Vancouver to Hawaii in September

We are considering booking Rhapsody for a Sept. cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii. We're ok with many sea days IF the weather is decent. I know weather can be unpredictable, but can anyone tell me if GENERALLY the weather in the Pacific in mid-September is conducive to sitting on deck, sunning, etc. Or will it be very cold?

We are considering booking Rhapsody for a Sept. cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii. We're ok with many sea days IF the weather is decent. I know weather can be unpredictable, but can anyone tell me if GENERALLY the weather in the Pacific in mid-September is conducive to sitting on deck, sunning, etc. Or will it be very cold?

First couple of days I'm sure it will be a little chilly. Good thing they have the "Crystal Canopy" that they can close and allow the sun to still get in while you stay toasty warm. After that, you should be far enough south that the weather will be considerably warmer.

We did the same cruise on the Rhapsody in 2009 leaving Vancouver on September 17th. As the previous poster said, it can be cool for the first day or two, but I do not remember it ever being uncomfortably cold. We sat out on our balcony and read several times and were very comfortable with shorts and short sleeved shirts on. At times, the DW wore a sleeveless, lightweight jacket on the first couple of days. The seas may have been unusually calm on our cruise, but I remember at one point halfway to Hawaii the seas were almost flat and I thought how similar it was to being on a large inland lake when there was little wind. We did not have any problem with the number of consecutive sea days, although we were concerned that we might prior to the trip. We had plenty to do every day, but felt very relaxed and rested by the time we reached Hawaii. We had great weather in Hawaii as well. I believe the disembarkation was on 10/1.

We really liked the Rhapsody! It was our first cruise in over 20 years and got us hooked on cruising. With the improvements just made to Rhapsody in drydock, it should be a whole new experience for our upcoming Alaska itinerary this summer. :)

Go for it ! We did it in 2010 and 2011.

There was always indoor entertainment provided on the sea days. Both years we had dancers from the Polynesian Cultural Center. They were great. Unfortunately, they were so great and visible in 2010 that we were a little disappointed in 2011. In 2010 they regularly performed on the pool deck as well as in the centrum. In 2011 we only saw them in the centrum.

We also had the wonderful Hawaiian Trio for both years.

The cruise is so great! Relax and enjoy your five sea days and then enjoy exploring the Hawaiian islands at your leisure.

As far as weather is concerned, it can be hit or miss. In 2010 the 1st sea day was cool but we still enjoyed it. In 2011 the first two days were cool and somewhat rainy. Any cruise can have bad weather. You must always go with an open mind.

I grew up just south of Vancouver and it is gorgeous in Sept., you just have to expect anywhere in the NW always has a cool breeze blowing through, even when it is perfectly sunny out. Just do what we do when visit - bring a sweater. I'd take that cruise in a minute, too bad it conflicts with school - have fun!

Archived