So Long Carnivial.... It's Been Real.. But I Have To Say GOODBYE!!!

Big Jay

I too am looking for solo rates. Carnival is always more money. I have been checking for quite some time. For Balcony rooms its cheaper to do FOS. Some of the dates I looked at were for May 2012 (for expamle). Ecstacy was more money than RCL FOS for 7 nights compared to 5.

Yes it is for an inside. Leaves more money for other things. So I understand his point.

I've Just Returned, From The 5-05-12 Sailing On Carnivial Freedom!!! I Had A Great Time, But I Will NOT Be Sailing Carnivial In The Near Future!!!

I Sail Solo, And Carnivial Got Rid Of The Solo Supplement, And No Matter How Much Fun I Have... I Can't See Myself Paying A 200% Supplement To Sail Carnivial:eek:!!!

So Royal Caribbean, Princess, Norwegian, Look Out.. Here I Come!!!:p

Haha, I did the same thing when Carnival got rid the 150% solo prices. I knew Carnival has to maintain bottom prices to fill cabins. And I was not going to pay double and subsidize those who could sail in couples. It's simple not a line good enough line to worth 200%.

I began to seriously cruise Royal and Norwegian. Sure I did those before but was like only once every two years or so. Now I cruise those two lines regularly more than Carnival, and am VERY glad I did expand out. It's been fantastic trying out new lines. This year I kind of focus on Royal till I reach Diamond (I am only points away from Emerald but that's a useless level) then I will start trying Celebrity. And Princess is also on my radar.

Funny thing is in the past couple of years my financial situation improved tremendously. No longer a new graduate and struggling entrepreneur. Our company was successfully sold and the original founders including me are now all doing very well. And on top of it, I am no longer single. :D I still cruise Carnival (nothing less than a balcony now) when there is a good deal. As I said luckily i no longer need to search the bottom priced deal, but an overall good deal. The new Breeze sounds fantastic to me.

But there is NO need to stay loyal to ANY line. None of them is worth it. I always find the loyal cheerleaders on these boards too funny.

Although the Epic does offer single studio cabins (or something like that) at 150%.

Nope, no single supplement at all. Although the start price is higher than you'd think. But the cabin is awesome! Futuristic looking, very cool sci-fi decor. Much better than anything Carnival has. Porthole or not. But again I always prefer high decks no matter what and portholes are rarely on high decks.

Tell Me About It!!! I've Just Returned From The 5-05-12 Sailing From Fll!!!

We Went To Grand Turk, Dominician Republic, Aruba, Curacao!!!! Great Ports!!! Great Time!!!!

I'm So Glad That I Booked This Cruise, BEFORE The 200% Supplement!!!:D

The discounted single rate has been gone for a long time. Did you just figure this out?

I Agree Wholeheartly With You!!! It's Just That Carnivial Is Not Offering Any Good Deals!!! Therefore... I Have To Go Elsewhere!!!!! I'm NOT Loyal To Any One Cruiseline!!!!

Wer'e In A "DEPRESSION"!!

Just Grateful, And "Blessed" To Travel In These Harsh Economic Times!!!:o

I am looking at 2013 cruises from Baltimore to Bermuda and Canada/New England. My only 2 choices are Carnival and RCCL. Carnival's solo prices are much less for both cruises because I can get a porthole cabin at the inside rate, not something I can get with RCCL, where I have to price at the outside rate. There are lots of good deals from Carnival. It all depends on which cruises you are looking at.

Haha, I did the same thing when Carnival got rid the 150% solo prices. I knew Carnival has to maintain bottom prices to fill cabins. And I was not going to pay double and subsidize those who could sail in couples. It's simple not a line good enough line to worth 200%.

I began to seriously cruise Royal and Norwegian. Sure I did those before but was like only once every two years or so. Now I cruise those two lines regularly more than Carnival, and am VERY glad I did expand out. It's been fantastic trying out new lines. This year I kind of focus on Royal till I reach Diamond (I am only points away from Emerald but that's a useless level) then I will start trying Celebrity. And Princess is also on my radar.

