RCC Cassis Excursion

lmarie65

We are cruising Med on RCC June 16, 2012 and having difficulty with our plans in Toulon/La Seyne Sur Mer. I'm concerned about the amount of time it takes to travel to Cassis, see the sites, then return to ship on time if we do it ourselves. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the RCC Cassis excursion. The cruise line provides minimal information as to the itinerary. Can anyone provide some insight?

We are cruising Med on RCC June 16, 2012 and having difficulty with our plans in Toulon/La Seyne Sur Mer. I'm concerned about the amount of time it takes to travel to Cassis, see the sites, then return to ship on time if we do it ourselves. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the RCC Cassis excursion. The cruise line provides minimal information as to the itinerary. Can anyone provide some insight?

Cassis is only 25 miles/40 minutes or so from La Seyne--easily done by car.

The first time we were there, we visited Sanary-sur-Mer, Bandol, and Cassis easily. Last time we did Le Castellet (great hill town), with lunch and the afternoon in Sanary (both times by rental car).

Is there any easy way to get to Cassis from Seyne-sur-Mer using public transportation? It appears from what I've been reading that LOS uses Seyne-sur-Mer rather than Toulon. We are traveling with 2 other families w/ a total of 10 children. I thought some beach time and lunch/shopping would work well for this day. But I haven't figured out how to get to Cassis, everything I've read makes it sound a little difficult. If anyone has done this, I would love to hear what you did and how it went. Thanks!

Is there any easy way to get to Cassis from Seyne-sur-Mer using public transportation? It appears from what I've been reading that LOS uses Seyne-sur-Mer rather than Toulon. We are traveling with 2 other families w/ a total of 10 children. I thought some beach time and lunch/shopping would work well for this day. But I haven't figured out how to get to Cassis, everything I've read makes it sound a little difficult. If anyone has done this, I would love to hear what you did and how it went. Thanks!

We are traveling with our 5 kids and I never could figure out an easy way to get to Cassis so we booked a private driver for the day. We are using:

tour.designer@provence-travel.com

It is 470Euros for the day (about 6 hours). It was very frustrating getting this port figured out.

La Seyne-sur-Mer is on the main Toulon--Marseille line. The SNCF (train)station is about 8 Kms (5 miles) from the dock--Google-map it and use "Complexe Sportif Stade Max Juvenal" (the dock is very close to there), and "Gare SNCF La Seyne-sur-Mer" for directions and to get the lay of the land.

Trains to Cassis take 30 mins and depart at 0800/0829/0930, and return from Cassis at 1401/1501/1531/1600/1630/1700.

Cassis is a fun town to explore, with the usual cafes and restaurants ringing its smallish harbour. Make sure to take the kids to La Cure Gourmande (cookies/chocolate/local goodies), just up the Ave. Victor Hugo from the east end of the harbour. They also run boat tours of varying lengths to the nearby 'Calanques', a series of fjiord-like inlets. Nearby are a few beaches, unless you'd rather try Bandol (a beach/resort town,9 mins west of La Seyne)--the train stops there--about a half-mile walk from the train to the beach.

The harbour area of Cassis is about 1.5 miles or so from the train station, so a taxi might be in order.

If you decide to stay closer to La Seyne, we really like Sanary-sur-Mer---nice town, small port, beach right there, small fun fair (rides, et cetera) for the kids. It's about 7 miles from where the ship docks...I don't know, but would think that you could get there by local bus. You could easily spend a (nice) day there.

The local TI people set up a tent at the pier on port days, and are very friendly and helpful--check with them.

We have stopped twice, once at Toulon, and once at La Seyne-sur-Mer, and have loved our days there--you just have to work a little harder at it than at some ports.

Enjoy your day in Provence!

Thanks so much for all the detailed information! I will check out the bus schedules. I had read a report that taxi are few are far between at some of these towns, especially on Sunday, so I don't want to make any plans that rely on taxis. If the bus will work though, that would be great. Thanks!

You're most welcome, but, on further reflection, I went back and double-checked on the location of the pier in La Seyne. Use "Russo Yachting, La Seyne-sur-Mer, France" as the google map location-my memory failed me in my previous post. It's only 3.7 Kms (2 1/4 miles) from there to the (La Seyne) train station ("la Gare"--"la gar", or "SNCF"--"ess-en-say-eff").

There's also some great info on a recently resurrected post here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1226994

Bon voyage!

Archived