TIpping

Sorry, I veered off the original point a little. But I challenge anyone to point out where anyone here said they would not tip the servers and cabin stewards. They just want to tip them at the end of the cruise based on the service they get. And tip the people who directly serve them. All of which makes complete sense to me now after learning a lot on these boards.

Imagine if all these companies that pay low wages all raised the minimum salaries to say around $10- $12/ per hour, and eliminated all tips.

That steak is now going to cost you $200, haircut will cost you $150, that cruise will now cost you $3000, etc,etc,etc.

I would rather pay $600- $700 for my cruise and tip the waiters, bartenders, stewards, etc the extra $30- $40 it costs me for the week than the alternative.

If they paid that kind of money, they'd hire Americans. They pay less to people from other countries for a reason.

Imagine if all these companies that pay low wages all raised the minimum salaries to say around $10- $12/ per hour, and eliminated all tips.

That steak is now going to cost you $200, haircut will cost you $150, that cruise will now cost you $3000, etc,etc,etc.

I would rather pay $600- $700 for my cruise and tip the waiters, bartenders, stewards, etc the extra $30- $40 it costs me for the week than the alternative.

Exactly

That is why I have never taken a job that depends on tips. I would never work for someone who did not want to pay me and tried to trick others to give me money. Remember a tip is an extra something to show appreciation for doing something nice for me. One should not be dependent on another for the salary. It should be a bonus. I do give bonus not tips. I have paid for that service with my fare.

No, you are not paying for service, you are paying for your food, entertainment, roof over your head, and toilet paper to wipe your butt. The tips are extra for the people to take care of you on your vacation.

I did mention karma and if you think that you are "above" working for tips then my wish for you is for one day that you be in the "shoes" of someone who works for tips and have to deal with *** holes every day.

Let me get this straight. Cruise lines doesnt pay their employees a decent wadge, the employee does not meet the guarentee, the cruse line blames the customer and the customer is called a cheapskate.

Take your evil discriptions to the source of this, the cruise lines.

So some have wanted to degrade those who have a different opinion, yet they have not answered the questions asked.

What do you pay for when you pay a fee? Why should we double pay for a service? Who sets the standard of what a service is worth as far as a gratuity is concerned? Shouldn't a person be to determine what bonus they give someone for a bad, good, superior job? Why should the customer have to pay the whole wage when they work for the cruise lines? If you don't feel gratitude, do you still give a gratuity.

No, you are not paying for service, you are paying for your food, entertainment, roof over your head, and toilet paper to wipe your butt. The tips are extra for the people to take care of you on your vacation.

I did mention karma and if you think that you are "above" working for tips then my wish for you is for one day that you be in the "shoes" of someone who works for tips and have to deal with *** holes every day.

It is my choice to study and work towards a job that does not require tips. That does not mean I think I am above anyone. That is my choice according to what my interest are.

I worked for 10 years in retail and delt with people like you everyday and did not receive a tip. My wife has worked in retail for 16 years and have never received a tip.

So, just go ahead and make your comments personal and nasty, it just shows your one of those *** holes your talking about. Have a wonderful evening.

I would differ with your opinion as to what you pay for. Read the brochures they send out and listen to what they advertise. Servicing of the room is something you pay for.

I don't have the patience to read through all the entries on this thread but I learned one thing real quick during the past 6 days. If you slip the people who give you personal service an extra $5.00 cash, here and there during the cruise, service that was already great will become even more so during your cruise. Thank you, Thank you, Carnival Glory for a great trip. Now can someone tell me how this thing called a stove works?

It is my choice to study and work towards a job that does not require tips. That does not mean I think I am above anyone. That is my choice according to what my interest are.

I worked for 10 years in retail and delt with people like you everyday and did not receive a tip. My wife has worked in retail for 16 years and have never received a tip.

So, just go ahead and make your comments personal and nasty, it just shows your one of those *** holes your talking about. Have a wonderful evening.

I would differ with your opinion as to what you pay for. Read the brochures they send out and listen to what they advertise. Servicing of the room is something you pay for.

You never know where you will be in 10 years. Have a nice evening yourself :).

More than one point to make here.

First - I have not read one post from not one poster that said I WILL NOT TIP ON THE CRUISE. EVERYONE WHO POSTED SAID THEY TIP IN WHATEVER WAY THEY FIND APPROPRIATE.

Second - No one forces anyone to work in gratuity based industries.

Third - A gratuity is defined by mirriam-webster as " something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service".

Fourth - Not everyone who earns a substandard wage deserves a tip.

Fifth - There are millions of people in the USA that earn WAAAYYYYY less and have a MMUUUCCCHHH higher cost of living than cruise ship workers( in total take home pay ) and they are responsible for your lifestyle 24/7/52. Such as farm workers, seamstresses, retail store employees, non-union health care workers, I could go on and on. Not a one of them gets a tip from anyone here I am sure.

Sixth - When you pay your cruise fare you pay for the whole enchilada. Even the cruiselines acknowledge that, they suggest tipping the staff and give guidelines on how they think you should. If a person chose to, they could disembark with a sail and sign bill of $0. Once you pay your cruisefare you have no other obligation to spend one thin dime. 99.9% do but they do not have to.

This is for Mikel24m - I am in Bloomfield. We have not tipped gas station attendants since the 80's.They haven't raised the wages much but no one I know tips them anymore. Since self serve is illegal here in the Garden state tell me do you tip the exxon guy?