Funny thing is in the past couple of years my financial situation improved tremendously. No longer a new graduate and struggling entrepreneur. Our company was successfully sold and the original founders including me are now all doing very well. And on top of it, I am no longer single. :D I still cruise Carnival (nothing less than a balcony now) when there is a good deal. As I said luckily i no longer need to search the bottom priced deal, but an overall good deal. The new Breeze sounds fantastic to me.

But there is NO need to stay loyal to ANY line. None of them is worth it. I always find the loyal cheerleaders on these boards too funny.

Nope, no single supplement at all. Although the start price is higher than you'd think. But the cabin is awesome! Futuristic looking, very cool sci-fi decor. Much better than anything Carnival has. Porthole or not. But again I always prefer high decks no matter what and portholes are rarely on high decks.

How are you subsidizing someone else's cruise?

Always misinformationi

Epic studios are NOT 150% they are 0% surcharge for a solo cruiser

Other options are single cruise groups...roommate matching

Royal is not cheaper than Carnival, probably more expensive

MSC is a very "odd" Italian line but they have some totally super solo rates on their Caribbean sailings , last minute deals

NCL is the only line that seems to cater to solos and singles with the Epic studios and studio "lounge" ...they have a singles meet there every night and a dedicated host/hostess for solos and singles

Princess Ruby 7-Night Eastern Caribbean $1058 (Solo)

Norwegian Breakaway (Brand NEW Ship) Leaving From My Homeport, NYC, $1065!!! (Solo)

Carnivial Freedom 8-Night Southern Caribbean $1247, 5-05-12, ( Airfare, Transfers, Not Included)

Haven't read the whole thread yet....but I am not sure these are fair comparisons.

8 day Freedom versus 7 day Princess and NCL - first off and then the Southern Carribean itinerary compared with regular eastern the Bahamas.

Itinerary is a BIG factor for us - we would pay "more" for Southern versus Eastern any time and we will pay nothing for the Bahamas - even on the Breakaway! :o

That being said - I understand your frustration. But....I am just not sure you are comparing apples to apples - so to speak.

I am looking at 2013 cruises from Baltimore to Bermuda and Canada/New England. My only 2 choices are Carnival and RCCL. Carnival's solo prices are much less for both cruises because I can get a porthole cabin at the inside rate, not something I can get with RCCL, where I have to price at the outside rate. There are lots of good deals from Carnival. It all depends on which cruises you are looking at.
That My Be The Case.... But For The Cruises I Was Looking At, The Prices Were Higher, And CHEAPER For Me To Fly To Fort Lauderdale, Than Leave From NYC, My Homeport!!!!!! $1603 Carnivial Splendor Inside Cabin Main Deck April 2013, Ruby Princess $1058 Inside Room Plaza Deck!!

So Ruby Princess Works For ME!!!!!!!!!:)

How are you subsidizing someone else's cruise?

Putting 1 person in a cabin at a discount to 2 people in the same cabin.

The bottom line is still the bottom line. When the cruise prices go up to compensate for the loss in revenue, I am subsidizing them.

In addition, the loss of income to the cabin stewards and other staff. It is much the same effort whether 1 or 2 people in the cabin. Recommend tips could increase and not just because of cheap people.

When the fuel surcharge comes back, 1 person in a cabin pays substantially less than a family of 4 in the same cabin. The cabins themselves still weigh substantially the same.

etc. etc.

The bottom line is still the bottom line. When the cruise prices go up to compensate for the loss in revenue, I am subsidizing them.

In addition, the loss of income to the cabin stewards and other staff. It is much the same effort whether 1 or 2 people in the cabin. Recommend tips could increase and not just because of cheap people.

When the fuel surcharge comes back, 1 person in a cabin pays substantially less than a family of 4 in the same cabin. The cabins themselves still weigh substantially the same.

etc. etc.

I wasn't quoting you. I don't think your original comment about subsidizing was the same as the person I quoted.

etc. etc.

How Can You Subsidize Someone, When The Person Is Already Paying Double???? Duh!!! If It's $569.00 P/P, And Me As A SOLO Paying $1138, How Are You Helping/Subsidizing?????

I Could Care Less What Carnivial Pays It's Employess, Or Their Bottomline!!!

