the way to go if I want to see the starfish. Thanks so much for your helpful post. Marlyne

Boatbunny, I hope you see this post. My family just wants to thank you for all your posts and your e-mail (pictures) you sent me. You are right PARADISE. We have fallen in love with Rum Point. What a day! It was all you said it to be. Thanks so much it is a memeroy we will never forget. A wonderful drive a beautiful empty beach, great food, snorkeling (stingrays, fish, shells, palm trees, Paradise) your right!!! Thanks again..Rlyans

Hi! Thanks for coming back to post and let us know how your day at Rum Point was! I do keep checking back to see if anyone has questions, although the past 2 weeks have been very difficult trying to get into the boards.

I was actually able to get on this am for the first time in almost a week, looked quick and didn't think I saw the thread, it would have been the first time since I posted this back in May that it went to the second page (or heaven forbid, Floataway lounge!).

Anyway, glad everyone is getting good info out of it and please feel free to email me with any questions or pic requests.

Michelle

After having followed this thread and doing other reading we have decided to visit Rum Point in December. We are renting a car from Avis, and taking our then 3 and 5 yo boys to the beach to play! We are really looking forward to this. This is to be our family beach day, and it sounds like it will be great! Can't wait!!!!

Thanks, Boatbunny for the great pics you sent me and all the wonderful information. - Diana

Is there anything else to do near Rum Point? I tend to have a very short attention span and may want to check out some other things. I had thought about checking out Hell also, but I looked at the map and I'm not thinking that will be an option anymore.

Also, are there any better options for renting a car? I read about Budget. Is this also independant? Website? Local companies were mentioned somewhere. Any websites on those?

After having followed this thread and doing other reading we have decided to visit Rum Point in December. We are renting a car from Avis, and taking our then 3 and 5 yo boys to the beach to play! We are really looking forward to this. This is to be our family beach day, and it sounds like it will be great! Can't wait!!!!

Thanks, Boatbunny for the great pics you sent me and all the wonderful information. - Diana

You are very welcome! I hope you and your family have as wonderful of a time as our's did.

Arubalisa- not sure about the ferry. Best place to check is with Red Sail Sports, their website address is : http://www.redsailcayman.com

I second that. We just returned from doing the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour with Nativeway. We did the Reef first and that was unbelievable, then we did the Rays and that was fantastic. Run Point capped off our day perfectly. It truly is paradise... like the postcard image we envision paradise to be.

You are all so very welcome! I am so glad that everyone had a wonderful time. I relive our day at Rum Point everytime I read about someone else enjoying it! My DH is still upset with me though, he thinks all of you are going to get in on our idea of retiring to Rum Point and you're going to drive up the real estate prices even more by the time we can get there!!

Just bumping this back, for the first time since early May, it was almost on page 2.

I hope this thread continues to provide people with helpful info, for those who have emailed me upon your return, thanks for letting me know you enjoyed your day!

Is the ferry from the Hyatt to Rum Point up and running again? If not, anyone know when it will be available?

I emailed Red Sail Sports & the ferry isn't running yet. I specifically asked about Nov. 19th. There was no mention of when or if it will run again. They suggested we could rent one of their powerboats for a mere $150 an hour to access RP. It was nice of them to get back to me though. I would love to spend the day there, but my DH doesn't like driving on vacation. I wish we could find another way (other than a rental car) to get there. I just don't see forcing him to do something he doesn't enjoy, when there's other beaches to visit. :(

tarheelmjfan you should have a look at the island jeep tour, it goes to Rum Point and they put 4 in a jeep so maybe you can just ride with another couple, or the guide, might want to ask them http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/GrandCaymanJeepTour.htm

I wonder how much time they spend at the beach. :confused: The Tortuga Rum Cake Factory would be a fun stop, but we would want to spend most of our time at the beach. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Thanks Kenneth & Tammy. I appreciate your sharing the info. We are in the same spot as you :( Won't drive there. I guess we'll try for day passes at the Hyatt instead or just stay aboard the Galaxy and enjoy the peace and quiet :)

• 2 weeks later...
Why Cant We Just Pay A Taxi To Take Us There And Back? Anyone Checked Into This ?

You could, but I think you would find it far cheaper to rent the car. But, if you negotiated with a cab driver for kind of a "full day" deal, you might work out okay.

Just keep in mind, you will be doing this off your cruise ship excursion program, so you run the risk of missing the ship if late. At least with renting a car, the rental agency wants to maintain a good reputation, and believe me, they know boards like this exist and just a few bad posts can ruin their business. Therefore, they will strive to maintain good service, specifically, if your vehicle breaks down while you are on your way to or back from Rum Point, they are going to do everything to get you back to the ship, versus a cab driver who really won't care.

My recommendation would either be 1. rent the car 2. Nativeway has a Rum, Reef tour and I think they also just added a new excursion where you drive a 4x4 jeep with a tour guide out to Rum Point.

Archived