A very well thought out tip remover lol

Actually, I have stated over and over ad nauseum I remove the auto-gratuities as soon as the cruiseline allows.

In fact day/evening one, I go to the pursers dask and tell them I do not authorize them to charge gratuities to my credit card.

Sometimes I have filled out a form, somethimes they tell me I have to come back.

Either way I remove them asap.

I do not tip in advance or service ever anywhere.

I do not put my socks on first then wash my feet either, some things just don't make sense. LOl :eek:

More than one point to make here.

First - I have not read one post from not one poster that said I WILL NOT TIP ON THE CRUISE. EVERYONE WHO POSTED SAID THEY TIP IN WHATEVER WAY THEY FIND APPROPRIATE.

Second - No one forces anyone to work in gratuity based industries.

Third - A gratuity is defined by mirriam-webster as " something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service".

Fourth - Not everyone who earns a substandard wage deserves a tip.

Fifth - There are millions of people in the USA that earn WAAAYYYYY less and have a MMUUUCCCHHH higher cost of living than cruise ship workers( in total take home pay ) and they are responsible for your lifestyle 24/7/52. Such as farm workers, seamstresses, retail store employees, non-union health care workers, I could go on and on. Not a one of them gets a tip from anyone here I am sure.

Sixth - When you pay your cruise fare you pay for the whole enchilada. Even the cruiselines acknowledge that, they suggest tipping the staff and give guidelines on how they think you should. If a person chose to, they could disembark with a sail and sign bill of $0. Once you pay your cruisefare you have no other obligation to spend one thin dime. 99.9% do but they do not have to.

This is for Mikel24m - I am in Bloomfield. We have not tipped gas station attendants since the 80's.They haven't raised the wages much but no one I know tips them anymore. Since self serve is illegal here in the Garden state tell me do you tip the exxon guy?

we do indeed tip the guys at Wawa.We know them by name and they know us as well.Sorry for tipping lol

we do indeed tip the guys at Wawa.We know them by name and they know us as well.Sorry for tipping lol

No apology necessary. I am actually glad you don't patronize Exxon lol. I think you should tip who you please. We don't tip at the gas station. When I was younger I tipped bartenders in advance but not for extra service. I did it because I couldn't be sure I would remember to tip later :o.I tip my hairdresser and shampoo girl after my coiffure not whilst still shaggy. But you get the idea by now. Agree to disagree. Wishing you fair winds and following seas :).

Let me get this straight. Cruise lines doesnt pay their employees a decent wadge, the employee does not meet the guarentee, the cruse line blames the customer and the customer is called a cheapskate.

Take your evil discriptions to the source of this, the cruise lines.

So some have wanted to degrade those who have a different opinion, yet they have not answered the questions asked.

What do you pay for when you pay a fee? Why should we double pay for a service? Who sets the standard of what a service is worth as far as a gratuity is concerned? Shouldn't a person be to determine what bonus they give someone for a bad, good, superior job? Why should the customer have to pay the whole wage when they work for the cruise lines? If you don't feel gratitude, do you still give a gratuity.

What do you pay for? Good question! As far as I can tell, the unlimited food alone makes up for the cost of the cruise, me carting along THREEE teenage boys, who can eat their own body weight daily. That being said.....I still feel like you're sorta lost in the ethics of the matter. Carnival is NOT going to subsidize the wages of the workers if you don't tip them. Even WITH the daily auto-gratuities, cruising is one of the best bargains around. I pay my tips with a smile on my face and STILL feel that I have gotten a hella bargain.

What do you pay for? Good question! As far as I can tell, the unlimited food alone makes up for the cost of the cruise, me carting along THREEE teenage boys, who can eat their own body weight daily. That being said.....I still feel like you're sorta lost in the ethics of the matter. Carnival is NOT going to subsidize the wages of the workers if you don't tip them. Even WITH the daily auto-gratuities, cruising is one of the best bargains around. I pay my tips with a smile on my face and STILL feel that I have gotten a hella bargain.

What ethics. Whoes ethics? Something that you determine is right? My ethics say that if you employee someone that you pay the appropriately. Again, when did a bonus become their whole wage. Under those circumstances, surely the Crusie is not ethical or they would pay them.

You seem to miss a lot of what has been written. This was never about "should I tip" but should we leave auto tips on or pay what cruise lines guidelines. We know the cruise line is looking out for their best interest and not the customers.

We had four people in a cabin. The suggest rate was $13.50 per day per person for seven days. That is $378 extra. Not so much of a bargin then. I am glad you get over when you boys eat, But we don't eat that much. My ethics tell me that if I eat less food there will be more for the starving children around the world. Which I support as well and have voluntered with organizations that do.

So, you have no right to question my ethics, which may be different that yours.

Sometimes we go to the speciality resturants to get a better meal. What is in the speciality resturants with regards to food and service is about like it was when we first started cruising.

Best thing I've done for cruiseing.

Pre paid tips.

Didnt worry about it.

This was RCCL.

Three night cruise, last night there were alot of empty chaire in the dinning room.

Cheap sob's.

There goes the name calling again. I appreciate your opinion and respect that you pre pay tips. But you make some assumption's about people that may not be true just because they did not show up.

Have you read what this post way about. It was not about not tipping, it was about automatic gratuities. If you read through you will notice that most in the discussion give tips. How much and when is the question.

Please read the whole thread.

Archived