I Don't REMOVE Tips!! So I'm Doing MY Part!!!!!

lol

Royal is at times MUCH cheaper than Carnival. Especially last minute on shorter cruises in Nov/Dec.

Thanks for taking things out of context

The first misinformation was that Epic is 150% rate on a studio cabin

I addressed that...but you cut that info out

frankly I would not go on an older short Royal cruise...why bother?? Short cruises in Nov Dec are always cheap

but who wants to be in the Bahamas then, not really tropical

So, now that we are totally off topic it looks like CCL used to be 150% and is now 200%...

NCL is the ONLY line that has dedicated solo cabins with no upcharge but they are not cheap to begin with.

RCCL and a few other lines will discount last minute cruises that are selling poorly, but you can't get the less than 200% on ANY sailing, only on the ones that they offer...

So, technically, NCL is the ONLY cruise line that NEVER charges 200% to sail solo...

Thanks for taking things out of context

The first misinformation was that Epic is 150% rate on a studio cabin

I addressed that...but you cut that info out

frankly I would not go on an older short Royal cruise...why bother?? Short cruises in Nov Dec are always cheap

but who wants to be in the Bahamas then, not really tropical

Im talking about Liberty of the seas and Jewel. Wouldnt consider them older ships. They dont sail to the Bahamas...Western Caribbean cruises.

Its only a matter of time before they all start charging the full double occupancy prices. Carnival is not suffering by solo cuisers leaving, they'll just sell the cabin to two more passengers spending twice as much. I sail solo and as far as I see it, I'm paying for the convenience to have my own cabin.

I compare all the lines and prices. Sometimes once you factor the ports, transport etc. I just prefer the Carnival experience over the others. I've done CCL, RCL and NCL, had good times on all and also have had "overlookable" situations on all.

Its only a matter of time before they all start charging the full double occupancy prices. Carnival is not suffering by solo cuisers leaving, they'll just sell the cabin to two more passengers spending twice as much. I sail solo and as far as I see it, I'm paying for the convenience to have my own cabin.

I compare all the lines and prices. Sometimes once you factor the ports, transport etc. I just prefer the Carnival experience over the others. I've done CCL, RCL and NCL, had good times on all and also have had "overlookable" situations on all.

The reason the other lines do it is to fill cabins last min. They will continue to lower the supplement to get cabins filled.

Carnival does a better job at offering lower rates initially, so last min they can resort to pack and go to fill the remaining cabins.

wonder why they did away with the share a cabin program they had years ago.

Pax were ending up with solo cabins. Men would get in the share program and request a balcony and Carnival couldnt always find a match.

I *think* HAL still have a share program.

Thats about the last thing I would want, I pay more to have a room to myself, not share with a stranger.

So, now that we are totally off topic it looks like CCL used to be 150% and is now 200%...

NCL is the ONLY line that has dedicated solo cabins with no upcharge but they are not cheap to begin with.

RCCL and a few other lines will discount last minute cruises that are selling poorly, but you can't get the less than 200% on ANY sailing, only on the ones that they offer...

So, technically, NCL is the ONLY cruise line that NEVER charges 200% to sail solo...

Not True!!! I'm Cruising On Freedom Of The Seas, Paid $982.70! Late Sept/Early Oct!!!! Paying $ 1058 For My Ruby Princess, April, 2013 Sailing!!!! Other Lines DO Offer Discounts!!! Carnivial Just Isn't!! Well.. Not For Solo Cruisers!!!:mad:

when do you not pay double on RCL? When i was going to cruise solo last year on the freedom of the seas, I had to pay double (as you would on carnival) and then when my mom said she could go, i had to pay a $50 fee PLUS the difference in fare, the original cost for me alone was $2000, adding my mom costed me an additional $1500 for a total of $3500....:eek: for crappy food and service i wont be sailing them again

How Can You Subsidize Someone, When The Person Is Already Paying Double???? Duh!!! If It's $569.00 P/P, And Me As A SOLO Paying $1138, How Are You Helping/Subsidizing?????

I Could Care Less What Carnivial Pays It's Employess, Or Their Bottomline!!!

I Don't REMOVE Tips!! So I'm Doing MY Part!!!!!

If you DIDN'T pay double I would be subsidizing YOU! Duh!!!

Archived